What causes magnetism?

What causes magnetism?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
14 Feb 20

Explain it as simply as possible.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-Albert Einstein

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
14 Feb 20

@Metal-Brain
What a coincidence. I was just wondering if anyone on earth really knows what a magnetic field is. It seems to be even stranger than gravity.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
14 Feb 20

Magnets cause magnetism.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Feb 20

@Metal-Brain
Two things. One, every atom has a magnetic field, tiny as it may be.
If they are all jumbled up they add up to zilch.

If you can get all those tiny magnets to line up then you have a useable external field made up by all those tiny ones acting in accord.

The second one comes from moving electrical currents in a conductor.
If you have an electrical current in a conductor, the current causes an external field which is what makes our civilization run, motors, generators, oscillators, frequency converters ALL run on manipulation of the magnetic field generated by electric current running in a conductor.

Not sure how I can make it simpler than that. Anyone else willing to try, knock yourself out.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
14 Feb 20

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
Two things. One, every atom has a magnetic field, tiny as it may be.
If they are all jumbled up they add up to zilch.

If you can get all those tiny magnets to line up then you have a useable external field made up by all those tiny ones acting in accord.

The second one comes from moving electrical currents in a conductor.
If you have an electrical curre ...[text shortened]... or.

Not sure how I can make it simpler than that. Anyone else willing to try, knock yourself out.
Yes, that's all very obvious, but what is it? Is it a magic particle? Or a magic wave? Or a distortion of dark energy? Or a space warp? Or invisible rubber bands and springs?

h

Moves
14 Feb 20
3 edits

@metal-brain said

-Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein was wrong about that but still right about most other things.
For example, it is probably impossible to explain the whole of general relativity including the meaning of all those MASSIVELY complex equation 'simply' even if you understood it all infinitely well! Even people with the greatest and smartest minds, such as his, are sometimes wrong.

Unfortunately the simplest explanation will still always be beyond your willingness let alone ability to understand it. Therefore we would be wasting our time giving the the simplest explanation even if one of us had it to give, which probably none of us do.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Feb 20
2 edits

@bunnyknight
That was to answer the question Metal brain brought up. It's a field of force carrying lines capable of interacting with atoms and conductors. Anything beyond that you will have to ask a physicist and I doubt you would like his or her answer either.
What CAUSES magnetism? it is one of the fundamental forces that came with the making of our universe so when the universe popped into place or whatever, magnetic fields were there from the start so you best ask a cosmologist that question. It would be like 'what causes atoms'.

Moves
14 Feb 20

@sonhouse said
@bunnyknight
That was to answer the question Metal brain brought up. It's a field of force carrying lines capable of interacting with atoms and conductors. Anything beyond that you will have to ask a physicist and I doubt you would like his or her answer either.
What CAUSES magnetism? it is one of the fundamental forces that came with the making of our universe so when the ...[text shortened]... re from the start so you best ask a cosmologist that question. It would be like 'what causes atoms'.
I believe the answer to his question is in flux. 😀

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
14 Feb 20

@sonhouse
My gut feeling is that nobody, not a single scientist on Earth, really knows what magnetism really is. It's just as mysterious as dark matter or dark energy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 20
1 edit

@Metal-Brain

I imagine you have alienated yourself enough among the resident physicists to the point of no return. I see that Deepthought has pretty much given up and resorted to sarcasm-ish responses. That says a lot ( about you ), he has been more than patient helping me untangle many past inquiries. I imagine you are bringing this up because wiki links it to "elementary particle spin", so don't believe there can be any further rational debate on the matter given the content in the recent thread you created.

From Kazetnagorra i'd expect useless responses ( he's an egomaniac ), but Deepthought...no. You probably deserve the silent treatment...

Good luck on your search for un-obfuscated "truth"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism#Sources

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Feb 20

@metal-brain said

-Albert Einstein
What is the most complicated concept you know of?

Explain it simply to us.
Thanks.

K

Germany

Moves
15 Feb 20

@metal-brain said

-Albert Einstein
Electric charges cause magnetism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

Moves
15 Feb 20

@wolfgang59 said
What is the most complicated concept you know of?

Explain it simply to us.
Thanks.
I know you weren't asking me Wolfman.

But...

Krebs Cycle.

I passed A&P with a high 90. But, I've never felt all that great about it. This physiological jigsaw puzzle is the reason why.

As for magnetism: I'm not attracted to the subject. 😊

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
15 Feb 20

@WOLFE63
I really liked my first girlfriend. She had a magnetic personality.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Feb 20

@bunnyknight
That's why you stuck to her?