1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 21:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What area of physics are you into? Student? My son-in-law Gandhi, has a phd in statistical physics, used to be called biophysics. I am just a photonics technician, still pretty high tech stuff, 21st century physics for sure. What music are you into? Are you aware of the round three of the music contest here at RHP? If you want to hear some music you would n ...[text shortened]... Gregflats is also a pro musician in Philly, there are some real musicians there. Check them out!
    Statistical physics did not used to be called biophysics. They are different subtopics of physics.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 01:531 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Statistical physics did not used to be called biophysics. They are different subtopics of physics.
    I got that from Gandhi, who has a phd in statistical physics and he is the one who told me it used to be called biophysics. I would think he would know, being in the field.
    I looked the terms up online and they do seem to be different fields, but his first published paper was on the flight characteristics of hunting of an ocean bird, maybe the Albatross, don't remember now, it was about ten years ago, but he showed the hunting pattern followed some mathematical model discovered decades before. So he was using cross-disciplinary resources for that paper.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 04:44
    Science would have to trump the arts. I can live without sculpture, paintings, fictional literature--but not antibiotics, air-conditioning, internal combustion engines, etc.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 05:01
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Science would have to trump the arts. I can live without sculpture, paintings, fictional literature--but not antibiotics, air-conditioning, internal combustion engines, etc.
    Of course those exact things you mentioned are what is killing the planet, or making it a lot harder for humans to live on it.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 05:311 edit
    I got that from Gandhi, who has a phd in statistical physics and he is the one who told me it used to be called biophysics. I would think he would know, being in the field.
    I looked the terms up online and they do seem to be different fields, but his first published paper was on the flight characteristics of hunting of an ocean bird, maybe the Albatross, d l model discovered decades before. So he was using cross-disciplinary resources for that paper.
    Dude...how old are you? Mahatma Gandhi died 60 years ago.

You must be talking about somebody else. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any scientists named Gandhi.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 05:37
    Of course those exact things you mentioned are what is killing the planet, or making it a lot harder for humans to live on it.
    No...those are the things that enabled us to proliferate to the population we have now.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 06:24
    What area of physics are you into? Student? My son-in-law Gandhi, has a phd in statistical physics, used to be called biophysics. I am just a photonics technician, still pretty high tech stuff, 21st century physics for sure. What music are you into? Are you aware of the round three of the music contest here at RHP? If you want to hear some music you would n ...[text shortened]... Gregflats is also a pro musician in Philly, there are some real musicians there. Check them out!
    Currently finishing my high school (one year left) and after that it's university time. Not sure on the excact are but theoretical physics are currently my no1 choice. Atlhough I'll probably end up studying something else as theoretical physics doesn't exactly roll in a lot of dough. And yeah I'm aware of the music contest, some amazing pieces of work there. And greg is my clan leader so 😛 But admittedly there are quite a bit of amazing musicians who play chess although most of the ones I know aren't very good at it. Maybe playing their instrument consumes too much time for them to study chess or something.

I'm mostly a jazz fan - more so of the modal jazz stuff from Davis and others. I've been playing jazz (on bass) for a few years now in an instrumental quartet and it has pretty much restored my passion for music. I used to play metal stuff from when I was 12 to when I was 15 but got bored of it and stopped playing for a half a year as I felt that music had no challenges left. That's when the local school for music started a band workshop and I started playing bass there. Been playing with the same guys since then, we've done a few birthday party gigs and the usual stuff and it's certainly fun. ATM we're trying to get chromazone by Mike Stern and YYZ from Rush into our repertoire - damn the bass lines in YYZ are tough to play excactly right.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 07:10
    Dude...how old are you? Mahatma Gandhi died 60 years ago.

You must be talking about somebody else. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any scientists named Gandhi.
    His name is Gandhi Vishvanathan, from Tamil Nadu in the south of India, his parents emigrated to Brazil (of all places!) and live in Maceio, that's where Northern Brazil sticks out into the Atlantic ocean, the pointy part.
    My daughter Heather is the head of the music department there and he teaches physics and does his research there also.
    They are both published in Nature magazine.
    I am a genuine old fart, 66 yo.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 18:34
    His name is Gandhi Vishvanathan, from Tamil Nadu in the south of India, his parents emigrated to Brazil (of all places!) and live in Maceio, that's where Northern Brazil sticks out into the Atlantic ocean, the pointy part.
    My daughter Heather is the head of the music department there and he teaches physics and does his research there also.
    They are both published in Nature magazine.
    I am a genuine old fart, 66 yo.
    IDC how old you are actually. I was just surprised by the way you threw out the name "Gandhi" like I would recognize it. It implies Mahatma to me. So you meant someone else, ok.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 18:371 edit
    Originally posted by Scyhte
    Currently finishing my high school (one year left) and after that it's university time. Not sure on the excact are but theoretical physics are currently my no1 choice. Atlhough I'll probably end up studying something else as theoretical physics doesn't exactly roll in a lot of dough. And yeah I'm aware of the music contest, some amazing pieces of work there. sh into our repertoire - damn the bass lines in YYZ are tough to play excactly right.
    Atlhough I'll probably end up studying something else as theoretical physics doesn't exactly roll in a lot of dough.

Physics is great for money. The theoretical part won't help, but there is a great need for physical scientists in the world...at least in California there is.

My evidence - HUGE demand for science teachers (teaching kids that is), especially physical science teachers. I've been hired to lessen drop rates in high school level chemistry in city college. Chemistry grad school pays YOU, instead of you paying it. I've recieved grant checks in the mail for my grades and major. Then there's the crossover to engineering sort of work..

Now, if you actually want to do research, I don't know how the opportunities for that are...actually in universities there do seem to be such options.

Physics is not bad for money.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 18:47
    What I doubt they had were full time artists. I know several full time artists myself.

Bonobos, when supplied food and art supplies, become artists. Did you know that?

http://www.greatapetrust.org/media/releases/2007/nr_55a07.php

EDIT - I suppose using your fingernail to draw a nose in the dirt can be considered art, but you get MORE art with science. LOTS more.
    Shamen were full-time artists: music, poetry, medicine, dance, painting, a little sculpture on the side.

Are your friends any good? I know a bunch of artists too. I try not to let their work influence how I relate to them.

Yes, I knew that. What do you make of it?

Your final point -- so what? You also get more plastic crap. Who cares?

What art do you personally care about?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 18:491 edit
    [b] Atlhough I'll probably end up studying something else as theoretical physics doesn't exactly roll in a lot of dough.

Physics is great for money. The theoretical part won't help, but there is a great need for physical scientists in the world...at least in California there is.

My evidence - HUGE demand for science teachers (teaching kids ally in universities there do seem to be such options.

Physics is not bad for money.[/b]
    I referred to what we here in Finland know as theoretical physics - that is only the string theory and quantum physics stuff that has no practical applications (yet). Physics sure is good, for example material physics pay quite well here thanks to Nokia, so I will study physics but not theoretical physics. Dunno about the systems outside Finland so I may be using some wrong term here but anyways. And btw education is free here so you won't be paying for studying anyway 😛

And on the engineering stuff: that's the second choice - engineer of technical physics is what we call the curriculum here.

Damn this is off topic 😀
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 20:05
    Horse hockey. Those things make the planet EASIER for me to live on this ol' rock. So speak for yourself, not for all "humans".
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 01:531 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Horse hockey. Those things make the planet EASIER for me to live on this ol' rock. So speak for yourself, not for all "humans".
    Sure, for now, no argument. I'm talking about the hangover when the 21st century is over, if the oceans rise even a few feet, I would sell any property in Burmuda or Miami. If we are lucky, we can figure out ways to slow down or reverse the CO2 being injected into the atmosphere. If not, we already see the melting of glaciers which have been around for thousands of years.
    The problem with all that is we may not be able to grow enough food to feed the worlds population at that point which by the end of the century will be 10 or 12 billion. Something will have to give and I don't think its going to be the planet.
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 16:21
    Sure, for now, no argument. I'm talking about the hangover when the 21st century is over, if the oceans rise even a few feet, I would sell any property in Burmuda or Miami. If we are lucky, we can figure out ways to slow down or reverse the CO2 being injected into the atmosphere. If not, we already see the melting of glaciers which have been around for thou ...[text shortened]... e 10 or 12 billion. Something will have to give and I don't think its going to be the planet.
    Your civil tone indicates your skills in tact and courtesy have improved. For now, you are no longer on my "ignore" list.
    The "if" in your comment is the key--I see no evidence at all that says the oceans will rise, fall, or stay the same over the next 100 years. We just don't know. And if we did, I doubt that man, and his puny efforts, could do anything about it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree