1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 17:50
    9 out of 10 covid deaths attributed to vitamin D deficiency.

Not sure why the other thread was deleted.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 18:06
    @eladar said

Not sure why the other thread was deleted.
    Would you like to give a (scientific) source, so that we can discuss?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 18:112 edits
    @eladar said
    The evidence for that is still vary far from conclusive and its far too early to state that as if its a scientific fact.

This link makes for a terribly long read but the gist of it is that up to the current point in time there have been many studies on this issue that have given many conflicting results and conclusions and, as a result, nobody can yet rationally know the answer to this;

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-what-role-does-vitamin-d-play#Evidence-so-far
    "...
    Studies investigating the role of vitamin D in preventing or treating COVID-19 have drawn conflicting conclusions.
    Back in June, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, in the U.K., reported that “There is no evidence to support taking vitamin D supplements to specifically prevent or treat COVID‑19.”

The organization based their statement on data from a number of published studies, all of which they deemed to contain a “very low quality of evidence.”
    Once the authors accounted for confounding factors, they concluded that there was no link between vitamin D levels and the likelihood of needing hospitalization for COVID-19 or dying from the disease.

The main limitation, the team noted, was that the vitamin D measurements had been taken roughly 10 years earlier.

The team gave one group of patients a supplementary high dose of calcifediol, a precursor molecule to vitamin D, in addition to a range of drugs to treat COVID-19. The other group did not receive calcifediol.

“Of [the] 50 patients treated with calcifediol, one required admission to the ICU (2😵, while of [the] 26 untreated patients, 13 required admission (50😵,” the researchers reported.

While these numbers seem impressive, the study was small and has several limitations. One is that the vitamin D levels of the participants were not measured before and during the study. There were also differences in confounding factors, such as other health conditions, between the two groups.

In addition, the study was open label, so both the researchers and the participants knew who had received vitamin D, which leaves room for bias.
    While these data may indicate that vitamin D plays a role in the likelihood of receiving a positive COVID-19 test result, the researchers cautiously described the many limitations of their study.
    ..."

We will just have to wait for better studies and then we shall see.

P.S. I'm not implying above you should NOT take vit D supplements. For starters, I am taking them, but not because of Covid but rather even before this pandemic I once specifically had a vit D deficiency and with symptoms thus I have been taking them even before this pandemic and before I even heard of 'covid'.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 18:40
    If you do not give enough vitamin D, it will not do much. Any study that bases vitamin d deficiency at rickets levels will have bad results.

So yeah, look at establishment types who do not understand the levels required, you will need to look to big pharm.

The story I read was a top Google story. It is gone now. I will link it if I find it.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 20:17
    @Eladar
    Well I am taking 5 to 10K a day now. Don't feel any different but I guess that is par for the course.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 20:36
    Why would you feel different?
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '20 20:44
    @Eladar

Do you own stock in a Vitamin D supplement company?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 03:55
    No.

Do those who love the covid shot own stock in either company?

Funny how the masses are the ruling parties' sheep.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 05:47
    Case in point

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2020/12/23/meet-the-50-doctors-scientists-and-healthcare-entrepreneurs-who-became-pandemic-billionaires-in-2020/?sh=19361ee15cd9

Altogether, Forbes found 50 new billionaires in the healthcare sector in 2020. The most notable newcomers of the year are the scientists behind the two most successful vaccines for the coronavirus  — one developed by Pfizer and German biotech firm BioNTech, the other by Massachusetts-based Moderna — who have seen their net worths skyrocket since January: Uğur Şahin and Stéphane Bancel
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 09:52
    @sonhouse said
    @Eladar
    Well I am taking 5 to 10K a day now. Don't feel any different but I guess that is par for the course.
    Careful. Vitamin D is fat-soluable, not water-soluable, and the body makes it naturally, although D production may decrease with age, and so toxicity can result from excessive intake. Excess blood calcium is often the first symptom of excessive D intake, this can result in kidney stones and/or kidney damage. As always, your mileage may vary, so always ask your doctor.

I currently take 2k units/day on advice of my doctor, since I was actually slightly deficient.
  11. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 10:07
    9 out of 10 posts attributed to Eladar cause common sense deficiency.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 11:08
    @neilarini said
    9 out of 10 posts attributed to Eladar cause common sense deficiency.
    I guess Doctor Google is pretty short on science. Who knew?
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 11:57
    I thought there was no scientific source for the OP. Elada, this is the Science Forum we like to have scientific base for discussion.

Thank you humy for providing a base.
    Thank you Suzianne for giving the warning. I add here the wikipedia as a starting point on levels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D_toxicity
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 13:04
    @Suzianne
    It seems I was very low to zero, so my doc said take 50,000 units for a week or so.

I did that, and later had a blood test which the doc said came out normal.

So maybe I should go down to 5K a day?

From what I do now, 10K/ day.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '20 19:211 edit
    @suzianne said
    Careful. Vitamin D is fat-soluable, not water-soluable, and the body makes it naturally, although D production may decrease with age, and so toxicity can result from excessive intake. Excess blood calcium is often the first symptom of excessive D intake, this can result in kidney stones and/or kidney damage. As always, your mileage may vary, so always ask your doctor.

I currently take 2k units/day on advice of my doctor, since I was actually slightly deficient.
    Suzi, if you do not want calcium issues make sure you are taking enough magnesium and drinking enough water.

How much vitamin D does a body make in summer at the beach if a person is in a bathing suit?

At noon in Miami, someone with Fitzpatrick skin type III would require 6 minutes to synthesize 1000 IU of vitamin D in the summer and 15 minutes in the winter. 

https://www.jwatch.org/jd201006040000002/2010/06/04/how-much-sunlight-equivalent-vitamin-d

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree