1. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 14:54
    What's the current state of the art of thinking on where the Universe itself came from? What was "before" the Big Bang, if such a term has meaning? How much of the current cosmological speculation is testable?

I'm pretty well versed in fluid physics (at least for the atmosphere) and have a light smattering of tensors and general relativity and quantum mechanics, so go easy on me. But I'd like a semi-technical, semi-popular update on the topic.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 15:13
    http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/bot.html
  3. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 15:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/bot.html
    I'm hoping for something a little more technical than that, and about where the Big Bang itself came from. I know there's some conjectures out there, like something about hyperdimensional membranes slapping together or something.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 21:41
    Where did the hyperdimentional membranes come from?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 02:00
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Where did the hyperdimentional membranes come from?
    Let me guess. You want us to conclude they came from g/God.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 02:07
    I just want to know where you think it came from. Can you explain where it all began?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 02:14
    I just want to know where you think it came from. Can you explain where it all began?
    Nobody on earth can explain it so why bother us with such questions?
    I'll bet dimes to donuts you haven't even taken a look at the COVER of the October Scientific American much less the article about the bouncing universe. I dare you to read it, but in my estimation, that has about one chance in a hundred you would actually read it since you have such superior self knowledge you know everything scientific to be false.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 02:31
    Nobody on earth can explain it so why bother us with such questions?

I can explain it. You just won't accept it.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 03:09
    [b]Nobody on earth can explain it so why bother us with such questions?

I can explain it. You just won't accept it.[/b]
    Dogma is not explanation, Dogma is faith. Trust me, my lord knows what he is talking about, just doesn't seem to cut it.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 06:281 edit
    I can explain it. You just won't accept it.
    Can you explain it without any reference to religion, eladar?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 08:27

So far in these forums I have not seen you give any explanation or argument for anything, only negative comments hinting that you have superior wisdom that you do not wish to share due to the fact that you believe we are not ready to accept it.
    I am sorry but I am not that easily fooled. If you have superior wisdom then share it. Until that time I will assume you are simply ignorant and do not wish to show it.
    To prove my point, I hereby challenge you to explain where the hyperdimentional membranes came from.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 08:34
    Originally posted by convect
    What's the current state of the art of thinking on where the Universe itself came from? What was "before" the Big Bang, if such a term has meaning? How much of the current cosmological speculation is testable?
    There are various hypotheses, including:
    1. That there is no before, ie the big bang started from a singularity that was the beginning of time. Note that this does not entirely rule out the possibility of other universes or dimensions but thats another story. In this scenario, "before the Big Bang" has no meaning.
    2. There was no singularity, and the universe had a history going back further than the big bang. One such hypothesis is in the October Scientific American and is called the big bounce. Basically the hypothesis is that there is a limit to how much energy can fit into a given volume of space and when a universe is contracting under gravity, it reaches the limit and bounces back out.

Certainly No 2 is testable, but possibly not with current equipment. The test would be either predictions made about the visible universe, or tests or predictions relating to the underlying concept that space has a maximum energy capacity.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 11:45
    In one Scientific American, don't remember which, they talked about a "Pre Bangian Universe". At that very point in my life, I had to revise my view of Universe. This new piece of the grand puzzle didn't find it's spot, so I had to throw away earlier pieces so the new one could fit in somewhere. I failed.

Until that day I thougt that there really was a first point in time. Now I'm not so sure anymore. String theory didn't help me to understand my new view of the beginning of our Universe, nor did quantum gravitation. So now I know less than before. :'(
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 12:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In one Scientific American, don't remember which, they talked about a "Pre Bangian Universe". At that very point in my life, I had to revise my view of Universe. This new piece of the grand puzzle didn't find it's spot, so I had to throw away earlier pieces so the new one could fit in somewhere. I failed.

Until that day I thougt that there really was a ...[text shortened]... inning of our Universe, nor did quantum gravitation. So now I know less than before. :'(
    Don't you panic; usually the most we learn the most we ignore
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 12:42

Magic man did it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree