1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 13:153 edits
    @metal-brain said
    I never claimed I understand it.
    So would that mean I don't understand it? That is what you meant, right? Because you are so much smarter than everyone else.
    I do understand it in the narrow sense I understand the laws and some of the equations that describe its behaviour.
    As for 'why', if there is a 'why' here as opposed to a brute fact, those laws are so and not different from what they are; That part I don't know. But neither do you. In fact, unlike me, you don't even understand the said laws.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 15:213 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Explain it as simply as possible.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
    -Albert Einstein
    I'm still too freaked out over gravity to worry about magnetism. Gravity: something without particles and any material substance but somehow has a grid and warps things and time, and you can surf waves on it, blah, blah, blah, freak'en blah!!

My guess is magnetism and gravity are cahoots though
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 15:48
    @whodey said
    I'm still too freaked out over gravity to worry about magnetism. Gravity: something without particles and any material substance but somehow has a grid and warps things and time, and you can surf waves on it, blah, blah, blah, freak'en blah!!

My guess is magnetism and gravity are cahoots though
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza-Klein_theory
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 00:17
    @humy said
    So would that mean I don't understand it? That is what you meant, right? Because you are so much smarter than everyone else.
    I do understand it in the narrow sense I understand the laws and some of the equations that describe its behaviour.
    As for 'why', if there is a 'why' here as opposed to a brute fact, those laws are so and not different from what they are; That part I don't know. But neither do you. In fact, unlike me, you don't even understand the said laws.
    I admit when I don't know something, it is often the most intelligent answer. I don't let my ego get in the way of reality.

The fact is nobody understands what causes magnetism. Electron spin is a popular theory, but that is all it is. You should learn the difference between fact and theory. None of you even understands what angular momentum is. You all just pointed to wikipedia like everybody does when they don't understand it themselves.....or they copy and paste from wikipedia as if that shows intelligence and people should be impressed.

You are all so transparent. None of you are intelligent enough to say you don't know. Either that or you are all consumed by your own egos or plagued by insecurities. Maybe both.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 06:04
    @Metal-Brain
    So tell us o physics maven, what is magnetism?
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 18:17
    @sonhouse
    My scientific and professional conclusion: Magnetism is a mysterious, invisible quasi-magical force-like thing that can push and pull some types of stuff without touching it.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 18:52
    @bunnyknight

And it boils down to lines of force streaming out of the magnet.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 19:00
    @humy said
    What's your point?
    There's a point!?
  9. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 19:58
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight

And it boils down to lines of force streaming out of the magnet.
    Or they could be lines of persuasion, sort of like me persuading you to come closer, or to run away.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '20 05:53
    @bunnyknight
    Yep, sort of the psychology of magnetics.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 02:32
    What do Iron, cobalt and nickle atoms have in common that would allow them to become permanent magnets?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/valence
  12. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '20 22:02
    @kazetnagorra said
    Electric charges cause magnetism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 02:05
    What do Iron, cobalt and nickle atoms have in common that would allow them to become permanent magnets?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 07:22
    @Metal-Brain
    Let's see. I think they are called ELECTRONS. Of course I could be wrong...….
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 01:06
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Let's see. I think they are called ELECTRONS. Of course I could be wrong...….
    You have NOT answered the question. What do electrons have to do with it? Pretending to know what you are talking about is futile. We all know you have not answered my questions. Stop insulting our intelligence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree