1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Who is 'they'?
    So far we only have Freaky and his rather badly possed question and incorrect assertion.
    From what I can tell, there's been but one assertion: I'm talking about light beams hitting the planet and what that angle necessarily must be, whilst others are stuck on the angle of light based on the sun's position in the earth's sky.
    That's a pretty big difference, no matter what you believe.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:25
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    From what I can tell, there's been but one assertion:
    Agreed. And it was a false one.

That's a pretty big difference, no matter what you believe.
    Of course. But you got a whole range of answers because your original question was poorly phrased and people just guessed at what you meant.

I'm talking about light beams hitting the planet and what that angle necessarily must be,
    An angle is formed between two lines. You are talking about the line a given light beam makes and what other line? Your sentence above suggests the other line is the surface of the planet, but your earlier statements about parallel light beams suggest you mean the angle between two light beams. The real problem in this thread is that you have utterly failed to express your point (if you actually have one) in language that anyone else can understand.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:36
    I'm talking about light beams hitting the planet and what that angle necessarily must be,
    To help me understand your question, answer this question:
    If I have a light bulb 1m away from a wall, what angle must the light beams hitting the wall be?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 14:10
    Agreed. And it was a false one.

[b]That's a pretty big difference, no matter what you believe.

Of course. But you got a whole range of answers because your original question was poorly phrased and people just guessed at what you meant.

An angle i ...[text shortened]... ed to express your point (if you actually have one) in language that anyone else can understand.[/b]
    I'm not sure it can be dumbed down any further than the OP, honestly.
    There are but two points: sun, earth.
    Distance between two points results in varying angles of straight lines between them.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 14:39
    Nobody has asked you to dumb it down. You have been asked to undumb it ie clarify what it is you are asking.

Neither is a point.

Distance between two points results in varying angles of straight lines between them.
    There can only be one straight line between two points (by definition). Hence there cannot be angles between such lines.

Now try and answer my light and wall question and it might just dawn on you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 14:42
    Answer to Twhitehead if you can't answer me, the sun and Earth are not points You can connect a line between closest distances, where they would touch if brought together, and from that point you will see there is an angle of you draw a line from the center point of either to the opposite, center of Sol to edge of Earth is a different angle than the zero degree line connecting closest points.

You would agree I hope that at an angle of 90 degrees away from that center line on the sun side the light there would be mostly going at 90 degrees and would have to have mirrors to force the light at the edges to hit Earth parallel to the light on the line connecting the two closest points. Bottom line is whoever thought the light would be parallel is full of poop.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 14:543 edits

1, they aren't points but roughly spherical thus are both 3D (3-dimensional) objects.

2, how can you believe the Earth is BOTH flat AND just a point? -that makes no sense. "flat" implies 2D; a point is 1D.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 14:58
    Nobody has asked you to dumb it down. You have been asked to undumb it ie clarify what it is you are asking.

[b]There are but two points: sun, earth.

Neither is a point.

There can only be one straight line between two points (by definition). Hence ther ...[text shortened]... ween such lines.

Now try and answer my light and wall question and it might just dawn on you.[/b]
    Oh, dear.
    I'm afraid I haven't made it as simple as you apparently need it.
    I apologize.

The sum is--- by all or most accounts--- a ball.
    The light from said ball will necessarily follow its shape and be sent forth in ALL directions.
    The closer the the POINTS are to each other, i.e., the sun and the earth, the more varied will be the beams--- and thus the angles--- between the two.
    After more and more distance, those angles from the ball will become less varied until it--- all of the light beams from the source hitting the second point--- are reduced to one angle, and one angle only.
    For proof, consider any star other than the sun.
    ALL of its light is but one beam.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 15:021 edit

.[/b]
    correct.

The closer the the POINTS are to each other, i.e., the sun and the earth,

wrong; they are ball-shaped, not points.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 15:20
    Oh, dear.
    I'm afraid I haven't made it as simple as you apparently need it.
    I apologize.
    Or rather you haven't yet realised why your question doesn't make any sense.

I take it you mean the sun.
    Its a very big sphere. So big we can easily distinguish between different parts of it.

The light from said ball will necessarily follow its shape and be sent forth in ALL directions. The closer the the POINTS are to each other, i.e., the sun and the earth, the more varied will be the beams--- and thus the angles--- between the two.
    Except for the fact that neither the sun nor the earth are points, and if they were, then no more than ONE beam could go from one to the other.

After more and more distance, those angles from the ball will become less varied until it--- all of the light beams from the source hitting the second point--- are reduced to one angle, and one angle only.
    Obviously false.

For proof, consider any star other than the sun.

No, it is not.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 15:39
    Or rather you haven't yet realised why your question doesn't make any sense.

[b]The sum is--- by all or most accounts--- a ball.

I take it you mean the sun.
    Its a very big sphere. So big we can easily distinguish between different parts of it.

The light from said ball will necessarily follow its shape and be sent forth in ALL directions. Th ...[text shortened]... of, consider any star other than the sun.

No, it is not.[/b]
    Essentially, the distance reduces the rays into one angle.
    One angle from the stars, one angle from the sun.
    Model it: when the points are close, the light is angled.
    When the points have distance, angles disappear and they all come in one direction.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 16:19
    Essentially, the distance reduces the rays into one angle.
    No, it doesn't.

One angle from the stars, one angle from the sun.
    Not true in either case.

When the points have distance, angles disappear and they all come in one direction.

No, they just become very small angles. They don't disappear.
    In the case of the sun, it is trivial to set up a pinhole camera and measure the largest angles for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_diameter

As you can see from that page, even the nearest stars have a measurable angular width on the sky.
    For more distant stars the angular difference between light rays is not measurable, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 16:42
    Yet you are reading this thread.
    Who says I am? I just skim to see if there is anything to learn. More often than not I don't, neither from you nor Mr Freak.

Two people exchange meaningless comments, just to waste time, getting hours nearer to their respective deaths. Well, who wins? Neither.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 17:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Who says I am? I just skim to see if there is anything to learn. More often than not I don't, neither from you nor Mr Freak.

Two people exchange meaningless comments, just to waste time, getting hours nearer to their respective deaths. Well, who wins? Neither.
    And this comment of yours is meaningful and has something to learn from it?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 17:03
    No, it doesn't.

[b]One angle from the stars, one angle from the sun.

Not true in either case.

No, they just become very small angles. They don't disappear.
    In the case of the sun, it is trivial ...[text shortened]... e angular difference between light rays is not measurable, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.[/b]
    And that link has literally nothing to support your argument.
    Modeling it proves mine emphatically.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree