1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jan '20 23:32
    @Metal-Brain
    He just told you what TD IS. And you know good and well it is due to a mass stuck in a spacetime which bends that spacetime. SPACE AND TIME. That fact is proven by the fact light always follows the curvature of space, it has no choice. So when a beam of light goes near the surface of the sun, because of the mass and radius at the surface, that light bends at the angle predicted by Einstein, 1.75 seconds of arc and two such beams one on one side of the sun and the other on the opposite side going in the same direction will intersect some 80 odd billion kilometers away from the sun.
    That is what gravity does, that is what the MASS concentrated by the sun does and TD follows the same way. Close to the sun time slows down compared to a clock say near Pluto. Without that mass spacetime would be flat, the same rate of clocks here and a trillion kilometers away.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 03:42
    @metal-brain said
    Are you stupid? He did nothing of the sort. This is what he said:

"Gravitational time dilation is the result of observers whose clocks are running at different rates making observations at different points in a gravitational field."

He said time dilation is the result of the difference in proper time. That difference in proper time is time dilation. He did NOT expla ...[text shortened]... d you are being gullible. He gave me a BS non answer to my question and he knows it. Now you do too.
    Since gravity refers to the entire theory yes, gravity does cause time dilation. Matter creates local curvature, the curvature means that the shortest distances between two points are not straight lines so things fall. The curvature also causes clocks to run at different rates. This means that observers at different points in the gravitational field measure different durations between the same pair of events and that is what is meant by time dilation.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 16:03
    @deepthought said
    Since gravity refers to the entire theory yes, gravity does cause time dilation. Matter creates local curvature, the curvature means that the shortest distances between two points are not straight lines so things fall. The curvature also causes clocks to run at different rates. This means that observers at different points in the gravitational field measure different durations between the same pair of events and that is what is meant by time dilation.
    "Matter creates local curvature"

No, Matter creates time dilation which is the curvature. Space cannot curve without time dilation. Space and time are inexorably linked. The bending of space-time is just another way of saying time dilation in a four dimensional way.

Time dilation is the bending of space-time. They are the same thing. You are attempting to apply a false causation.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 17:183 edits
    @metal-brain said

No, Matter creates time dilation which is the curvature.
    HE is a physics expert, not you. HE is the one that studied advanced physics at university, not you. So we will believe his physics assertion over what science says about it over yours. + What I learned at university ALSO indicates the science says "Matter creates local curvature" (words of that effect).
    Don't know who you are trying to convince here. But nobody here is convinced by you.
  5. Joined
    15 Jan '20
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 07:38
    What happens to an electron when it reaches the band of semiconductor?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 09:17
    @GavinJack
    Hi and welcome to RHP. Here is one graphic explanation:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Solids/dsem.html
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 19:55
    @humy said
    HE is a physics expert, not you. HE is the one that studied advanced physics at university, not you. So we will believe his physics assertion over what science says about it over yours. + What I learned at university ALSO indicates the science says "Matter creates local curvature" (words of that effect).
    Don't know who you are trying to convince here. But nobody here is convinced by you.
    and I am Jesus Christ.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 Jan '20 20:371 edit
    @metal-brain said
    I am Jesus Christ.
    Jesus Christ wasn't a physics expert so being him won't help you here.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 00:33
    @metal-brain said

No, Matter creates time dilation which is the curvature. Space cannot curve without time dilation. Space and time are inexorably linked. The bending of space-time is just another way of saying time dilation in a four dimensional way.

Time dilation is the bending of space-time. They are the same thing. You are attempting to apply a false causation.
    The Einstein Field equations are: R = kT. Where R is something called the Ricci Curvature and is a tensor quantity with 10 independent components. k is a constant (see the Wikipedia page to see what it is) and T is the Energy Momentum Density tensor, it also has 10 independent components. It is always possible to find a coordinate system where these tensors are diagonal at a point, but, in general it is not possible to do that everywhere. In highly symmetric cases, like a rotating, charged black hole it is possible to produce an exact solution. In the Schwartzschild case (a non-rotating uncharged Black Hole) what you are saying is just about tenable. But in highly unsymmetric cases it is not. The matter distribution means that all ten independent components are in play and varying with both time and space and what you're saying here just doesn't hold.

What is more your time dilation claim simply won't work even for the case of a rotating black hole. Gyroscopes will start to precess if they are near it. What's more it is possible to construct a space-time where the curvature is different at two separate points but with the clocks at those two points running at the same rate. Sorry, while I'm resisting your time dilation point because of the way I think time dilation is defined and it's close, this statement - that curvature is the same as time dilation is just plain wrong.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 00:35
    @humy said
    Jesus Christ wasn't a physics expert so being him won't help you here.
    A son of god has limited knowledge? How do you know what a god knows?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 00:37
    @deepthought said
    The Einstein Field equations are: R = kT. Where R is something called the Ricci Curvature and is a tensor quantity with 10 independent components. k is a constant (see the Wikipedia page to see what it is) and T is the Energy Momentum Density tensor, it also has 10 independent components. It is always possible to find a coordinate system where these tensors are diagona ...[text shortened]... ed and it's close, this statement - that curvature is the same as time dilation is just plain wrong.
    "Gyroscopes will start to precess if they are near it."

I have not heard that claim before. What is your source of information?
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Jan '20 09:28
    @metal-brain said
    "Gyroscopes will start to precess if they are near it."

I have not heard that claim before. What is your source of information?
    It's called Lense-Thirring precession. The Wikipedia page introduction's o.k., but the editors go into a mathematical discussion pretty quickly, I don't know of a non-mathematical text that discusses it. See the pages on Frame dragging and ergosphere for more information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lense-Thirring_precession
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    17 Jan '20 05:09
    the only reason for advancement in science is so we can join our cosmic cousins in outer space ! There are already aliens watching us and helping us advance.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '20 17:02
    @ogb
    Ah, aliens like Trump?
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Jan '20 15:53
    @sonhouse

gravity is a wave, so there are no Gravitons..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree