Problems with Science

Problems with Science

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by Soothfast
Would that you granted legitimate scientists the same favor.
I do, if they are legitimate scientists and design engineers.

F

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by HarrisonBergeron
How about if you believe the moon landings were faked, can you be scientific then? What if you believe 9/11 was staged by the US government, can you be scientific then? An irrational belief doesn't need to be a stumbling block to doing scientific research.
Q: "How about if you believe the moon landings were faked, can you be scientific then?"
A: No. There are no science confirming moon landing were faked. Do you really believe that?

Q: "What if you believe 9/11 was staged by the US government, can you be scientific then?"
A: No. There are no science confirming that 9/11 was staged by the US government. Do you really believe that?

Q: "What if you believe the Earth was created only 6000 years ago, can you be scientific then?"
A: No. There are no science confirming that the Earth was created only 6000 years ago. How can anyone really believe that?

That's why I call it an oxymoron.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Q: "How about if you believe the moon landings were faked, can you be scientific then?"
A: No. There are no science confirming moon landing were faked. Do you really believe that?

Q: "What if you believe 9/11 was staged by the US government, can you be scientific then?"
A: No. There are no science confirming that 9/11 was staged by the US government. ...[text shortened]... ed only 6000 years ago. How can anyone really believe that?

That's why I call it an oxymoron.
On the third question, there is science showing the earth could be approximately 6,000 years old. In fact, I just posted some information on scientific experiments and tests that supports the idea that the earth could be about 6,000 years old. I am waiting for sonhouse to refute this before I present other information that supports a young earth.

F

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
On the third question, there is science showing the earth could be approximately 6,000 years old. In fact, I just posted some information on scientific experiments and tests that supports the idea that the earth could be about 6,000 years old. I am waiting for sonhouse to refute this before I present other information that supports a young earth.
"there is science showing the earth could be approximately 6,000 years old."
No (*sigh*) there isn't.

Sonhouse and others try numerous of times to show you evidence of an old Earth. You just don't understand it. And you don't want to understand it because you are not able to.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by HarrisonBergeron
How about if you believe the moon landings were faked, can you be scientific then? What if you believe 9/11 was staged by the US government, can you be scientific then? An irrational belief doesn't need to be a stumbling block to doing scientific research.
It depends on the field they are working in. A YEC working in some field not related to geology or cosmology may do perfectly good work, but a YEC working in a field relevant to creation has this bias.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Apr 14
5 edits

Originally posted by DeepThought
It depends on the field they are working in. A YEC working in some field not related to geology or cosmology may do perfectly good work, but a YEC working in a field relevant to creation has this bias.
A YEC scientists who is into multi-discipline science should see his or her own bias since they would know what works in on science should work in another, say geology, age of rocks and so forth.

I would be personally hesitant to hire a known YEC scientist for fear this bias would interfere with ANY discipline they work on. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them and I get weaker day by day.....

One thought (of my own): Suppose the world really began in the year minus 4000 and all the fossils we see now would have to have been multiplied by a million. With all the life we see today, every cubic meter of dirt would contain a thousand fossils since we know, for instance, the human race has billions alive now and probably a trillion alive at one point or other so all those bones would have to have been buried in the last 6000 years and so there would be thousands of times the bones we see buried today.

Explain THAT one YECers.

Also this one: Hubble telescope has refined the direct parallax measurement of the distance to stars to a distance of 10,000 light years. We can directly measure a star 10,000 light years away so the light from it came from 10,000 years ago, 4000 years before the Earth and supposedly, the universe, was created.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-hubble-stellar-tape-space.html

Or this: The magma spreading out from where the continents are drifting apart and the magnetic recording of the state of the magnetic field of the earth at the time, a recording of past events directly read out in the magnetic remnants recorded in that now solid magma:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/fosrec/Metzger3.html

That stately separation of continents has been going on for millions of years, and the last 6000 years of that spread would amount to just 500 feet and we see a LOT more than 500 feet of spread. In order to explain that, the YEC would have to say it went faster in the past and that would have led to changes that would have been easily visible.

Like mountains ten times higher than what we have today since the squishing forces would have come so fast erosion would not have had time to level them out, as just one example, to say nothing of the fact the whole Earth would be cooked to a crisp with the heat of whole continents squishing together or spreading apart a thousand times faster than we see today.

YEC's, explain all that. I'm sure you will find some rationalization for it all but enlighten us.

Tell us why the signs of such things are not visible on Earth now, the highest mountain about 6 miles high only, where instead of an inch a year of spreading continents, it would have to have been more like a foot a DAY.

Surely you could visualize what kind of energy that would add to the heat of the Earth when an entire continent moves a foot in a day or a meter in say 3 days. 10 meters a month.

Think long and hard about that much movement of the Earth YEC's.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
A YEC scientists who is into multi-discipline science should see his or her own bias since they would know what works in on science should work in another, say geology, age of rocks and so forth.

I would be personally hesitant to hire a known YEC scientist for fear this bias would interfere with ANY discipline they work on. I wouldn't trust them as far a ...[text shortened]... 3 days. 10 meters a month.

For one thing, the US and Asia are right now rushing towards each other at about an inch a year. So times a thousand and beginning 4000 years ago, the US and Asia would have run right over one another, there would be no Japan, Korea, and all that. We would have been one big continent like what happened 200 million odd years ago.

F

Moves
11 Apr 14

For one thing, the US and Asia are right now rushing towards each other at about an inch a year. So times a thousand and beginning 4000 years ago, the US and Asia would have run right over one another, there would be no Japan, Korea, and all that. We would have been one big continent like what happened 200 million odd years ago.
1000 times 6000 years = 6 million years isn't enough. Better is 100,000 times to see the effect we see today.

Impossible... but on the other hand, They will not believe it anyway. "God did it that way." Or they will not understand it. Or pretend some...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
1000 times 6000 years = 6 million years isn't enough. Better is 100,000 times to see the effect we see today.

Impossible... but on the other hand, They will not believe it anyway. "God did it that way." Or they will not understand it. Or pretend some...
Yes, I way underestimated the amount of movement required. I just stuck my finger in the air to say 1000:1 but it should be like you say, at least 50,000:1

my ten meters per day would then be 500 meters per day. That would be 68 feet per hour of movement or about 1 foot per MINUTE.

Can you even IMAGINE how much energy would be A) required for that much movement and B) how hot the land would get with that much movement and C) what would the continents look like in even 1000 years of such movement.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Apr 14

I would be personally hesitant to hire a known YEC scientist for fear this bias would interfere with ANY discipline they work on. I wouldn't trust them as far a ...[text shortened]... 3 days. 10 meters a month.

The problem with you old earth evolutionists is that you ASSUME uniformitarianism.

Uniformitarianism is the assumption that the same natural laws and processes that operate in the universe now have always operated in the universe in the past and apply everywhere in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformitarianism

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Apr 14
1 edit

The problem with you old earth evolutionists is that you ASSUME uniformitarianism.

[b]Uniformitarianism is the assumption that the same natural laws and processes that operate in the universe now have always operated in the universe in the past and apply everywhere in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformitarianism[/b]
You don't read very well. We just SAID the only way YEC'ers can explain it is if events went at different rates back then. You didn't get that part? Where I said things would have to have been sped up by a thousand times and Fab corrected me and said it would have to have been more than 100,000 times faster and I used the example of 50,000 times faster showing the North American continent and Asia would have crunched into each other? We actually made the ASSUMPTION that time would have had to have been different back then but it would have left HUGE holes in physics that would have left OBVIOUS clues today. Like nobody being alive because of the heat generated.....

I can only assume that besides being blind to what is going on in the universe, you also cannot read.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Apr 14

You don't read very well. We just SAID the only way YEC'ers can explain it is if events went at different rates back then. You didn't get that part? Where I said things would have to have been sped up by a thousand times and Fab corrected me and said it would have to have been more than 100,000 times faster and I used the example of 50,000 times faster show ...[text shortened]... only assume that besides being blind to what is going on in the universe, you also cannot read.
YEC scientists explain geological features by Catastrophism. Catastrophism is the theory that the Earth has been affected in the past by sudden, short-lived, violent events, possibly worldwide in scope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophism

The Mount St. Helens Volcano Eruption caused a little grand canyon in 1980

Undersea earthquakes or volcanic eruptions have caused many Tsunami catastrophes in the past, like this most recent one in 2011 at Japan.

Actual video of underwater volcanic eruption.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Apr 14

YEC scientists explain geological features by Catastrophism. Catastrophism is the theory that the Earth has been affected in the past by sudden, short-lived, violent events, possibly worldwide in scope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophism

The Mount St. Helens Volcano Eruption caused a little grand canyon in 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watc ...[text shortened]... 0

Actual video of underwater volcanic eruption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmMlspNoZMs
You still don't understand the implications of what the world would be like if the continents moved several meters an hour or even a day.

The world we know would not exist. Period.

You can't visualize what all that means.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Apr 14

You still don't understand the implications of what the world would be like if the continents moved several meters an hour or even a day.

The world we know would not exist. Period.

You can't visualize what all that means.
Maybe the world we know today did not exist then. Did you ever think of that?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Apr 14

Maybe the world we know today did not exist then. Did you ever think of that?
Wow, such a fund of originality.