1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 20:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    OK, can you estimate how many plutos it would take to fill the sky. Then tell me how many cells in your body. This could get interesting.

Also from Wikipedia:
    "..... a litre of seawater may hold more than 20 000 species."

How many living cells do you think are in a liter of sea water?
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I intentionally started off that post by saying IMO (in my opinion). People instinctively understand probabilities and improbabilities in their everyday life. I wasn't illustrating solid and irrefutable evidence, or fleshing out my message with equations and statistics because frankly I don't need to be doing that. If someone needs to stop before crossing a street to pull out a pad and pencil to calculate distances and apparent speeds of approaching vehicles, so he can know when it is most advantageous to cross the street, then I would suggest to that person he stay home and never go anywhere.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is true that I only had grade school biology, because I was not required to take it in college for a degree in Electrical Engineering. But I am almost certain that I was told there were no male and female plants. Perhaps my memory fails me.

It is said that bisexual reproduction provides a better mechanism to weed out harmful mutations and provide th ...[text shortened]... ity to adapt quickly to a changing environment than does asexual reproduction.

The Instructor
    Except you don't have a 4 year degree in engineering either. Also, you might take the time to read up on sexual reproduction in plants. You ever heard the term stamen and pistil?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stamen

You don't even know plants reproduce sexually and you want to talk to us about evolution? Get real. Get an education first then lets talk.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 22:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Except you don't have a 4 year degree in engineering either. Also, you might take the time to read up on sexual reproduction in plants. You ever heard the term stamen and pistil?

You don't even know plants reproduce sexually and you want to talk to us about evolution? Get real. Get an education first then lets talk.
    I'm not a biologist, but I thought plants had both stamens and pistils. I didn't know there were plants where one has only a stamen and the other only a pistil. If the pollen of one goes to the other but not the other way around, then what compels bees to visit the one with no pollen? Bees go out to collect pollen. They have no interest in visiting plants that have no pollen. Or do the male and female plants both produce pollen?
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 04:23
    In case anyone is wondering, the answer is no... I wasn't seriously asking if some plants have only stamens and others have only pistils. I am however seriously wondering what the average reading/comprehension level is here.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 04:39

So what? Bill Gates also dropped out of college and only got an honory dereee after 32 years as a successful computer businessman. Well, what kind of degree do you have that makes you so smart.

The Instructor
  6. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 05:51
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    People instinctively understand probabilities and improbabilities in their everyday life.
    Actually, people tend to be very poor at judging probabilities.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 05:57
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Only the Evilutionists seem to have problem with it.

The Instructor
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 06:21
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I intentionally started off that post by saying IMO (in my opinion). People instinctively understand probabilities and improbabilities in their everyday life. I wasn't illustrating solid and irrefutable evidence, or fleshing out my message with equations and statistics because frankly I don't need to be doing that ...[text shortened]... to cross the street, then I would suggest to that person he stay home and never go anywhere.
    I am suggesting that you do not have even the most basic idea about the probabilities involved, and that if it was a street you would be wise to not cross. There may be a billion more cars going past than you think.
    You said the probability was in the same ball park as hitting Pluto. I want you to work out what the pall park figure for hitting Pluto is.
    I then want to show that the amount of activity going on in life, is so much greater that Pluto it getting pelted with stray bullets daily.

If there are 20 000 species in a litre of sea water, how many cells do you think there are? How many litres of sea water are there in the sea? Come on, lets have a rough estimate? Even an instinctive one?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 06:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am suggesting that you do not have even the most basic idea about the probabilities involved, and that if it was a street you would be wise to not cross. There may be a billion more cars going past than you think.
    You said the probability was in the same ball park as hitting Pluto. I want you to work out what the pall park figure for hitting Pluto is. ...[text shortened]... of sea water are there in the sea? Come on, lets have a rough estimate? Even an instinctive one?
    You have really took this thread on a wild goose chase. I don't think you have any idea what the OP was about.

The Instructor
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 08:25
    So what? Bill Gates also dropped out of college and only got an honory dereee after 32 years as a successful computer businessman. Well, what kind of degree do you have that makes you so smart.

The Instructor
    Just like you to ignore the deeper part of my post. The fact that you, knowing NOTHING about plant reproduction have the gall to think you can criticize evolution.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 08:35
    The genes responsible for the moths becoming darker didn't mutate. Those genes were already there. If most moths were light colored before the industrial revolution, it was because lighter colored moths were better suited for survival. When the landscape became darker and birds began harvesting mostly light colored moths, it gave the 'evolutionary' advant ...[text shortened]... ut maybe if we cover one eye and look away with the other it will all begin to make sense.
    Are you saying because a mammoth was found with blood inside not deteriorated that must be proof the Earth is only 6000 years old? Or Dino's for that matter?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 08:53
    Just like you to ignore the deeper part of my post. The fact that you, knowing NOTHING about plant reproduction have the gall to think you can criticize evolution.
    I criticize EVILution.

The Instructor
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 08:551 edit
    Are you saying because a mammoth was found with blood inside not deteriorated that must be proof the Earth is only 6000 years old? Or Dino's for that matter?
    Sounds good to me. I'll give you a few more years if it will make you happy.

The Instructor
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 11:35
    Sounds good to me. I'll give you a few more years if it will make you happy.

The Instructor
    Actually, I wasn't asking you. I already KNEW you were bloated relic.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 16:45
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Should I then assume bees are smarter than people? Without any formal training they appear to be very good at solving math problems.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree