1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 May '20 21:40
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Come back and say that again come January, we will see who is inferior intellectually.
    So you agree that this summer it looks like covid is going away.

Unlike Spanish Flu, this thing is only much of a threat to the elderly. This winter it will no longer be novel.

I really doubt we will see the kinds of deaths we see in New York, perhaps it will be bad in California. California nursing homes have not been ravaged yet.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Jun '20 16:10
    @eladar said
    http://sunlightinstitute.org/sanitizing-with-sunlight-the-best-disinfectant-know/

In reality, it has long been known that sunlight is a powerful disinfectant and bactericide. As early as 1877, researchers discovered that sugar water left in the shade became cloudy, indicative of bacterial growth, but if exposed to sunlight, it remained clear.[3]  In 1890, the German microbi ...[text shortened]... stabilization ponds.[5] [6] [7]

More evidence that the key to stopping this virus is sunlight.
    So we have had summer solistice, so the amount of sunlight we get on the northern hemisphere. How is the virus (And you implied SARS_Cov-2) faring?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '20 16:35
    @ponderable said
    So we have had summer solistice, so the amount of sunlight we get on the northern hemisphere. How is the virus (And you implied SARS_Cov-2) faring?
    Are people staying outside or are they in air conditioning?

Government policy telling people to stat inside is making matters worse.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    26 Jun '20 21:01
    @eladar said
    http://sunlightinstitute.org/sanitizing-with-sunlight-the-best-disinfectant-know/

In reality, it has long been known that sunlight is a powerful disinfectant and bactericide. As early as 1877, researchers discovered that sugar water left in the shade became cloudy, indicative of bacterial growth, but if exposed to sunlight, it remained clear.[3]  In 1890, the German microbi ...[text shortened]... stabilization ponds.[5] [6] [7]

More evidence that the key to stopping this virus is sunlight.
    So, dude.

The novel coronavirus is indeed highly susceptible to UV radiation, including from the sun. That's granted, and sometimes when I think there's a chance that the virus could have gotten on, say, my wallet, I'll just set it out in direct sunlight for 5 or 10 minutes. A leather wallet cannot be washed with alcohol or soap -- I mean, not without ruining it.

But you have to admit that you can't get sunlight everywhere. I'd be nice if our bodies were transparent to UV radiation, but they aren't.

Just speaking to the room at large here, I also recommend against using Tide pods as suppositories.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '20 16:22
    @Soothfast
    I heard you had to use at least THREE as suppositories, one is just not enough. At least that is what I heard from the WH briefing room...….
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 01:40
    @sonhouse said
    @Soothfast
    I heard you had to use at least THREE as suppositories, one is just not enough. At least that is what I heard from the WH briefing room...….
    Yes, the bigger the ass the more suppositories are necessary. Trump reportedly needs seven thousand.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 08:05
    @Eladar
    Are you frigging KIDDING? You haven't noticed the resurgence of C19 in the southern states and the new cases going up and past 50,000 a day and Fauci predicting 100,000 new cases a DAY? And I may be wrong but it has been said July is in fact summertime. So where is this magical disappearance of C19 then?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 11:464 edits
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Are you frigging KIDDING? You haven't noticed the resurgence of C19 in the southern states and the new cases going up and past 50,000 a day and Fauci predicting 100,000 new cases a DAY? And I may be wrong but it has been said July is in fact summertime. So where is this magical disappearance of C19 then?
    This again depends on population. Why cant people understand this. According to WM the New Cases yesterday for the entire US is 50k, what you deliberately choose to ignore is we tested 0.6 MILLION people yesterday!

There has been a sharp rise is new cases because there has been a sharp rise in testing! The new cases have been climbing dramatically since the middle of June. The accompanying deaths are nowhere to be found...deaths continue to be in steady decline.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:078 edits
    @joe-shmo said

There has been a sharp rise is new cases because there has been a sharp rise in testing!
    Not necessarily. I take it what you mean by "new cases" is "newly detected cases".
    A rise in new actual cases i.e. including as-yet unconfirmed ones can at least be partly what could cause an increase in testing which in turn can lead to more people being actually tested. A rise in new actual cases should mean more people showing symptoms and that can cause an increase in demand for number of people to be tested.
    One thing pee-brain Trump seems to not get is that not detecting and confirming cases doesn't make all the actual cases magically go away; Its a bit like assuming if you don't look at a problem then it ceases to exist just purely because you don't see it! But then the reason why you wouldn't see it is because you aren't looking.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:291 edit
    @joe-shmo
    600,000 out of a third of a BILLION? Wow, am I impressed or what.
    What do you think of Trump announcing we need to slow down the testing so there won't be any new cases?

This is the announcement of a 'Stable Genius'?

More like the ramblings of dementia.

In case you have been watching REAL news stories in Arizona people are waiting in line as much as 8 hours for testing only to find the window of opportunity was 8 AM to 8:02 Am. Two minutes and they ran out of testing materials.

Yep, a real win for Trump.

That kind of testing crisis is nearly everywhere in the US now. It's no wonder only a half million have been tested with Trump as our 'fearless' leader.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:294 edits
    @humy said
    Not necessarily. I take it what you mean by "new cases" is "newly detected cases".
    A rise in new actual cases i.e. including as-yet unconfirmed ones can at least be partly what could cause an increase in testing which in term can lead to more people being actually tested. A rise in new actual cases should mean more people showing symptoms and that can cause an increase in deman ...[text shortened]... because you don't see it! But then the reason why you wouldn't see it is because you aren't looking.
    You cant have your cake and eat it too humy. New Cases are sharply rising over a duration of time much larger than the incubation period of COVID and deaths continue to decline. You are putting the cart before the horse in your "analysis". Where are the accompanying deaths?

I have data. On May 11th for example. The US tested 169,205. The New Positives on that day 17,655

10% Positive per Test Issued per Day

The same data now is 50,586 Positives/616,826 Tests = 8% Positve per Test Issued per Day.

If the disesase was refiring, the Positive per Test Issued per Day would be increasing from its values near the peak. However, this value, like deaths is also in decline from the peak.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 14:30
    @sonhouse said
    @joe-shmo
    What do you think of Trump announcing we need to slow down the testing so there won't be any new cases?

During "peak" pandemic we were only testing at 1/3 of the rate we currently are.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 15:45
    @sonhouse said
    @joe-shmo

In case you have been watching REAL news stories in Arizona people are waiting in line as much as 8 ...[text shortened]... the US now. It's no wonder only a half million have been tested with Trump as our 'fearless' leader.
    "That kind of testing crisis is nearly everywhere in the US now. It's no wonder only a half million have been tested with Trump as our 'fearless' leader."

Per day Sonhouse!...Half Million Test per Day!
  14. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '20 17:471 edit
    @eladar said
    So you agree that this summer it looks like covid is going away.

Unlike Spanish Flu, this thing is only much of a threat to the elderly. This winter it will no longer be novel.

I really doubt we will see the kinds of deaths we see in New York, perhaps it will be bad in California. California nursing homes have not been ravaged yet.
    I think we have 2 cases in New Zealand at the current time.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you take it seriously at the start you should be fine.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '20 16:32
    @joe-shmo
    So, you know full well that means about 700 days to get everyone tested ONCE.
    You also know full well people need multiple testing, so suppose we find out we need 4 tests per person, WOW, only 2800 days to get THAT done.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree