@sonhouse
    I was definitely attracted to her.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 22:53
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Two things. One, every atom has a magnetic field, tiny as it may be.
    If they are all jumbled up they add up to zilch.

If you can get all those tiny magnets to line up then you have a useable external field made up by all those tiny ones acting in accord.

The second one comes from moving electrical currents in a conductor.
    If you have an electrical curre ...[text shortened]... or.

Not sure how I can make it simpler than that. Anyone else willing to try, knock yourself out.
    "every atom has a magnetic field"

Why? What is a field?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 23:11
    @metal-brain said
    "every atom has a magnetic field"

Why? What is a field?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(physics)
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 01:56
    @kazetnagorra said
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(physics)
    Just tell us you do not know.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 06:27
    @Metal-Brain
    I bet you have a LOT to say on that subject.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 15:18
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I bet you have a LOT to say on that subject.
    Not all elements can be used to create permanent magnets. Just Iron, nickle and cobalt.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 16:26
    @Metal-Brain
    The truth is every element has some magnetic moment, some small some large. You can attract OXYGEN molecules to a magnet if the field is strong enough.
    Frogs have been levitated in high magnetic fields.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 18:20
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    The truth is every element has some magnetic moment, some small some large. You can attract OXYGEN molecules to a magnet if the field is strong enough.
    Frogs have been levitated in high magnetic fields.
    You cannot make a permanent magnet out of any element or even every metal element. Why is Iron, nickle and cobalt the only elements that can be used to create permanent magnets?
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 18:463 edits
    @metal-brain said
    You cannot make a permanent magnet out of any element or even every metal element. Why is Iron, nickle and cobalt the only elements that can be used to create permanent magnets?
    Why is Iron, nickle and cobalt the only elements that can be used to create permanent magnets?

This is simply false. Although not all elements can be used to make a permanent magnet, more than 3 of them can. And the only reason why those certain other elements other than Iron, nickle and cobalt aren't used is because of a combination of;

1, much greater cost of manufacture.

2, much weaker magnetic field generated (i.e. they make very weak magnets).

But, despite the above, it still can be done. It just isn't currently very practical, that's all.

For example, certain forms of polymerized C60, which ONLY consists of carbon atoms, are permanent magnets. Proof;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene
    "...Under high pressure and temperature, repeated [2+2] cycloaddition between C60 results in a polymerized fullerene chains and networks.
    These polymers remain stable at ambient pressure and temperature once formed, and have remarkably interesting electronic and magnetic properties, such as being ferromagnetic above room temperature..."

and before you ask what that "ferromagnetic" means, in plain English it means permanent magnet;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism
    "...Ferromagnetism is the basic mechanism by which certain materials (such as iron) form permanent magnets"
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 00:49
    @humy said
    Why is Iron, nickle and cobalt the only elements that can be used to create permanent magnets?

This is simply false. Although not all elements can be used to make a permanent magnet, more than 3 of them can. And the only reason why those certain other elements other than Iron, nickle and cobalt aren't used is because of a combination of;

1, much greater cost ...[text shortened]... romagnetism is the basic mechanism by which certain materials (such as iron) form permanent magnets"
    Even if you add 1 to 4 you still have a limited mount of elements. Why?
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 07:16
    @metal-brain said
    Even if you add 1 to 4 you still have a limited mount of elements. Why?
    Why not?
    Why not, just like I previously asserted, have only some and not all of the elements that can help make a permanent magnet?
    What's your point?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 08:42
    @humy said
    Why not?
    Why not, just like I previously asserted, have only some and not all of the elements that can help make a permanent magnet?
    What's your point?
    So you are incapable of explaining why. You do not understand what causes magnetism.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 10:59
    @metal-brain said
    You do not understand what causes magnetism.
    Explain your understanding of what causes magnetism...
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 12:57
    @humy said
    Explain your understanding of what causes magnetism...
    I never claimed I understand it. Why do you think I created this thread? Look at the title of this thread. Notice the question mark.

Nobody is forcing you to pretend you know the answers to things you don't. Why do you bother?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 13:01
    @bunnyknight said
    @sonhouse
    My gut feeling is that nobody, not a single scientist on Earth, really knows what magnetism really is. It's just as mysterious as dark matter or dark energy.
    I agree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree