Sunlight as a disinfectant

Sunlight as a disinfectant

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Apr 20

@Shallow-Blue

About the same here in the Pocono so-called mountains in Pennsylvania😉

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Apr 20

@shallow-blue said
No, he's saying sunlight summer! Not "not quite as overcast as in autumn, winter, spring, the windy season, late August, and June" Irish/English summer.
It's raining today, but, basically since the lockdown started we've had perfect weather. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky for weeks. I don't know but imagine that it's the same in Ireland.

E

Moves
28 Apr 20

@deepthought said
It's raining today, but, basically since the lockdown started we've had perfect weather. There hasn't been a cloud in the sky for weeks. I don't know but imagine that it's the same in Ireland.
Have you checked your UV levels? You are pretty far north.

E

Moves
28 Apr 20
2 edits

Do you have something like this?

https://uv.willyweather.com/tx/dallas-county/dallas.html

Compare to London

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/uk/forecasts/uv/greater-london/london

E

Moves
28 Apr 20

Dallas 8.3
London highest 4

The UV will not get strong for at least a month for the UK I think.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 May 20

@Eladar
We are not going to get much UV sunlight here in the Pocono's since it is mostly cloudy and rainy. Today, Thursday May 7, is an exception, actual sun showing for the first time in a couple of weeks. Yesterday the entire northeast was rainy.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 May 20

@sonhouse said
@Eladar
We are not going to get much UV sunlight here in the Pocono's since it is mostly cloudy and rainy. Today, Thursday May 7, is an exception, actual sun showing for the first time in a couple of weeks. Yesterday the entire northeast was rainy.
I looked up the Poconos on Wikipedia, it looks really pretty.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

@DeepThought
Yes, I think this area is the model for Heinlein's Green Hills of Earth.
You know what surprised me driving around here, a son lives about 100 Km away in a town called Shamokin and on the drive there I came across a HUGE windmill farm, you know, the absolute giants. I think those suckers generate a megawatt EACH, at least when the wind blows😉 and there were dozens of them stacked up on the hills. Surprised the snot out me😉

E

Moves
12 May 20

Looks like as summer gets closer, the number of deaths is declining. Something good happens as the sun travels your direction.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 May 20

@Eladar
You are dangerously naïve.

E

Moves
12 May 20

@sonhouse said
@Eladar
You are dangerously naïve.
Have you been looking at the numbers?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

@Eladar

No matter what the numbers say RIGHT NOW, you are STILL dangerously naïve.
That would be because you are just parroting your god king.
Come fall your words will come back to bite you in the ass.

There were 675,000 American deaths in 1918 'Spanish' flu.

I would not be surprised to see that number be approached this time.
Maybe not that many but I bet the numbers go over 200,000.

The only silver lining in all this is when the US gets their asses together on a project, they swing into high gear and that is what seems to be going on now with this virus.

That is the one thing we have now that we did not have a hundred years ago.

E

Moves
12 May 20

@sonhouse

I say what I believe. You prove yourself to be an inferior intellect if you believe what is am saying is not based in the science revealed in the conference and what I see on worldometer.

Everything is there for everyone to see.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 May 20
1 edit

@Eladar
Come back and say that again come January, we will see who is inferior intellectually.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
12 May 20

@eladar said
Have you been looking at the numbers?
The difficulty is that if Covid-19 behaves like a seasonal 'flu then we'll get it back next year. Admittedly there needs to be some sort of reservoir, but all sorts of animals were getting it, pets, lions in zoos, if it's into the wildlife population we actually can have a seasonal problem with covid-19 and it's infection fatality ratio is high enough that it's a worry. For under 65's it's about 0.27%, this is people of working age. 1 in 400 odd people under 65 dying during the winter isn't what we need.