1. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 02:36
    Please someone settle this argument for me, is male sperm classed as a living organism?
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 06:03
    the human being is the organism. it's a living cell (the smallest in the human body) . . .the female egg (ovary) is the largest!
  3. Palmerston North
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 07:501 edit
    I would think sperm is a cell and not an organism. It only has half the genetic material (23 in humans). I don't think even a zygote is an organism before replication into in an embryo.

Think about it, is a red blood cell a living organism? No. It doesn't even have a nuclues so it cannot reproduce!

I don't really know, think about MRS. GREN.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 01:12
    Originally posted by leestatic
    Please someone settle this argument for me, is male sperm classed as a living organism?
    it doesn't replicate into an identucal life form, therefore it's not an organism.
    It's part of the reproductive system of an organism.

Thanks for the question. It helps to clarify what an organism is.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 03:26
    I suppose it is confusing. When I look at the computer animations of them, they seem like cute little tadpoles.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 06:21
    Let's say for a while, that a sperm is an organism of its own. Then these questions arise:
    Are there male sperms and female sperms?
    How do they reproduce? Sexually or by dividing into two new sperms the way amoebas do?
    As an organism inside the human body, are the sperms parasites or are they just symbiotic? Why do they only thrive in the human male body, why not in the female? Or perhaps they do like it in the female body as they escape there whenever they can?
    Do they survive when the human body dies, and trying to find a new host?

🙂
  7. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 23:51
    I only know that every one is sacred.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 07:04
    Originally posted by Redmike
    None are sacred...you can make a new one in less than a minute. 😛
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 09:44
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I'd say at least a few thousand per minute.
    Rate of canonization of saints is steadily approaching this number.
  10. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 14:55
    Originally posted by serigado
    it doesn't replicate into an identucal life form, therefore it's not an organism.
    It's part of the reproductive system of an organism.

Thanks for the question. It helps to clarify what an organism is.
    What about mules?
  11. Standard memberjockmcgee
    Ganbei!
    Not in lecture
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 15:59
    And once this has answered, can someone settle this argument for me, is the female sperm classed as a living organism?

😛
  12. Earth
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 21:41
    The strict definition of organism is complex:-
    1. a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes.
    2. a form of life considered as an entity; an animal, plant, fungus, protistan, or moneran.
    3. any organized body or system conceived of as analogous to a living being: the governmental organism.
    4. any complex thing or system having properties and functions determined not only by the properties and relations of its individual parts, but by the character of the whole that they compose and by the relations of the parts to the whole.

Recognising that any fool can look the word up in a dictionary, the laymans summary is that whilst an organism CAN be a single cell (i.e. a moneran, or bacterium as we commonly know it), it can never be a gamete (a sex cell, of which a sperm is one variety). This is because a gamete only has half of the genetic material of the fully functioning cell it becomes on fertilisation.

So no, sperm is not an organism. I hope you won the argument 🙂
  13. Earth
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 21:43
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    But each is utterly distinct and unique, its particular combination of genes is never represented again. No two sperm would produce the same organism, even if the eggs were all identical.

Which they aren't of course 🙂
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 04:07
    Originally posted by Redmike
    i told you Onan !!!
  15. the highway to hell
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 12:35
    whatever the definition of organism, is it "alive" ?
    it doesnt need to reproduce.
    would it make a good pet? 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree