1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 04:29
    @metal-brain said
    Explain it as simply as possible.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
    -Albert Einstein
    YouTube : NDTyson Cause Gravity
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 07:321 edit
    @metal-brain said
    What do electrons have to do with it?
    Without them the magnets wouldn't work and for more reason than merely the electrons helping to keep the atoms of the magnet attached to each other.
    We will not baby sit you and explain the details of how so when any non-moron can just look them up and read it for themselves.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 07:41
    @Metal-Brain
    Jesus you are completely daft. Electrons are the CORE of magnetism. Try making magnets out of either protons or neutrons you fukking idiot.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 09:18
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Jesus you are completely daft. Electrons are the CORE of magnetism. Try making magnets out of either protons or neutrons you fukking idiot.
    I didn't say they had nothing to do with it you moron. I asked you to be more specific. Do I have to spell everything out for you so you don't assume?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Mar '20 18:09
    @Metal-Brain
    We don't have to since you clearly already know all about it and are just trying to make fools of us.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 13:56
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    We don't have to since you clearly already know all about it and are just trying to make fools of us.
    All you needed to do was use the Schwarzschild equation. This is yet another digression.

Why are permanent magnets limited to Iron, Cobalt and Nickle? What about their electrons make them suitable for permanent magnets while other metals are not?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 14:051 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    They have electrons that easily line up to contribute their individual magnetic moments to the whole.
    But everything has some small magnetic field, for instance, brain waves can be monitored by magnetic field readings as well as electrodes attached to the skull.

And frogs have been floated in mid-air by a high gauss magnetic field.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/1997/04/floating-frogs
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 14:10
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    They have electrons that easily line up to contribute their individual magnetic moments to the whole.
    But everything has some small magnetic field, for instance, brain waves can be monitored by magnetic field readings as well as electrodes attached to the skull.

And frogs have been floated in mid-air by a high gauss magnetic field.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/1997/04/floating-frogs
    That doesn't explain the big difference in the magnetic field. Why are Iron, Cobalt and Nickle so strong while others are very weak?
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 15:4513 edits
    @metal-brain said
    That doesn't explain the big difference in the magnetic field. Why are Iron, Cobalt and Nickle so strong while others are very weak?
    Why don't you just say YOUR theory on why?
    Of course, the FAR more intelligent and rational thing to do is to just do what I and most of us here do which is NOT come up with your own layperson theory that ignores whatever the science says but RATHER just look up what the science says and assume that to be probably correct by default unless you have a VERY good specific reason to think the contrary, which is EXTREMELY unlikely if you are a non-expert but just moderately unlikely even if you are an expert in the relevant subject.
    So why don't you do that here instead?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 16:18
    @humy said
    Why don't you just say YOUR theory on why?
    Of course, the FAR more intelligent and rational thing to do is to just do what I and most of us here do which is NOT come up with your own layperson theory that ignores whatever the science says but RATHER just look up what the science says and assume that to be probably correct by default unless you have a VERY good specific reason t ...[text shortened]... unlikely even if you are an expert in the relevant subject.
    So why don't you do that here instead?
    What does the science say? You have not even explained that.

Why Iron, Cobalt and Nickle? What makes them magnetically strong enough to create permanent magnets?
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 17:572 edits
    @metal-brain said
    What does the science say? You have not even explained that.
    Why not just look it up yourself?
    We won't babysit you.
    Why ask me?
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 19:17
    @metal-brain said
    It's not so much that they are strong, it's that they are ferromagnetic and retain their magnetism. Other materials which are magnetizable but lose their magnetization when an external field is removed are called paramagnetic. However, most materials will actively oppose an external magnetic field, they are called diamagnetic.

I don't understand ferromagnetism particularly well, it's not my field, somehow the lowest energy state is the one where the valence electrons of neighbouring atoms have spins which are aligned. It's something to do with them being transition metals.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '20 23:47
    @deepthought said
    It's not so much that they are strong, it's that they are ferromagnetic and retain their magnetism. Other materials which are magnetizable but lose their magnetization when an external field is removed are called paramagnetic. However, most materials will actively oppose an external magnetic field, they are called diamagnetic.

I don't understand ferromagnetism partic ...[text shortened]... bouring atoms have spins which are aligned. It's something to do with them being transition metals.
    From the link below:

"There is ample evidence that some atoms or ions have a permanent magnetic moment that may be pictured as a dipole consisting of a positive, or north, pole separated from a negative, or south, pole."

https://www.britannica.com/science/ferromagnetism

If a magnetic moment is permanent why is it still called a moment?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 Mar '20 01:152 edits
    @metal-brain said
    From the link below:

"There is ample evidence that some atoms or ions have a permanent magnetic moment that may be pictured as a dipole consisting of a positive, or north, pole separated from a negative, or south, pole."

Try taking Physics 101
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Mar '20 08:56
    @metal-brain said
    From the link below:

The word has three meanings. The first is a moment in time. The second is importance, something of great moment is something of great importance. The meaning in physics is derived from the second sense of moment.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/moment

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree