1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 16:122 edits
    @eladar said
    I am pretty sure I just answered your question.

Who is going to fund the study you want? All we can have are observational studies because nobody is going to fund a vitamin D covid study, nobody will become a billionaire.

If the study was to be done, big pharm would only miss out on the money.
    You mean these studies?

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04536298
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04579640
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04449718

EDIT: Also there's this one in MedRxiv (not peer reviewed but looks solid)

"This trial does not support the use of vitamin D3 supplementation as an adjuvant treatment of patients with COVID-19."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.16.20232397v1

EDIT 2: Your financial argument doesn't make sense. There are 3 large clinical trials ongoing and dozens of research articles. Obviously there's financial backing for it, but the issue appears to be that it doesn't work.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 17:35
    @wildgrass said
    You mean these studies?

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04536298
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04579640
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04449718

EDIT: Also there's this one in MedRxiv (not peer reviewed but looks solid)

"This trial does not support the use of vitamin D3 supplementation as an adjuvant treatment of patients with COVID-19."
    ...[text shortened]... icles. Obviously there's financial backing for it, but the issue appears to be that it doesn't work.
    Whatlevels of vitamin D did those studies try to attain? Who paid for the studies?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 17:421 edit
    The amount of vitamin D given for emergency supplementation was 1000 IU per pound according to the doctor in the article I read.

100 lb person should be given 100k IU per day for 3 days, then 5 to 10k each day after.

A 200lb person should be given 200k per day for 3 days, then 5k to 10k daily there after.

Normal supplementation takes 90 days or so to show improvement.

So no, those studies did nothing at all.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 18:18
    @eladar said
    The amount of vitamin D given for emergency supplementation was 1000 IU per pound according to the doctor in the article I read.

100 lb person should be given 100k IU per day for 3 days, then 5 to 10k each day after.

A 200lb person should be given 200k per day for 3 days, then 5k to 10k daily there after.

Normal supplementation takes 90 days or so to show improvement.

So no, those studies did nothing at all.
    I don't understand how a randomized controlled trial examining the role of VitD supplements in COVID outcomes does nothing at all, but a retrospectively weak correlation between circulating VitD levels (irrespective of supplementation) and COVID outcomes provides proof of causality (especially at the doses you report here).

All the info on collaborators, sponsors and doses in the clinical trials are listed in the links I provided.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 18:391 edit
    @wildgrass said
    I don't understand how a randomized controlled trial examining the role of VitD supplements in COVID outcomes does nothing at all, but a retrospectively weak correlation between circulating VitD levels (irrespective of supplementation) and COVID outcomes provides proof of causality (especially at the doses you report here).

All the info on collaborators, sponsors and doses in the clinical trials are listed in the links I provided.
    You did not read what I wrote. It takes time to build up vitamin D levels in the body. If the vitamin D levels are not high enough, it will do no good.

The flip side is that if you are talking about a population with high vitamin D levels, then supplementation will do no good.

So if you are talking about vitamin D deficient populations, then you need to get their vitamin D levels up. 3.6k IU will not do the job in 28 days.

The people running the studies look like they could be getting their money from establishment government and or big pharm.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 18:451 edit
    Here are the numbers

The 3.6k per day for 28 days results in 100.8 IU

1000 per pound for 3 days then 10k for 25 days for 180 lb person results in 790k IU.

For a 250 lb person that would be 1000k IU.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '20 19:47
    Another way of looking at it.

After 90 days of the 3.6k treatment the person would get 324k IU.

The other treatment would give the person that much and likely more in just 3 days.

Remember it is not taking vitamin D that does the trick, it is having enough in the body.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 10:28
    @eladar said
    I am pretty sure I just answered your question.

Who is going to fund the study you want? All we can have are observational studies because nobody is going to fund a vitamin D covid study, nobody will become a billionaire.

If the study was to be done, big pharm would only miss out on the money.
    There is no profit for big pharma with selenium either. A couple of brazil nuts or sunflower seeds and you are good even if you are a vegetarian.

Is a vitamin supplement the same as getting it in your diet? Is either a good substitute for getting it from direct sunlight?

Vitamin D is a factor, but is it the main factor? Is it any better than getting selenium in your diet? Selenium deficiency causes more C19 deaths as well.

https://www.drdebe.com/blog/2020/3/25/why-do-so-many-weird-nasty-viruses-come-from-china

Not only does selenium help C19 patients recover faster, low selenium may lead to mutations of the virus to deadlier variations of that virus!

Not informing the public of this amounts to negligence. Informing people about this will save lives, but public health officials have to speak up about it. Fauci will not because he has a conflict of interest. He will profit from the vaccines.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/anthony-s-fauci

The corporate news media ignores the conflict of interests and that is why most people don't know about it.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 14:013 edits
    Here below is a link about a study that suggests a strong correlation between severe vit D deficiency and covid deaths BUT note the several caveats to this study that include the fact it hasn't yet gone through peer-reviewed and it also says;

"...The researchers say the study findings do not necessarily mean low levels of vitamin D increase the COVID-19 mortality rate or that normalizing the vitamin D level would bring this rate down.

Other variables could account for both a higher prevalence of vitamin deficiency and a higher COVID-19 mortality rate, such as unknown genetic factors or inadequate healthcare services, they write...."

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200702/More-evidence-on-vitamin-D-deficiency-and-death-rates-from-COVID-19.aspx

So nothing conclusive yet. Just some possible maybes. We will just have to wait for some better studies and then we shall see.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 18:11
    @eladar said
    You did not read what I wrote. It takes time to build up vitamin D levels in the body. If the vitamin D levels are not high enough, it will do no good.

The flip side is that if you are talking about a population with high vitamin D levels, then supplementation will do no good.

So if you are talking about vitamin D deficient populations, then you need to get their vitami ...[text shortened]... studies look like they could be getting their money from establishment government and or big pharm.
    Yes, and my point was that insofar as conclusions go you need to draw a sharp line between direct experimental studies and correlative ones. The correlations you are pointing to here can show that high VitD = lower risk. It does not prove high VitD causes lower risk, since high VitD can itself be caused by many different things.

I don't know why you keep needling on the funding aspects of the studies. You already answered my question. If you have a larger point to make about conflict of interest in funding clinical trials I don't see it. Please clarify.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 18:224 edits
    @wildgrass said
    The correlations you are pointing to here can show that high VitD = lower risk. It does not prove high VitD causes lower risk, since high VitD can itself be caused by many different things.
    This is the old age perennial problem of people, mostly laypeople, confusing and equating correlation with causation. To help them understand their confusion, you may ask them;
    "Night is always followed by day so night is clearly correlated with day. Does that mean night CAUSES day?"

People that are vit D deficient are more likely to have a whole host of other probems, such as having dietary protein deficiency or older age or just generally greater poverty and stress from poverty etc.
    Why cannot any of those other problems be responsible for the greater covid rate and the greater covid death rate while the vit D has nothing to do with it?
    In other words, why cannot the correlation between vit D and covid, that nobody denies, be a non-causal one like the correlation between night and day?
    Obviously, that's not my claim but rather my claim is we don't yet know; and that's the point.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 19:321 edit
    @wildgrass said
    Yes, and my point was that insofar as conclusions go you need to draw a sharp line between direct experimental studies and correlative ones. The correlations you are pointing to here can show that high VitD = lower risk. It does not prove high VitD causes lower risk, since high VitD can itself be caused by many different things.

I don't know why you keep needling on the ...[text shortened]... point to make about conflict of interest in funding clinical trials I don't see it. Please clarify.
    My point is that nobody is going to do the right study, so you are stuck with what big money wants you to believe.

There is no harm with giving high levels of vitamin D for a short period of time, so why not try it?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 19:34
    @humy said
    This is the old age perennial problem of people, mostly laypeople, confusing and equating correlation with causation. To help them understand their confusion, you may ask them;
    "Night is always followed by day so night is clearly correlated with day. Does that mean night CAUSES day?"

People that are vit D deficient are more likely to have a whole host of other probems, such ...[text shortened]... day?
    Obviously, that's not my claim but rather my claim is we don't yet know; and that's the point.
    Lol, an establishment useful fool. Most of you people are.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 19:46
    Here is a challenge

Find a study with the high vitamin D on a typical US or Western Nation population and you can be happy.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '20 20:20
    This campaign group of Vitamin D and Covid-19 researchers, including myself, started the process to write this letter for the purpose to make all aware about the benefits of Vitamin D supplementation in Covid-19 infected patients and sending this letter to all health ministries, healthcare workers, governmental bodies and NGOs,” Haq told PTI. According to the letter, which had 171 signatories by Wednesday, evidence suggests the possibility that the Covid-19 pandemic sustains itself in large part through infection of those with low Vitamin D and deaths are concentrated largely in those with deficiency.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hindustantimes.com/science/vitamin-d-inexpensive-low-risk-can-strengthen-immune-response-to-covid-19-experts/story-K9mwpHFNMpXoknbASZ5otM_amp.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree