1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 05:19
    "The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance, but to overcome it."
    ~ Lawrence Krauss

YouTube
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 05:45
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    ~ Lawrence Krauss

http://youtu.be/UTedvV6oZjo
    There is no science here. This man is only expressing his opinion and using lies to do it.

The Instructor
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 09:191 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    ~ Lawrence Krauss

http://youtu.be/UTedvV6oZjo
    now tell me, was there any research in the field of eugenics that qualified as child abuse.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 10:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no science here. This man is only expressing his opinion and using lies to do it.

The Instructor
    Just exactly what is he lying about? Evolution is here to stay, it is creationist fairy tales that is on the decline. You figure it is a lie the Earth goes round the sun like he says? There are no lies here, but real truth. You are just too brainwashed to know it. You wouldn't know real truth if it came up and bit you in the ass.
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 21:02
    Someone please explain to me why it matters if a kid believes the earth is 6000 years old? What if they believed the earth was flat? Why does it matter? Would that belief stop them from being a productive member of society? Does it stop them breathing? Does it break their bones or physically injure their brain? What about when kids grew up believing the sun rotated around the earth? What about if they grew up believing in the steady state theory or freaking pixie dust? Let's stop talking in ridiculous hyperbole.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 21:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just exactly what is he lying about? Evolution is here to stay, it is creationist fairy tales that is on the decline. You figure it is a lie the Earth goes round the sun like he says? There are no lies here, but real truth. You are just too brainwashed to know it. You wouldn't know real truth if it came up and bit you in the ass.
    He says creationism defies reality, which is a lie. He says the age of the earth is 4.55 billion years old, which is another lie. Then he says teaching that the earth is 6000 years old is like teaching the distance across the United States is 17 feet, which is the most ridiculous lie. He also says evolution is the basis of modern biology when we know evolution is not necessary for the study of modern biology and this guy is a theoretical physicist anyway and not an authority on modern biology. I believe teaching evilution is a hinderance to advancement in technology and science, because evilution is a lie.

The Instructor
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 21:582 edits
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Someone please explain to me why it matters if a kid believes the earth is 6000 years old? What if they believed the earth was flat? Why does it matter? Would that belief stop them from being a productive member of society? Does it stop them breathing? Does it break their bones or physically injure their brain? What about when kids grew up believing the sun ...[text shortened]... in the steady state theory or freaking pixie dust? Let's stop talking in ridiculous hyperbole.
    But having delusion is intrinsically bad, even if it does no practical harm. Would you not regard it as harmful if somebody convinced you of an absurd lie such as the existence of the tooth fairy?

But I am not even sure if we can assume it want do no practical harm in any given case. After all, this type of delusional way of thinking has been responsible for many mass murders throughout history.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 00:162 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    He says creationism defies reality, which is a lie. He says the age of the earth is 4.55 billion years old, which is another lie. Then he says teaching that the earth is 6000 years old is like teaching the distance across the United States is 17 feet, which is the most ridiculous lie. He also says evolution is the basis of modern biology when we know evolu ...[text shortened]... nderance to advancement in technology and science, because evilution is a lie.

The Instructor
    Every word you just typed is total BULLSHYTE. NOBODY but people on the fringe of the universe believes any of that crap you pretend you know. Science will go totally backwards if views like yours predominate. It is people like you who keep american science down, you want to DESTROY science not build it up.

You especially have ZERO street cred in science, fortunately for the world. The views you and your recidivist buddies have puts the minds of the world at risk of atrophying because you only want to preach dogma and damn the consequences.

Seeing you type your obvious BULLSHYTE is healthy because you alert intelligent people around the world just how screwy your mind works. So keep on typing your BS, more and more people will understand what a right wing nutter you really are to the detriment of your cause.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 00:18
    Originally posted by humy
    But having delusion is intrinsically bad, even if it does no practical harm. Would you not regard it as harmful if somebody convinced you of an absurd lie such as the existence of the tooth fairy?

But I am not even sure if we can assume it want do no practical harm in any given case. After all, this type of delusional way of thinking has been responsible for many mass murders throughout history.
    Children are allowed to watch cartoons and fantasy movies all the time. I used to watch TV shows like "The Lone Ranger" and "The Cisco Kid" and "The Road Runner" as a kid. But now we have some people that think such shows are child abuse because of the guns and violence, etc. Many people still enjoy watching fantasy movies in their old age.

I don't see any real harm that can be done by teaching creationism to kids, even if in the future we obtain real proof that creationism is false. What is so wrong with freedom of thought? I think it would be worse to not allow freedom of thought.

The Instructor
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 01:39
    Originally posted by e4chris
    now tell me, was there any research in the field of eugenics that qualified as child abuse.
    Good one!!!
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 02:31
    Originally posted by e4chris
    What is the point of that? The Nazi's did a pretty good job of child abuse, actually KILLING children in their Eugenics pogroms. Did you hear about the poor black women in the US in the 1940's who got routinely sterilized when they went for any kind of medical procedure? Young girls barely 15 and such and women of 30. A dark pathologically sick time in US history.
  12. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 06:08
    Originally posted by humy

Look man, I mean this in the least antagonistic way possible, but you and I are never going to agree on this issue. I'll tell you why. Scientific theories get replaced all the time based on new evidence or what have you. Yet, until those theories go down, they define reality. What if it turns out the universe is nothing more than a hologram? What if dark matter and dark energy don't exist? Would you then say that everyone who argued for dark matter was delusional?

Plus, i disagree with your contention that delusions are intrinsically bad. After all, what do you think the placebo effect is?

Finally, let's address your last point. What do you think has facilitated greater and greater numbers of deaths in those mass murders? That's right good old rational science. When was the last time 50000 people were killed by a sharpened stick? Did the US invade the middle east because of the oil? Why did we need the oil?
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 06:15

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 08:05
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Finally, let's address your last point. What do you think has facilitated greater and greater numbers of deaths in those mass murders? That's right good old rational science. When was the last time 50000 people were killed by a sharpened stick? Did the US invade the middle east because of the oil? Why did we need the oil?
    So you are arguing that we should teach children creationism in order to keep them ignorant so that they don't learn science and do bad stuff with it?
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 09:052 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you are arguing that we should teach children creationism in order to keep them ignorant so that they don't learn science and do bad stuff with it?
    LOL. If that is what he meant, perhaps he has a point! Perhaps we SHOULD keep them ignorant of real science! After all, who knows what those crazed morons would do with it if they finally actually understood it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree