1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:29
    Been working on a plasma deposition machine for 3 solid months at my new job and finally today got a smoothly working machine running 900 watts of RF into an RF planar magnetron sputtering target that ran 150 scans over a 3 hour period, first time this year that anything like that level of performance for that machine.

it had many problems including an RF generator operating at the medical frequency of 13.56 Mhz but unable to put out more than about 700 watts. I pretty much rebuilt that generator and now it can put out 1800 watts, in fact had to cut down the peak to its normal 1500 watts max.

Then there were problems with interface chips in the computer causing computer crashes, bad cable connections, bad target (silicon carbide in this case) connections to the RF, water cooling lines too close to the RF feeds sucking off RF to the water!

Just one problem after another and I knocked them all down like bowling pins and it just did a really smooth run, now we get to measure what the thickness of the silicon carbide layer will be and then correlate it to another similar machine so it can go into production for real. Great day for me.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 23:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Been working on a plasma deposition machine for 3 solid months at my new job and finally today got a smoothly working machine running 900 watts of RF into an RF planar magnetron sputtering target that ran 150 scans over a 3 hour period, first time this year that anything like that level of performance for that machine.

it had many problems including an ...[text shortened]... correlate it to another similar machine so it can go into production for real. Great day for me.
    I just got notification I will be presenting the results of all this to the owner of our company, who was getting a bit antsy about how long it was taking to get this machine up and running! So I will get a bit of personal credit for this work! Really good day.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 02:16
    Cool.

I recent read some research on rocket engine construction using plasma deposition,
    and slowly altering the blend of materiel being deposited (on the interior of the
    combustion chamber) so that the coating materiel doesn't flake off with thermal
    expansion/cracking and thus increasing the useful engine life by orders of magnitude.

What's your baby going to be making? (if it's not too much to ask)
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 15:24
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Cool.

I recent read some research on rocket engine construction using plasma deposition,
    and slowly altering the blend of materiel being deposited (on the interior of the
    combustion chamber) so that the coating materiel doesn't flake off with thermal
    expansion/cracking and thus increasing the useful engine life by orders of magnitude.

What's your baby going to be making? (if it's not too much to ask)
    Our company has been making thermal printheads for a long long time but the old way is called 'thick film' using techniques more akin to screen printing than semiconductor tech. We are developing a thin head version that is more in line with modern semiconductor techniques, uses way less of everything like silver, photoresist, gold, and the like. It turns out to be pretty complex to make these printheads this way but our thin film team is me and two material scientists, one has a Phd from Cornell and undergrad at MIT! Pretty heavy team.

Well I just got back from the meeting with the owner of the company, Om, and it went really well! I did in 3 months what the other folks who worked on the tool had not done in over a year. They notice stuff like that for sure๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:47
    Our company has been making thermal printheads for a long long time but the old way is called 'thick film' using techniques more akin to screen printing than semiconductor tech. We are developing a thin head version that is more in line with modern semiconductor techniques, uses way less of everything like silver, photoresist, gold, and the like. It turns o ...[text shortened]... lks who worked on the tool had not done in over a year. They notice stuff like that for sure๐Ÿ™‚
    Congrats!
    Love it when hard work produces something!
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 09:48
    Our company has been making thermal printheads for a long long time but the old way is called 'thick film' using techniques more akin to screen printing than semiconductor tech. We are developing a thin head version that is more in line with modern semiconductor techniques, uses way less of everything like silver, photoresist, gold, and the like. It turns o ...[text shortened]... lks who worked on the tool had not done in over a year. They notice stuff like that for sure๐Ÿ™‚
    I hope everything works out okay. Like my grandfather used to say,
    "If the Lord is willing and the devil don't object."
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 19:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I hope everything works out okay. Like my grandfather used to say,
    "If the Lord is willing and the devil don't object."
    So far it has worked out better than any other job I ever had. Too bad it had to come at the age of 70 and too bad it is 160 miles commute round trip. That's the only downside.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 21:23
    So far it has worked out better than any other job I ever had. Too bad it had to come at the age of 70 and too bad it is 160 miles commute round trip. That's the only downside.
    Sounds like a great gig. And 70 is the new 55, I hear.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 21:25
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Sounds like a great gig. And 70 is the new 55, I hear.
    Sure is with me anyway! When I play blitz and later tell them I am 7/10th of a century old, they are aghast and say I play like a young man!
  10. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 05:34
    Congrats Sonhouse! ๐Ÿ™‚
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 15:49
    Originally posted by shahenshah
    Congrats Sonhouse! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks! Job still going well.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 07:33
    Thats great!! well done
    You smart cookie ๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree