1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 20:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I should have done it from the sun.
    What you should have done depends on what the question is. So far, Freaky has been unable to clearly articulate it.
    It would appear that he believes that light rays emanating from the sun would be as good as parallel to each other regardless of where on earth we are talking about. But the way he asked the question was the problem because the opposite of 'parallel' is NOT 'a specific angle'. His question suggests that light rays from an object like the sun have an in built 'angle' between the rays, which is obviously NOT the case. The angle between lines from a point depends on two things, the distance from the point and the distance between the lines.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    None of its light would be angled one direction or another, but rather, straight parallel lines.
    Two straight lines coming from a single point can never be parallel, (by definition) regardless of distance assuming Euclidean geometry. If we are going with Einstein and curved space, then its a lot more complicated, but again, the chances of the light being parallel at exactly earth is pretty slim.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 20:57
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The angle could not be different, no matter where on the globe you are standing, simply because of the distance.
    I cannot imagine why someone would believe that the Earth is flat, I just cannot!
    For fun? As a provocation? Or sheer ignorance?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 21:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I cannot imagine why someone would believe that the Earth is flat, I just cannot!
    Mental illness can lead to delusional beliefs.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 21:12
    Because the Bible implies that it is
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 21:14
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Mental illness can lead to delusional beliefs.
    The next question is: Why are people so involved with his questions? Why is it so important to teach him how it really is? Why give him so much attention? Isn't it just a waste of time?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 22:07
    The next question is: Why are people so involved with his questions? Why is it so important to teach him how it really is? Why give him so much attention? Isn't it just a waste of time?
    Most of us come here to waste time.
    If you have any more interesting topics, i am all ears.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 22:281 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Two straight lines coming from a single point can never be parallel, (by definition) regardless of distance assuming Euclidean geometry. If we are going with Einstein and curved space, then its a lot more complicated, but again, the chances of the light being parallel at exactly earth is pretty slim.
    The main question here is why would F assume light from the sun would be parallel from left hand side of sun to right? As if the light came from a bunch of extremely focused lasers where the light from the left side is exactly parallel to the right side. Which of course is totally wrong, the light goes out radially as if coming from the center of the sun.

What kind of thinking could ever lead to that conclusion?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 08:34
    What kind of thinking could ever lead to that conclusion?
    A lack of thinking.
    He saw something on YouTube that said that if the sun were very far away then the light should all be parrallel, therefore the earth is flat. He ran over here, wanting to show off this profound knowledge, but couldn't say outright 'the light should be parallel', so he reversed it and asked a question whose correct answer he thought would be 'the light is parallel'. But he didn't think it through and ended up asking a nonsensical question.

It is true that light from a point source on the sun, would be very nearly parallel when it gets to earth. But it wont be exactly parallel. And the reality is that atmospheric effects both in the suns atmosphere and on earth, plus the curvature of space are such that they overwhelm any such parallelness anyway.

Further, as you point out, the apparent width of the sun on the sky means that we aren't looking at a point source anyway. Using a pinhole camera it is actually quite trivial to measure the angle between rays from opposite sides of the sun, and it is not an insignificant angle. In fact a pinhole camera is good enough to see sunspots quite clearly, so even sunspots have a measurable angle across the light from opposite sides.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:35
    Most of us come here to waste time.
    If you have any more interesting topics, i am all ears.
    I'm here to learn. There are plenty better things to do if I just want to waste time.

Why are people so eager to prove to him that our planet is round and every other things that he believes in? Do anyone really that he will ever come to his senses?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 09:54
    I'm here to learn. There are plenty better things to do if I just want to waste time.
    Yet you are reading this thread.

Why are people so eager to prove to him that our planet is round and every other things that he believes in? Do anyone really that he will ever come to his senses?
    I certainly don't expect that. But there are still things that come up in such thread that all may learn from.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 10:04
    What you should have done depends on what the question is. So far, Freaky has been unable to clearly articulate it.
    It would appear that he believes that light rays emanating from the sun would be as good as parallel to each other regardless of where on earth we are talking about. But the way he asked the question was the problem because the opposite of ...[text shortened]... m a point depends on two things, the distance from the point and the distance between the lines.
    Basic geometry would show him he is wrong but that would be the last thing on his agenda to actually prove himself wrong. He would rather wallow in bad science than learn anything contradictory to his agenda. You draw a line representing the center line connecting Earth to Sol and then from Sol draw a second line to the edge of Earth and it would be immediately apparent the line is not parallel to the center line.

How can anyone be so stupid as to think it would somehow be parallel? I think the answer is they are using cynical science knowing full well they are full of shyte just to attract people who have no math ability or training so they can support their own cynical agenda.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 10:22
    I think the answer is they are using cynical science knowing full well they are full of shyte just to attract people who have no math ability or training so they can support their own cynical agenda.
    Who is 'they'?
    So far we only have Freaky and his rather badly possed question and incorrect assertion.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 10:32
    Who is 'they'?
    So far we only have Freaky and his rather badly possed question and incorrect assertion.
    He gets NOTHING by himself. Literally. He always finds crap online to latch on to. Then proceeds to use it with zero critical thinking. I guess he thinks since he finds something online that supports his worthless cause it MUST be valid.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Because the Bible implies that it is
    The Bible isn't definitive one way or another.
    In the scheme of things, it clearly isn't nearly as important as other aspects of life.
    In fact, it has nearly zero impact on 99.999% of the world's population, one way or another.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree