1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 03:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Oh, you're right about the Right. The correct term is Claim Rights, not Welfare Rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_right

No, wait, that's not what I mean. That article suggests that the Right to Life is a Claim Right, because it obligates others to not kill you.

Hmmm.

Here we go I think. THIS is what I was talking about...I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_positive_rights
    OK. Instead of Liberty and Welfare Rights, I should have said Negative and Positive Rights.

A Person (e.g. our hypothetical Lion) may not kill another Person (our Gazelles) for food, because the Gazelles have a negative right to life against other Persons. That means the other Persons may NOT morally take away the Gazelles' life.

However, the Lion does not have a positive right to life against the Gazelle, i.e. the Gazelle is not obligated to keep the Lion alive. The Lion has a negative right to life against the Gazelle; the Gazelle may not take the Lion's life.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 09:26
    How many animals can perform cognitive functions that these people cannot?

I don't know. Do you?

It seems some suspect dolphins and great apes are persons because they are as smart or smarter than mentally retarded humans. That's kinda the point.
    You're choosing intelligence as a factor, yet you didn't answer why that's your choice.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 10:28
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You're choosing intelligence as a factor, yet you didn't answer why that's your choice.
    It's awkward when ethics and science are placed next to each other at dinner.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 11:12
    Because People, by definition, are sentient.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 11:141 edit
    Because People, by definition, are sentient.
    Is sentience even a binary variable? How does a new-born compare to a grown pig in terms of sentience?

Edit - Is all that capitalization needed? It's silly.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:01
    Are you implying that it's ok to ignore the rights of the weak?
    Listen, all im saying is that these so called "rights" you speak of, had no natural values before the society. The only thing we have is the ILLUSION of rights, let them create there own illusion, I believe it is there right.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:091 edit
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Listen, all im saying is that these so called "rights" you speak of, had no natural values before the society. The only thing we have is the ILLUSION of rights, let them create there own illusion, I believe it is there right.
    You have legal rights, which are those conferred to you by law. Natural rights supporters tend to go from ought to is, in an attempt to avoid defending their moral absolutism explicitly.

Of course, these supposed natural rights are just the expression of preferences, like all moral statements (yes, I'm a non-cognitivist).
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:50
    You have legal rights, which are those conferred to you by law. Natural rights supporters tend to go from ought to is, in an attempt to avoid defending their moral absolutism explicitly.

Of course, these supposed natural rights are just the expression of preferences, like all moral statements (yes, I'm a non-cognitivist).
    Im not entirely sure if you agree, but before your side note I was not aware of this philosiphy (non-cognitivism). So I looked at its tenets on Wiki, and I feel that this philoshipy coinsides with my own. Thanks for putting a name to a face!
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 19:32
    Is sentience even a binary variable? How does a new-born compare to a grown pig in terms of sentience?

Edit - Is all that capitalization needed? It's silly.
    I capitalize in order to emphasize the fact that I am using the philosophical concept of people as it relates to inalienable rights as opposed to the casual use. I'll stop if you want.

How to determine whether something is a person is definitely one of the weak points in Inalienable Rights Theory. I won't argue with that. I didn't make this stuff up.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 19:321 edit
    I don't think you understand what an inalienable right is. They are moral judgements. If a right is violated, it still exists; it's just been violated.

Now, you may not recognize the existence of such rights, but to someone who does, the rights exist independently of your belief in them.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 20:131 edit
    I don't think you understand what an inalienable right is. They are moral judgements. If a right is violated, it still exists; it's just been violated.

Now, you may not recognize the existence of such rights, but to someone who does, the rights exist independently of your belief in them.
    But what is moral is subjective, and if something is not universally true it is not inalienable. This Dolphin rights speel is analogous to an alien race coming and deciding to give us their "rights" without our consent.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 20:193 edits
    But what is moral is subjective, and if somthing is not universally true it is not inalienable.
    I think there's an implication here I should make explicit.

In the opinion of those people who agree with inalienable rights theory, it cannot be made morally acceptable to violate those rights with respect to any person.

In other words, my country and I make the subjective claim that in our opinion it is always immoral to violate inalienable rights; thus they are inalienable - in our opinion.

You can NEVER convince us that it's ok to violate these rights, or that they do not exist, as long as we accept the inalienable rights model of morality - which, very, very significantly, is at the base of the US legal system.

Similarly, you can never convince a person who accepts the divinity and morality of the Ten Commandments that it can be moral to have other gods before the Abrahamic one, or that it can be moral to murder. To such people, the Ten Commandments are Inalienable.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 22:23
    Im not entirely sure if you agree, but before your side note I was not aware of this philosiphy (non-cognitivism). So I looked at its tenets on Wiki, and I feel that this philoshipy coinsides with my own. Thanks for putting a name to a face!
    I also learned about it here. 🙂
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 08:06
    I also learned about it here. 🙂
    Being a non-cognitivist is wrong.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 03:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Being a non-cognitivist is wrong.
    Say that fast three times, I dare you🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree