1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 12:07
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    At ~93M miles away, what is the degree of angle the sun's light would hit the earth?
    An angle is defined by 3 points.
    ABC
    then you can ask what the angle is at B

What are you asking?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 13:29
    What do you mean by measuring the arc of the sun?
    The angle it subtends on the sky from the perspective of the earth.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 13:55
    Originally posted by humy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_path

you must be pretty ignorant.
    Goodness.
    If I'm ignorant, what does that render you, unable as you are to conceptualize the question?
    This doesn't have a single thing to do with the sun's apparent position in the sky or its trajectory.
    It asks what the lines of its light would follow, given its distance from the earth.
    Those lines should be uniformly straight, yes?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 14:552 edits
    At ~93M miles away, what is the degree of angle the sun's light would hit the earth?
    Relative to a line connecting their centers it works out to be 0.0048 degrees variation arcross the entire (or nearly entire) hemisphere that is illuminated. Which is effectively 0 deg, or in other words all incident light is basically parallel from the sun.

Calculation:
    R = radius of earth = 3959 mi
    D = distance from earth to sun = 93,000,000 mi

Angle = 2*asin( R/D ) = 2*asin(3,959/93,000,000) = 0.0048 deg
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:084 edits

This doesn't have a single thing to do with the sun's apparent position in the sky or its trajectory.

WRONG, it IS just that;

"...day arc, refers to the daily and seasonal arc-like path that the Sun appears to follow across the sky as the Earth rotates and orbits the Sun. ..."

It asks what the lines of its light would follow, given its distance from the earth.

No it doesn't;

1, day ark doesn't ask questions.

2, the term 'day ark' doesn't refer to the changing directions of the Sun's rays but rather the ark-like changing direction of the appearance of the Sun in the sky; that direction is exactly in the OPPOSITE direction to that of the Sun's rays because Sun's rays travel AWAY from the Sun, not towards it.
    It refers to this;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_path#/media/File😕olargraph_from_Sashegy_-_Budapest,_2014.01.01_-_2014.12.31_(1).jpg

3, the Sun's distance from the Earth has little to do with it because it is not what determines the basic geometry of the day ark although that distance does effect the length of the Earth year;

"...Sun paths at any latitude and any time of the year can be determined from basic geometry.[4] The Earth's axis of rotation tilts about 23.5 degrees, relative to the plane of Earth's orbit around the Sun. ..."

-it is that that is the main thing that effects the basic day ark geometry.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:20
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Which is effectively 0 deg, or in other words all incident light is basically parallel from the sun.
    That all depends on why you are measuring it. It ISN'T zero degrees and they are NOT parallel. They are just very close to those such that for SOME situations the discrepancy can be ignored. But if you wanted to measure the distance to the sun, that discrepancy is sufficient to make parallax measurements. In fact parallax across earth can be used to measure the distance to nearby stars.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:22
    WRONG, it IS just that;

"...day arc, refers to the daily and seasonal arc-like path that the Sun appears to follow across the sky as the Earth rotates and orbits the Sun. ...".
    Except for the fact that I didn't say 'day arc'.
    Arc just means 'angle' and context matters.

The OP and Feakys subsequent posts are far from clear about what he wants to know.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:304 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Except for the fact that I didn't say 'day arc'.

my apologies; I misread.

The OP and Feakys subsequent posts are far from clear about what he wants to know.

I sure noticed that. Perhaps he doesn't know what he wants to know. Or perhaps he doesn't want to know anything at all. In whichever case, for whatever reason, he is so vague as to make it apparently impossible to determine what, if anything, he wants to know.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:511 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That all depends on why you are measuring it. It ISN'T zero degrees and they are NOT parallel. They are just very close to those such that for SOME situations the discrepancy can be ignored. But if you wanted to measure the distance to the sun, that discrepancy is sufficient to make parallax measurements. In fact parallax across earth can be used to measure the distance to nearby stars.
    I didn't feel the need to explain that 0.0048... is not 0.00... As far as I can see, he asked for the sunlights angle of incidence on Earth. I said it varies over an small ( non zero ) range across the hemisphere, nothing more nothing less. If he misunderstands that is his problem, not mine.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:54
    my apologies; I misread.

I sure noticed that. Perhaps he doesn't know what he wants to know. Or perhaps he doesn't want to know anything at all. In whichever case, for whatever reason, he is so vague as to make it apparently impossible to determine what, if anything, he wants to know.
    It's pretty simple.
    The sun's distance from the earth require the light emanating from it to evenly hit the earth, tilt and curvature notwithstanding.
    None of its light would be angled one direction or another, but rather, straight parallel lines.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:541 edit
    Perhaps he doesn't know what he wants to know. Or perhaps he doesn't want to know anything at all.
    As is usually the case with Freaky, he watched a YouTube video, didn't understand it, but thought it said 'all round-earthers proved wrong!', so he ran over here hoping to challenge us with some mind blowing knowledge, but, given that he didn't understand it, is now fumbling to ask the right question.
    He will continue for another few pages to hint at possessing some secret knowledge and 'got ya' moment, but never actually get there.

Not unlike the famous eclipses thread from a similar poster.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:55
    WRONG, it IS just that;

"...day arc, refers to the daily and seasonal arc-like path that the Sun appears to follow across the sky as the Earth rotates and orbits the Sun. ..."

It asks what the lines of its light would follow, given its [b]distance from the earth.

No it doesn't;

1, day ark d ...[text shortened]... nd the Sun. ..."

-it is that that is the main thing that effects the basic day ark geometry.[/b]
    You are seriously confused.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 17:161 edit
    It's pretty simple.
    The sun's distance from the earth require the light emanating from it to evenly hit the earth, tilt and curvature notwithstanding
    Clearly false.
    How do you explain how at any given moment of time it can clearly be observed to be night at one part of the world and day at another part of the world?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 17:56
    I'm zeroing in on the angle the light hits the surface from the sun, as a result of their distance from each other.
    It makes sense to me that the light ought to be directly parallel.
    Depends on where it hits the Earth. Distance is irrelevant.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 18:202 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Depends on where it hits the Earth. Distance is irrelevant.
    I calculated the angle Earth would substend from the sun, about 18 arc seconds. I should have done it from the sun. Which Joe already did, it comes out about 6200 arc seconds.
    My method, with Earth as center, and a 584 million mile circle, the sun as about 880,000 miles diameter so one part in 623 or so, about half a degree wide from Earth's perspective.
    Light from one side of the sun is a half degree off from the other side of the sun.
    For whatever that is worth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree