1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 May '18 12:22
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    ... is what is killing science, converting it to religion. ...
    Science is in danger? I'm calling bull.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '18 16:58
    Let’s stay focused on this thread’s content.
    You demonstrate a predictable antagonism toward any/everything you didn’t stumble upon yourself, and this topic is no exception.
    Ancient man was no slouch, but you are intent to discount the many advances we continually uncover--- almost as though you think they just got lucky.
    Or something.
    They knew and ...[text shortened]... esn’t guarantee the warmth of popular opinion.

That is not science in any way, shape or form.
    I never said the ancients didn't have some advanced technology but the bullshyte touted by those thinking pyramids were energy devices are just that: TOTAL bullshyte.

The Antikythera mechanism shows that and the Babylon Battery seems to show they had a form of electricity but it appears so far at least that it was knowledge of priests who only used it to electroplate gold onto statues and knowing about electroplating is surprising in itself but it looks like the knowledge was handed down from priest to priest and my conjecture is one priest died before passing on the knowledge and that was the end of that.
    Had they known the actual power of what they had the world would be a different place now but the only evidence now is the possible battery they discovered with no other place on Earth so far found to have that kind of device.

There was evidence in ancient Greece of the possible knowledge of some form of electricity, probably static electricity based where a couple of brass handles would be touched by someone and the electric charge going through the brass would indicate how long someone could hold on to those charges without pulling away.

But that too didn't progress any further than a magician's trick since there was no real science ATT, when something like that was discovered, that was the end all and no further work proceeded.

The pyramid energy idea is conjecture, nothing else, just someone's idea of a way to make money in yet another aliens are amongst us kind of thing. People WANT to fall for that crap so will spend bucks on any book that suggests the ancients knew way more than we ever have and so forth.

We already knew the Romans had great cement, the silk road highway made of concrete shows that, 2000 years later it is still viable where it hasn't been covered by the sands of time.

We also know the ancient Egyptians could cut rocks to order and the cutting tools have actually been found, wire cutter tools with multiple wires so multiple cuts could be made to mass produce wall coverings and so forth.

It used sand as abrasive and used a regular sawing motion but the wires did not cut it just used friction with the sand to do the actual cutting.

And circular boreholes in rocks showed they had equipment to cut round holes in rocks.

That said, it is a LONG way from fancy cutting tools and static electricity and batteries to project some kind of superscientific energy technology involving pyramids.

There would be SOME kind of evidence left of the equipment and there has NEVER been found anything remotely connected to energy devices in the pyramids but for some reason the pyramid shape has always been connected with some kind of spiritual power and of course those moderns writing books about it are just making money off bullshyte.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 May '18 18:24
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I never said the ancients didn't have some advanced technology but the bullshyte touted by those thinking pyramids were energy devices are just that: TOTAL bullshyte.

The Antikythera mechanism shows that and the Babylon Battery seems to show they had a form of electricity but it appears so far at least that it was knowledge of priests who only used it t ...[text shortened]... al power and of course those moderns writing books about it are just making money off bullshyte.
    1. Hardly anyone reads
    2. The people to whom wild conjecture and fantastic fiction appeals def do not read
    3. Books make very little money
    4. What evidence do you think would be left behind... besides the pyramids themselves?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 May '18 18:26
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Keep calling: it's on it's way.
    Dogma kills vision.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '18 20:18
    Originally posted by @apathist
    There's something ironic about a flat-Earther claiming that science is being killed... by scientists.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 May '18 10:16
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    There's something ironic about a flat-Earther claiming that science is being killed... by scientists.
    Here is some irony for ya.
    While there are some who will latch onto an idea simply for the shock value of said idea, most of the people who are challenging the popular understanding of the shape of the earth are doing so strictly on the scientific merits, i.e., what can be observed, measured, falsified, tested and repeated.
    They want to know (in the sense that something can be known) what the facts of the matter truly are, not simply what they are being told.
    The impetus behind science in the first place is to know, unsatisfied with ignorance or topics deemed out-of-bounds.
    Is the shape of the earth knowable?
    According to some, that answer is yes.
    One of the some: NASA.
    What does NASA point to as 'proof' of the shape of the earth?
    Altered images, for one.
    Are these images measurable, testable, falsifiable?
    In all three categories: yes.
    And, in all three categories, their images are fake.
    As in, all of their images are fake.

So there's a claim: all of NASA's images are fake.
    That claim is measurable (all), testable (analyze the images' components) and falsifiable (present images which are not altered), and yet instead of science-ing the issue, small minds choose to call names.
    That's science?

Science can (has, does and will) suffer at the hands of its practitioners.
    And you try to act surprised at this revelation?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '18 10:21
    Here is some irony for ya.
    While there are some who will latch onto an idea simply for the shock value of said idea, most of the people who are challenging the popular understanding of the shape of the earth are doing so strictly on the scientific merits, i.e., what can be observed, measured, falsified, tested and repeated.
    They want to know (in ...[text shortened]... ill) suffer at the hands of its practitioners.
    And you try to act surprised at this revelation?
    We've known the Earth is round long before (thousands of years, in fact) NASA or photographic images existed. We didn't discover that by going into space.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 May '18 11:481 edit
    We've known the Earth is round long before (thousands of years, in fact) NASA or photographic images existed. We didn't discover that by going into space.
    You cannot "know" anything definitively relative to the shape of the earth unless you are able to be outside of the earth and observing it.

And that still doesn't address why self-professed scientists of NASA lie.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '18 12:17
    You cannot "know" anything definitively relative to the shape of the earth unless you are able to be outside of the earth and observing it.

You can.

They didn't.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 May '18 13:37
    [b]You cannot "know" anything definitively relative to the shape of the earth unless you are able to be outside of the earth and observing it.

You can.

They didn't.[/b]
    Sleep well, little prince.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '18 14:23
    Sleep well, little prince.
    Here's some more info, in case you're still not convinced that a round Earth is more plausible than a conspiracy lasting thousands of years involving millions of people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 May '18 15:45
    Here's some more info, in case you're still not convinced that a round Earth is more plausible than a conspiracy lasting thousands of years involving millions of people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
    A brief and cursory analysis of the topic will help cure your ignorance.
    A spherical Earth is a relative newcomer to the scene, despite the insistence otherwise.
    Fables and tall stories don't pass scientific rigor.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '18 17:012 edits
    A spherical Earth is a relative newcomer to the scene, despite the insistence otherwise.
    Oh the irony. Thank you Suzianne for that phrase.

So all those HS experiments reproducing the work of the ancient where they put a stick in the ground and another one or two a few hundred km away and see the shadow angles at the same time noting there is a difference in the length of the shadows, I guess all those kids are in on the vast international conspiracy also.

But of course your answer is the sun is only a few thousand miles up and 50 miles in diameter and rotates around the flat Earth like a tether ball but you cannot come up with any kind of physics supporting that claim.

Even ignoring obvious problems BESIDES the tether ball on a stick problem, how do you explain how that can happen?

Oh, I forgot, you don't have to explain anything, we are just to take your word, 'trust me', I know the answers', funny that is just like what the religious set says too, so that goes along with your flatasss religion.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '18 17:49
    Well, son, considering I have a PhD in theoretical physics, and your credentials include a high school diploma from a rural American town paired with hours of intense browsing, I would submit that my analysis of the topic is quite a bit less brief and cursory as your own. It is straightforward to show that the Earth is approximately spherical in shape, which is why people did it thousands of years ago. No one educated has denied it ever since.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '18 19:062 edits
    Well, son, considering I have a PhD in theoretical physics, and your credentials include a high school diploma from a rural American town paired with hours of intense browsing, I would submit that my analysis of the topic is quite a bit less brief and cursory as your own. It is straightforward to show that the Earth is approximately spherical in shape, which is why people did it thousands of years ago. No one educated has denied it ever since.
    Sounds like Freak is also an Arrogant Kaze. Did you read my post just above yours? That is what he really thinks, the sun is a few thou away and say 50 km wide and running around the flat Earth like a tether ball on a stick with zero way of explaining what keeps it in that kind of orbit. That is only ONE of the many fringe things he believes.

BTW, did you see my post about the superimposed quantum drum, vibrating and still at the same time? That moggles the bind🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree