1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:23
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Ahh, well that's understandable I guess. Though I always buy at least carbonated water, since I feel too ripped off buying water for several euros (even though the production costs are probably comparably low for bottled water and carbonated drinks - but at least you can't get carbonated water as easily).
    You know you manufacture your own carbon dioxide. No need to buy it dissolved in water unless you simply like the sensation. It will merely make the water dissolve your teeth a tiny bit.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I know the taste is different. But are people willing to pay that much for the taste of their water? I suppose, with soft drinks, the answer is definitely yes.

[b]But I definitely still buy more bottled water than soft drinks.

So presumably you are often in a place where tap water is not available. Or at least not tap water that you trust to be sa ...[text shortened]... ? Why don't more people provide taps for drinking from? It just seems like a wasteful ripoff.[/b]
    With bottled water you know it's clean. Who knows what nasty person put their lips or unwashed fingers on the faucet?
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 03:36
    In some cases, yes, but I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, no.
    Lets discuss it. What reasons can you suggest for people buying bottled water?
    Are we talking about bottled water for home consumption or just purchasing bottled water anywhere? Since if the latter and I'm on the road or on a jog then going into a shop and getting a bottle of water or two as opposed to a soft drink doesn't garner a second thought.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 08:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    With bottled water you know it's clean. Who knows what nasty person put their lips or unwashed fingers on the faucet?
    Well then, we need to find a more hygienic type of faucet. I refuse to believe that bottled water is the most efficient method of distributing water.
    I must also note that the issue of worrying about who last put their lips on the faucet is entirely in our heads and there really is little or no real health risk. Possibly better teaching of science in schools would help with this?

I must note that I do not consider everyone who has bought a bottle of water to be stupid. I do think that I have several times stupidly bought bottled water when there were better alternatives. I also think that as a society we are stupid not to have come up with a better solution. We are letting ourselves get ripped off.
    I really cant see how being persuaded to pay so much for such a cheap commodity as water is not as stupid as being persuaded to pay for the product advertised in the OP. At least they claim to be adding something to the water, not just selling you the same thing you get in your faucet.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 08:21
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Are we talking about bottled water for home consumption or just purchasing bottled water anywhere? Since if the latter and I'm on the road or on a jog then going into a shop and getting a bottle of water or two as opposed to a soft drink doesn't garner a second thought.
    In many bars or restaurants you can ask for tap water (hopefully hygienically served).
    Could shops not offer a similar service at a lower price than bottled water?
    If you had a free supply of softdrink at your house would you take some with you when you go out, or would you buy some in the shops?

I must also note here that I come from a much poorer society than the rest of you, so a bottle of water represents more money to me. Maybe I would see it differently if the price of a bottle of water was a lot lower.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 09:591 edit
    In many bars or restaurants you can ask for tap water (hopefully hygienically served).
    Could shops not offer a similar service at a lower price than bottled water?
    If you had a free supply of softdrink at your house would you take some with you when you go out, or would you buy some in the shops?

I must also note here that I come from a much poorer s ...[text shortened]... money to me. Maybe I would see it differently if the price of a bottle of water was a lot lower.
    I should have noted you come from a poorer society and so I apologise if my blase stance on this issue is insulting or disrespectful but..

Though I tend to avoid soft drinks, I say that even if I had a free supply of soft drinks at my house there would still be times where for convenience sake it would be better to go get a soft drink only at the time it was required, and not before. As for offering to sell tap water in shops it seems like a good idea for those times of the year there would be a demand for it but then in my nearly 30 years of life here in England I've yet to see a shop that offered this service. Perhaps the requirement to stock disposable cups or install a font, sacrificing their vigil over the shop to get the water (thieves), silly questions from customers, or other issues presents an obstacle to this.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 13:07
    The only time i ever buy bottled water is if i'm away travelling, or when my bottle that i use to fill up from my tap needs replacing. If i ever need a drink when i don't have something on me, i always buy milk, much better for you than some sugary crap soft drink.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 13:16
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The only time i ever buy bottled water is if i'm away travelling, or when my bottle that i use to fill up from my tap needs replacing. If i ever need a drink when i don't have something on me, i always buy milk, much better for you than some sugary crap soft drink.
    Actually, milk is not very healthy at all. You'd be better off buying water or possibly even a light soda drink.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 13:34
    Actually, milk is not very healthy at all. You'd be better off buying water or possibly even a light soda drink.
    That interesting. What is unhealthy about milk?
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 14:17
    Soda is better than milk?

Do tell.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 16:09
    That interesting. What is unhealthy about milk?
    Lactose.

Its only recently that humans have 'mutated' and developed the ability to maintain lactose digesting enzymes (although the ability to digest lactose decreases from 3 yrs onwards). Most of the world population continue to show some level of lactose intolerance. Its poison!

Why milk products taste so good I dont know!
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 16:30
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Lactose.

Its only recently that humans have 'mutated' and developed the ability to maintain lactose digesting enzymes (although the ability to digest lactose decreases from 3 yrs onwards). Most of the world population continue to show some level of lactose intolerance. Its poison!

It's only 'poison' if you are lactose intolerant. If you have the mutation and continue to produce lactase, and subsequently can digest lactose, then you're ok.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 16:53
    Lactose.

But for those of us who carry the appropriate mutation, we are not lactose intolerant and it is not poison.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 17:05
    But for those of us who carry the appropriate mutation, we are not lactose intolerant and it is not poison.
    As far as I am aware "lactose intolerance" is not a YES or NO ... its a whole spectrum. All of us, including those with the mutation, do not process lactose the same way a baby does. If you think about it drinking milk after weaning is weird (does any other animal do it in the wild?) and drinking milk of another species is even weirder!

Now where's my Stilton and Port ...?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 17:203 edits
    As far as I am aware "lactose intolerance" is not a YES or NO ... its a whole spectrum. All of us, including those with the mutation, do not process lactose the same way a baby does. If you think about it drinking milk after weaning is weird (does any other animal do it in the wild?) and drinking milk of another species is even weirder!

Now where's my Stilton and Port ...?
    From what i inderstand about lactose intolerance, it is yes or no. Either you have the mutation or you don't but the level to which an indivdual is tolerant varies within people who are intolerant.

In response to your point about drinking another animals milk, i'm going to post somebody elses post on another website about the same topic -

No other animal kills a cow cuts him up and throws him on the grill, and ejoys him while watching a good college football game either, what is your point?
    Also if you offer cows milk to dogs, cats, probably any animal they would drink it. Just a little tough to harvest what with the paws and such.

But we're sidetracking, the initial post we queried was that drinking milk was unhealthy and drinking light soft drinks was better for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree