speed of light

speed of light

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 May 08

Originally posted by GregM
Nothing has been observed to travel "at the speed of light" and no one believes this is possible; however if you are talking about speeds close to that of light (say .999999c) then this is done every day in particle accelerators and the process is very well understood. We definitely know exactly how fast these particles are going or we would not be able to cau ...[text shortened]... it too since GR has been confirmed as accurate for comparable length, mass, and time scales.
"...and no one believes this is possible"
Have you been reading the posts here?
Kelly

R

Moves
01 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
According to current scientific theory, nothing can travel at the speed of light save light (and also gravitons and gluons, if I remember correctly).

Movement close to the speed of light is possible, however. If you will go and re-read the thread you will find :

Originally posted by many writers in this thread that I'm to lazy to credit :-P

I read where if one was to travel close to the speed of light you would age slower then on earth...

Well at 0.9C , the time dilation ratio is about 2.2 to one. In other words, you on the spacecraft THINK you are going 2.2 times the speed of light, and in fact you age 1 year in your craft for every 2.2 going by on earth...

When you look at #'s close to C , for this exercise we will call C 186,282 MPS. This business of getting close to C to go interstellar is not what it's cracked up to be...

It would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object with mass to light speed. (Ergo, impossible - RV)

That represents a time dilation of almost 500,000 to 1. That would be tricky to get to the velocity so close to C in such a short distance of 4 LY. If you had the thrust available, you might do it for a distance of a few thousand LY. That must be within one millimeter per second of the speed of light!

End of quotes

Anything else?

G

Moves
01 May 08

Kelly
I've read through the thread again; can you quote a post where someone claims light-speed travel is possible?

What exactly is the statement that you take issue with? "Humans experience time dilation when they move"?

R

Moves
01 May 08
1 edit

I've read through the thread again; can you quote a post where someone claims light-speed travel is possible?

What exactly is the statement that you take issue with? "Humans experience time dilation when they move"?
Already did your legwork - look at the post above .
😉

t

Australia

Moves
02 May 08

Originally posted by Retrovirus
Time travel? Where did that came from?
Sorry should have been clearer, check the response which followed from "Sonhouse"

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 May 08
2 edits

Yes
Kelly
So you are saying, just to get the record straight, you believe if you can travel close to the speed of light, you will, inside the space/time frame of the spacecraft, say at 0.9C, will be effectively traveling on a one way trip into the future, and that at about 2.2:1 (@0.9C). So you go into space and 8.8 years goes by on earth while you go to Alpha Centauri, my favorite destination for nearby stars, but when you get back to earth, only 4 years have gone by for you, say you leave in the year 2100, go to AC and come back travelling at 0.9C, on earth it's close to 2109 but for you, your shipboard calander says its 2104 and it can be medically proven you are 4 odd years younger than your identical twin who stayed behind on earth.
Say you were both 40 when you left, when you get back, your twin is now 48.8 but biologically and timewise for you, you are only 44.
Do you believe that is what would happen if you went 90% if the speed of light? BTW, that takes only double the thrust needed if GR wasn't reality. Well, 2.3 times the thrust. Do you think this is a true statement?
Do you believe that statement?

R

Moves
02 May 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Traveling close to C would give a sort of time travel, but for the travelers, it is just one way, travel into their personal future. They can't go back in time, just forward faster than people who stick around at normal velocities like on earth which is going about 200 miles per second, not enough to give much GR time dilation.
I wouldn't call that time travel, but, whatever.

F

Moves
02 May 08

I wouldn't call that time travel, but, whatever.
Neither do I. If I would I would be a time traveller all the time. I go farward in time with the speed of 60 seconds/minute.

But if you can go farward and backward in time, à la H. G. Wells, then we are talking time travels.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 May 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Neither do I. If I would I would be a time traveller all the time. I go farward in time with the speed of 60 seconds/minute.

But if you can go farward and backward in time, à la H. G. Wells, then we are talking time travels.
Which is why I called it 'sort of' time travel. Of course you can't go back in time but you would be in fact going into the future faster than our regular 60 beats per minute, at 0.9C, you would be going into the future at about 138 beats per minute. That is still manipulation of time but not Wellsian time travel for sure.

halifax

Moves
03 May 08

Albert Einstein says so in his theory of relativity, doubters should read it or take some Physics classes!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 May 08

Originally posted by rlbatez
Albert Einstein says so in his theory of relativity, doubters should read it or take some Physics classes!
Its not just theory, it HAS to be encorporated into many activities that humans pursue right now, even though we probably won't even get close to C for hundreds of years. Like GPS, if it didn't encorporate GR and time dilation, it would as I have said before be about as accurate as a 15th century portuguese shipping map. Any of hundreds of particle accellerators also have to take into account dilation AND mass increase in order to be able to accurately collide beams going within a haresbreath of C. It has to be taken in to account when figuring out why cosmic ray debris actually reaches the earth when the ray explodes in the upper atmosphere, the byproducts at low speeds decay so fast as to not last enough to make it a mile before decaying but they live longer because of the velocity and therefore actually make to the ground. Anyone think of other examples of GR in action in the here and now?

M

Moves
04 May 08

GR is required to explain the rate of precession of Mercury’s orbit around the Sun accurately.

Gravitational lensing is predicted in GR. This phenomenon is a result of the warping of space-time by massive objects, such as clusters of galaxies or black holes. A mass between an observer and an object being viewed can bend the path of the light form the object and distort the image the observer sees.

(This has been observed experimentally many time and is the cause of Einstein rings)

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 May 08

According to current scientific theory, nothing can travel at the speed of light save light (and also gravitons and gluons, if I remember correctly).

Movement close to the speed of light is possible, however. If you will go and re-read the thread you will find :

Originally posted by many writers in this thread that I'm to lazy to credit :-P [/i ...[text shortened]... in one millimeter per second of the speed of light!

[i]End of quotes

Anything else?
"Nothing in theory would suggest that time travel for humans is impossible. "

Nothing in the theory, I agreed with those words. Reality, another
subject.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 May 08

I started off only saying, "in theory" and from there if you do not see
the disagreement I don't think I can add anything to this discussion to
enlighten you.
Kelly

R

Moves
05 May 08

"Nothing in theory would suggest that time travel for humans is impossible. "

Nothing in the theory, I agreed with those words. Reality, another
subject.
Kelly
Actually, Theory = "What we expect the perceived reality to be until proven otherwise" in this case.