1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 21:02
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Sort of, given two observers moving relative to one another then to get between their coordinate systems one needs a boost. This isn't an acceleration, in the sense that nothing material is being accelerated, but is like an acceleration in the sense that there's a change in velocity. The technical term is boost to avoid the confusion involved in callin ...[text shortened]... s there are also accelerated frames of reference, such as the one I'm sat in now as I type this.
    You were sitting in an accelerated frame of reference as you were typing that? Don't you know that it's dangerous to text and drive?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 07:20
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    You were sitting in an accelerated frame of reference as you were typing that? Don't you know that it's dangerous to text and drive?
    I was sat at home in front of a screen typing on a keyboard, I tend not to log in using mobile devices. Near the Earth the set of inertial frames involve freefall. Sat on the surface we are in an accelerated frame.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 08:23
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I was sat at home in front of a screen typing on a keyboard, I tend not to log in using mobile devices. Near the Earth the set of inertial frames involve freefall. Sat on the surface we are in an accelerated frame.
    Ah, yes... (if only Einstein could see us now)

I suppose my tablet could be called a mobile device, but I never take it anywhere... even on those rare occasions when I contemplate leaving Earth's shallow gravity well I leave my tablet at home.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree