Moves
    24 Nov '20 01:041 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 08:593 edits
    Many scientific discoveries, as well as many new scientific mysteries, are discovered by scientists accidentally. That doesn't imply in any way that scientists in general don't "know what they are doing" nor would it in any way imply that there is something wrong with their methodology nor with their general way of thinking. Apply sound scientific method for long enough and there is pretty much bound to be at least one accidental discovery and that fact can even be taken as a sign, of sorts, that scientific method works.
    Many such scientific discoveries that have been discovered by scientists accidentally have had benefits, or at least significant consequences bad or good, for humanity (see link below) and that includes penicillin; -and how many lives have been saved by penicillin?

https://www.sciencealert.com/these-eighteen-accidental-scientific-discoveries-changed-the-world
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 17:451 edit

4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 18:218 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I honestly do not understand your complaint against us in the slightest.
    Did somebody here say science can do anything such as move whole stars and galaxies or tell us the exact age of the universe specifically with an accuracy within one trillionth of a second?
    Obviously nobody here denies science has limits.
    Exactly what kind "limits" are your referring to here and give an example of when and where one of us here denied one of those limits and exactly which one...
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 18:39

6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 19:311 edit
    To the best of my recollection, I have never have seen any post on this science forum that does any of those things.
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 19:541 edit
    Blaming science for oppression is like blaming gravity when you fall off the roof.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 19:561 edit

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 19:593 edits

10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 21:142 edits
    One should not just cherry-pick the many good uses to which science has been put
    and say 'Bravo for science!' while ignoring the bad uses to which science has
    been put
    which one of us here has ever said "Bravo for science!" while denying science has sometimes been used for evil?
    and say 'But that does not count because it's not really science".
    If something isn't science then science cannot be blamed for it.
    Racism has never been part of real science because science comes from real empirical evidence, not mere hearsay of empirical evidence.
    Nobody here as far as I am aware has ever supported this 'scientific racism' so I really still honestly don't understand what you have got against us here. You cannot blame us for something other people, not us, once did.
    My point is that a scientist can do both good work and bad work.
    Which, given nobody here denies a scientist can do bad, isn't a point.
    A scientist could discover a cure for a disease and also, using a 'scientific method',
    conclude that white people are intrinsically superior to non-white people
    No, he cannot. Not with any valid scientific method. The word 'superior', at least in this narrow context, has no scientific meaning, let alone rep something that scientific method can be applied to.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '20 23:03

12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 07:402 edits
    I haven't noticed any of that here but, even if I had, that's not the same thing as 'scientific racism'.

Humy prefers to attack the strawman of it being a literal quote.
    No, I prefer that you clarify what the hell you are talking about because I'm not a mind reader.
    The 'scientific racists' said that they applied the 'scientific method' as much to questions of 'race' as they did in their other scientific work.
    We are not those 'scientific racists'. I for one have seen no evidence that any of us here are these 'scientific racists'. Perhaps you would like to explain yourself, making apparent unfounded and unprovoked accusations against us? And why this apparent prejudice against scientists and science?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 08:17

14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 15:48
    I think these points as stated are pretty obvious. But earlier you had written that scientists are overidealized and intimated that science was the cause of oppression. Those things are both untrue.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '20 19:061 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree