1. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    20 May '13 14:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It was received by special revelation, numbnuts. Another failing grade for you.

The Instructor
    More special stuff for special people.
  2. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    20 May '13 16:221 edit
    Okay, I did. Here is the quote:

[b]"A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby universe and major telescopes across Earth and space are investigating."

So they say "the nearby universe" which still means that it is not this universe, or else they should have said "this" universe, numbnuts.

The Instructor[/b]
    ...they also didn't say 'another' universe, dummy.

If RJ cannot understand simple english, what chance does he have to understand evolution or any other scientific fact?

His brain is only capable of understanding simple mythology. He cannot think on his own, so he let's people thousands of years ago do his thinking for him...and he also gets help to make his chess moves. That is another fact he will never admit to.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 May '13 21:162 edits
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    ...they also didn't say 'another' universe, dummy.

If RJ cannot understand simple english, what chance does he have to understand evolution or any other scientific fact?

His brain is only capable of understanding simple mythology. He cannot think on his own, so he let's people thousands of years ago do his thinking for him...and he also gets help to make his chess moves. That is another fact he will never admit to.
    Okay, smart aleck, explain how a "nearby" universe can be the same as this universe we live in. How can it be "nearby" and still be the same universe? If they meant it was near to us, then they should have said that or at least it was in a nearby portion of our universe. It is not I that does not know the English language, it is others.

The Instructor
  4. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    21 May '13 04:11
    Okay, smart aleck, explain how a "nearby" universe can be the same as this universe we live in. How can it be "nearby" and still be the same universe? If they meant it was near to us, then they should have said that or at least it was in a nearby portion of our universe.

The Instructor
    I rest my case.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    21 May '13 04:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I live in the southern range of the Pocono's, where do you live now? If the multiverse idea is true, the connection does not have to be direct, it could be just like a bunch of bubbles "next" to each other, each bubble being an entire universe more or less like ours. The connection then could be in the word "Next", in that they may reside in different dimen ...[text shortened]... to us where they would be right in front of our noses so to speak, but hidden nonetheless.
    This is where many Christians believe that the angelic beings and maybe even God reside is a dimension just outside of our sight but right before our noses.

Manny
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    21 May '13 04:302 edits
    Okay, smart aleck, explain how a "nearby" universe can be the same as this universe we live in. How can it be "nearby" and still be the same universe? If they meant it was near to us, then they should have said that or at least it was in a nearby portion of our universe. It is not I that does not know the English language, it is others.

The Instructor
    RJ you really do an injustice to Christians because you really don't try to understand or be educated on any subject other than to post youtube videos and all. Half the stuff on youtube is suspect at best. The ideas of multiple dimensions and even a muti-verses does not negate the creator or possibility of one. String Theory and Quantum theory seem to be pointing in the direction of at least 10 dimensions being possible. I used to be afraid of these things but they appear at least in theory to be what our reality is really made of. Where is heaven? Where did God take Elijah? where did God take Enoch? If Heaven is not in this universe or reality or realm then where is it? Duhhh possibly another dimension. The Church of the 1400's thought the world was flat and the sun revolved around the earth and if you ventured to say otherwise you could lose your life for being a heretic.

Manny
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 03:33
    So if someone lives in a nearby town, it means he lives in the same town I do? I did not know that.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 23:40
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    So if someone lives in a nearby town, it means he lives in the same town I do? I did not know that.
    There is a difference between saying The nearby universe and A nearby universe. Besides, there are now mathematical underpinnings for more solid speculation about 'nearby' universes, meaning other universes.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 02:221 edit
    There is a difference between saying The nearby universe and A nearby universe. Besides, there are now mathematical underpinnings for more solid speculation about 'nearby' universes, meaning other universes.
    Whoever said "nearby universe" obviously meant to say galaxy, or was referring to some other part of 'this' universe. But if he did mean to say a nearby universe, then he obviously doesn't know the difference. Instead of defending a mistake by saying it's true, why not just acknowledge it was mistake? Most people would understand what he meant, even if he didn't say it correctly. Good grief, people make mistakes all the time. Have you never ever ever ever used the wrong word... not ever?

Besides, if there was a nearby universe (or nearby universes) where does it show in any multiverse theory that such a universe would be visible to those of us living in this universe?

"...placing the explosion about 5 billion light years away -- considered nearby in cosmological terms."
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 04:06
    There is a difference between saying The nearby universe and A nearby universe.
    The difference being one specifies a particular universe and other doesn't. Substitute the word "town" for "universe" and the meaning becomes clear. Whether it's "a" nearby one or "the" nearby one, it clearly does not mean "this" one. It's also clear the only reason such highly enlightened muttonheads would argue with someone who has already pointed this out is to prove he is as stupid as you would like to believe.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 04:561 edit
    The difference being one specifies a particular universe and other doesn't. Substitute the word "town" for "universe" and the meaning becomes clear. Whether it's "a" nearby one or "the" nearby one, it clearly does not mean "this" one. It's also clear the only reason such highly enlightened muttonheads would argue with someone who has already pointed this out is to prove he is as stupid as you would like to believe.
    It doesn't work quite the same with 'town'. You have to rephrase it to 'he lives nearby in the town' or 'he lives nearby in a town' and the difference becomes clear. The former clearly refers to the same town.
    The original phrase 'the nearby universe' is perfectly correct English and refers to this universe and not some other universe.

If you Google 'the nearby universe' you will find that it is not uncommon phrasing.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 05:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It doesn't work quite the same with 'town'. You have to rephrase it to 'he lives nearby in the town' or 'he lives nearby in a town' and the difference becomes clear. The former clearly refers to the same town.
    The original phrase 'the nearby universe' is perfectly correct English and refers to this universe and not some other universe.

If you Google 'the nearby universe' you will find that it is not uncommon phrasing.
    But is it correct? I don't think so.

The Instructor
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 05:161 edit
    But is it correct? I don't think so.

The Instructor
    Its perfectly correct in the English I grew up with. It may be different in your part of the US, the dialect over there is quite different. But I suspect it is simply a phrasing you are not familiar with - which doesn't make it incorrect.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 05:352 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead

All right, I'll try it and see if it makes any difference:

"A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby town..."

Whew, that was close! Glad it didn't happen in MY town! LOL

I'm not confused by semantics or by a "proper" way of saying things. I understand the difference in meaning between a nearby universe, the nearby universe, and nearby in this universe... it happened near to us, where we live in this universe. Whether or not there are other universes is irrelevant.

By the way, I substitued the word 'town' for 'universe' the way it appeared in the original quote... "A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby universe..."

I can assume it means this universe, because we haven't officially recognised the existence of any others. Well, maybe sonhouse has, but that's an entirely different can of beans. I can make no such assumption about a town, because there are many officially recognised towns.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 05:551 edit
    All right, I'll try it and see if it makes any difference:

"A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby town..."

Whew, that was close! Glad it didn't happen in MY town! LOL
    Thats not what I said.
    Try it like this:
    "A tremendous explosion has occurred nearby in the town."

By the way, I substitued the word 'town' for 'universe' the way it appeared in the original quote... "A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby universe..."
    Which is incorrect. The difference is that in this context, 'town' is seen as an object, whereas 'universe' is seen as a medium.
    Try:
    "A tremendous explosion has occurred in the nearby atmosphere..."
    Does this mean it occurred on Mars?

Now try:
    "A diver was at a reef and a shark swam past in the nearby water."
    Was the shark in a different sea?

How about
    "A diver was at a reef and a shark swam past in the nearby sea."
    Now you might start to see where the confusion is, 'sea' can be either an object or a medium depending on context. Similarly the universe may be an object or a medium depending on context.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree