Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member megamaster
    Xelenal of Epaland
    24 Jul '11 17:47 / 1 edit
    for club tournaments + an option to make banded tournaments


    Anybody agree?
  2. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    24 Jul '11 19:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by megamaster
    for club tournaments + an option to make banded tournaments


    Anybody agree?
    Timeout periods are measured in days.. one day, three days, etc. Zero days timeout means each player
    has no time to move without going into a timebank, which you do not specify. How long is the timebank?
  3. Standard member megamaster
    Xelenal of Epaland
    24 Jul '11 21:41
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Timeout periods are measured in days.. one day, three days, etc. Zero days timeout means each player
    has no time to move without going into a timebank, which you do not specify. How long is the timebank?
    Probably in the 20s.
  4. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    25 Jul '11 00:04
    Originally posted by megamaster
    Probably in the 20s.
    Some people might like it. Why can't your club do it now?
  5. Standard member megamaster
    Xelenal of Epaland
    25 Jul '11 00:12
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Some people might like it. Why can't your club do it now?
    These are the options for timeout: 1 day,3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days



    These are the options for timebank: 0 days, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days,28 days



    You can join if you want Heres the linkClub 288
  6. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    25 Jul '11 01:52 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by megamaster
    These are the options for timeout: 1 day,3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days



    These are the options for timebank: 0 days, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days,28 days



    You can join if you want Heres the linkClub 288
    It sounds like a nice idea, at least for rounds with smaller groups.

    It would definitely put more time pressure into the game, much more than what you have with a timeout period that resets when you move. With timebank only your time is being used up whenever it's your move, and it does not reset.

    It would tend to make you stay focused on the games and study them more closely while waiting for your opponent to move, so you can move more quickly when it's your turn and not use too much of your timebank.

    I have not played many tournaments, but if it involved larger groups with numerous simultaneous games in each round, it might be a little stressful with this sort of time control.

    But it is definitely an option that would be worth trying! Maybe it would give the games more of an OTB feel.

    ***EDIT***

    Maybe it could be introduced into the clubs first and tried out for a few tournaments. Those who participate could send feedback and if it works well and everyone seems to like it, the same idea could be implemented into the regular tournaments as well! Just a thought.
  7. Standard member megamaster
    Xelenal of Epaland
    25 Jul '11 03:28
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    It sounds like a nice idea, at least for rounds with smaller groups.

    It would definitely put more time pressure into the game, much more than what you have with a timeout period that resets when you move. With timebank only your time is being used up whenever it's your move, and it does not reset.

    It would tend to make you stay focused on the games ...[text shortened]... it, the same idea could be implemented into the regular tournaments as well! Just a thought.
    Being able to create banded tournaments would be great also. I sent feedback and Russ said once more people start to ask he will
  8. 25 Jul '11 05:02
    Being able to create banded tournaments is the way to go!
  9. Standard member megamaster
    Xelenal of Epaland
    25 Jul '11 05:04
    Originally posted by jb70
    Being able to create banded tournaments is the way to go!
    It also gives people who have no tournament victories a chance[such as myself]
  10. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    25 Jul '11 05:58
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    It sounds like a nice idea, at least for rounds with smaller groups.

    It would definitely put more time pressure into the game, much more than what you have with a timeout period that resets when you move. With timebank only your time is being used up whenever it's your move, and it does not reset.

    It would tend to make you stay focused on the games ...[text shortened]... it, the same idea could be implemented into the regular tournaments as well! Just a thought.
    I would be very cautious of games with timebank only.

    GEOGRAPHY would play a big part!!

    Lets suppose that A and B are both all day players. But due to timezones A stops playing an hour earlier than B.

    That means B always has "last" move of day and A will be losing 8 hours timenank while they both sleep!

    Beware such tournaments unless you are prepared to set your alarm throughout the night!!

    Good Luck ALL
  11. 25 Jul '11 10:07 / 1 edit
    I am 100% behind more banded tournaments.

    The timeout and timebank don't matter to me.
  12. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    25 Jul '11 13:14
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I would be very cautious of games with timebank only.

    GEOGRAPHY would play a big part!!

    Lets suppose that A and B are both all day players. But due to timezones A stops playing an hour earlier than B.

    That means B always has "last" move of day and A will be losing 8 hours timenank while they both sleep!

    Beware such tournaments unless you are prepared to set your alarm throughout the night!!

    Good Luck ALL
    Somebody might consider that an added challenge, a tactic for which they may take advantage. I know plenty here that crave such challenges...
  13. Standard member megamaster
    Xelenal of Epaland
    25 Jul '11 13:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Somebody might consider that an added challenge, a tactic for which they may take advantage. I know plenty here that crave such challenges...
    I probably wouldn't, but I might try it once in a while, If russ adds this feature.
  14. 25 Jul '11 14:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I would be very cautious of games with timebank only.

    GEOGRAPHY would play a big part!!

    Lets suppose that A and B are both all day players. But due to timezones A stops playing an hour earlier than B.

    That means B always has "last" move of day and A will be losing 8 hours timenank while they both sleep!

    Beware such tournaments unless you are prepared to set your alarm throughout the night!!

    Good Luck ALL
    Yes it happens in they annual Championship games. People were setting their clocks to get up in the middle of the night, just to move to erode the other players timebank.

    It is worse when you are both in the same timezone, especially when one player is bedded before the other. You can easily knock 8 hours off their timebank each night.
  15. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    25 Jul '11 14:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I would be very cautious of games with timebank only.

    GEOGRAPHY would play a big part!!

    Lets suppose that A and B are both all day players. But due to timezones A stops playing an hour earlier than B.

    That means B always has "last" move of day and A will be losing 8 hours timenank while they both sleep!

    Beware such tournaments unless you are prepared to set your alarm throughout the night!!

    Good Luck ALL
    wolfgang59, that's a very good point! Maybe the "timebank only" idea wouldn't work so well.

    Geography, time zones, and just having a "life" would all play a big part!! The "timebank only" game would end up being the same thing as an OTB or blitz game basically, except I think the OP wanted to introduce this idea for club tournaments.

    Whoever has to stop and do something else for several hours is going to be unfairly penalized on time, for exactly the reasons you explained. It becomes a contest of who can stay in front of their computer the longest.

    Having those "timeout" days helps keep the playing field level by giving a little time to do other things without an "instant" time penalty.

    I guess the concept could still be tested by some of the clubs just to see how it works out in real life!