1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think most people are more concerned about the 'bad' additives in tap water. Some though are convinced that there are special minerals etc in bottled water.
    True. Where I live, there aren't any bad additives in the tap warter, it's just water. Therefore I wrote about the tap water I use.

Not everywhere in the world have good tap water, so I don't mind people drinking that. It's about the additives worth a millicent a bottle and they sell it for doubled or trippled price, because it is 'healthy'. See the homepage given in the first posting, turning to women only.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:05
    But you can usually get water from your tap essentially for free. By buying it bottled, you are spending more than you need to, causing pollution, waste etc. And if you prefer water to soft drinks, the same could be said when you buy a soft drink.
    At home I also drink tap water, but I filter it as here in London it has a lot of limescale and it tastes poorly, in my opinion.

But I definitely still buy more bottled water than soft drinks. Since pollution, waste, etc also applies to soft drinks I don't know how relative consumption of bottled water versus soft drinks means people are stupid.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:07
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I quoted your posting. I intended to do that. Don't you like to be quoted?
    So you think quotes should have no relevance to what you post? 😵
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:071 edit
    In some cases, yes, but I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, no.
    Lets discuss it. What reasons can you suggest for people buying bottled water?
    Taste, for example.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:101 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So you think quotes should have no relevance to what you post? 😵
    Do you really think that you line of debate is the least important?

I don't mind saying that "You're right, and I'm wrong" if this will make you happy.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:13
    Do you really think that you line of debate is the least important?

I don't mind saying that "You're right, and I'm wrong" if this will make you happy.
    No, I don't. But if my line of debate is different from the main one, then quoting it is a mistake if you don't want to talk about it.

Simple.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:16
    No, I don't. But if my line of debate is different from the main one, then quoting it is a mistake if you don't want to talk about it.

Simple.
    So the quoting the right poster is more important than the message given?

Or do you mean that quoting a poster mean that one has the opposite opinion, and need to be refuted?

You really think that your line of debate is important? Giving the reader excitement when read? I don't. We can stop here, if you don't mind.

Or you can respectfully have the last point. And we end there.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:23

Or do you mean that quoting a poster mean that one has the opposite opinion, and need to be refuted?

You really think that your line of debate is important? Giving the reader excitement when read? I don't. We can stop here, if you don't mind.

Or you can respectfully have the last point. And we end there.
    I didn't said that. I said I expected the quote to be relevant for the post.

I didn't said that. I said I expected the quote to be relevant for the post.

So it was not relevant for your post. Why quote me then?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:421 edit
    Why is that stupid? In general, I prefer to drink water over any soft drink.
    Perhaps the quality of drinking water is not so high in Portugal. In the Netherlands, quality controls for water are extremely strict - much stricter than they are for bottled water - and in general tap water is a lot healthier than bottled water. Taste is fine as well, generally. Still, many opt to buy bottled water.

By the way, there's a nice Penn and Teller episode on this. You should watch it.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:451 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Perhaps the quality of drinking water is not so high in Portugal. In the Netherlands, quality controls for water are extremely strict - much stricter than they are for bottled water - and in general tap water is a lot healthier than bottled water. Taste is fine as well, generally. Still, many opt to buy bottled water.

By the way, there's a nice Penn and Teller episode on this. You should watch it.
    It depends where in Portugal. In the north, where I'm from, it's very good. But in the south it has a lot of limescale and so it doesn't taste so good. In London, where I live, water is like the south of Portugal and I need to filter it. Still, I drink it regularly and don't buy bottled water for home consumption. Still, when I'm not at home I would always buy bottled water over soft drinks.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:51
    It depends where in Portugal. In the north, where I'm from, it's very good. But in the south it has a lot of limescale and so it doesn't taste so good. In London, where I live, water is like the south of Portugal and I need to filter it. Still, I drink it regularly and don't buy bottled water for home consumption. Still, when I'm not at home I would always buy bottled water over soft drinks.
    Ahh, well that's understandable I guess. Though I always buy at least carbonated water, since I feel too ripped off buying water for several euros (even though the production costs are probably comparably low for bottled water and carbonated drinks - but at least you can't get carbonated water as easily).
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 16:01
    At home I also drink tap water, but I filter it as here in London it has a lot of limescale and it tastes poorly, in my opinion.
    I know the taste is different. But are people willing to pay that much for the taste of their water? I suppose, with soft drinks, the answer is definitely yes.

But I definitely still buy more bottled water than soft drinks.
    So presumably you are often in a place where tap water is not available. Or at least not tap water that you trust to be safe to drink? So maybe it is the council that is at fault for not providing taps?

Since pollution, waste, etc also applies to soft drinks I don't know how relative consumption of bottled water versus soft drinks means people are stupid.
    My point was not really the relative consumption, but simply the concept of buying so much bottled water. Why don't we carry water with us? Why don't more people provide taps for drinking from? It just seems like a wasteful ripoff.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:18
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    so that nobody is stupid enough to buy this!

Skinny Water® has no sugar and no calories. It is marketed by Skinny Nutritional Corp.

http://www.skinnywater.co.uk/

UNBELIEVABLE!
    YouTube
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:19
    Unless I am mistaken, the sales of bottled water nearly exceeds the sales of softdrinks.
    People are stupid.
    Soft drinks aren't exactly a good investment. I say this as a diet cola addict.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:21
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    There are reasons to buy bottled water other than stupidly believing that it is somehow better than water from one's tap. Not all buyers of bottled water are stupid.
    The reason my Dad buys it is for the packaging. He's too lazy to keep the bottles and refill them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree