02 Aug '10 16:24
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    All you need is

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

and

A B C E F G H

To play Chess

If you people put just ½ the effort into your chess as you do into thinking
    up these cock-eyed hair-brained ideas then you would all be Grandmasters.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
    Russ spent months colouring in those wee flags so you could display them
    in yo ...[text shortened]... our own special letters. Why don't you leave the man in peace.

(Thai food gives you plukes).
    Now I know where I have been going wrong, I have too many letters!
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 16:42
    Guess that my suggestion has been relegated to the junkyard by Those-Who-Rule.
    (In their own minds, at least)
    I am not a computer programmer, but: how difficult can it be? How many people are employed by RHP to manage this site? Two? Three to five? I would think there are enough to write a simple sub-routine to accommodate our Eastern European members.
    I thought that this was a reasonable request, yet, the humorists have taken over this thread, as they seem to do quite frequently on the rest of the Forum.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 17:17
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    I am not a computer programmer, but: how difficult can it be? How many people are employed by RHP to manage this site? Two? Three to five? I would think there are enough to write a simple sub-routine to accommodate our Eastern European members. ...[text shortened]... rists have taken over this thread, as they seem to do quite frequently on the rest of the Forum.
    The reason this is not a 'good idea' is RHP would need MANY more moderators to view what is going on in the forum and Admins would need to spend much more time looking into abusive messages sent in a foreign language.

With English only, RHP is able to at least keep track of what is going on.

That's not an excuse for the clowns in this thread, just a simple serious answer to your request and why it will probably never happen.

P-
  4. e4
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 18:211 edit
    Hi Dan.

I'm afraid the minute you posted....

I was under the impression that this was a serious thread.
    My mistake. Could someone direct me to a thread where the clowns do not roam.

The clowns clouds gathered in force.

How can we have our harmless fun if you start
    posting in a language some don't understand.

Ask Russ for a Foreign Forum, offer to Mod it. No jokes allowed. 🙂
  5. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 22:44
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The reason this is not a 'good idea' is RHP would need MANY more moderators to view what is going on in the forum and Admins would need to spend much more time looking into abusive messages sent in a foreign language.

With English only, RHP is able to at least keep track of what is going on.

That's not an excuse for the clowns in this thread, just a simple serious answer to your request and why it will probably never happen.

P-
    That is the kind of input I was looking for!
    Reasonable, although the flaw in that argument is that one can still speak in numerous languages here. Are they all being monitored? There are certainly few Portuguese, Norwegian or Icelandic moderators here, are there not? At least, with the Cyrillic in use, a form of 'pidgin' Russian using Latin characters where the meaning is unclear would be put off, and certainly one moderator who does speak fluent Russian could be found. Or not. An abusive message could be translated by the recipient, if that person considers it abusive.
    I realize that it is a large and mostly thankless task running this site, and the Law of Unintended Consequences is very likely to strike once again on any expansion of the site's capabilities, but then, I find this site appealing due to the my ability to communicate with the world community through it, rather than just play chess.
    Thanks again for the constructive point. I had not considered it.
  6. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 23:07
    Hi Dan.

I'm afraid the minute you posted....

I was under the impression that this was a serious thread.
    My mistake. Could someone direct me to a thread where the clowns do not roam.

The clowns clouds gathered in force.

How can we have our harmless fun if you start
    posting in a language some don't understand.

Ask Russ for a Foreign Forum, offer to Mod it. No jokes allowed. 🙂
    GreenPawn, (Can I call you Green?)
    Another reasonable post. It is just that I had no expectation that the clowns ever visited this part of the Forum, and was simply looking for a straightforward discussion.
    Perhaps they have gone now. We will see, won't we? I really do like this site for the interactions between players. Reminds me of the old chess club. The little kids would sit at one table in one room, and the adults in another. And never would the twain meet, unless in an event. (It would become disconcerting when the juvenile's friends would hover about your board during a game, esp. when one is losing to said juvenile!) Here, it seems that one cannot avoid them when involved in any discussion. And, as one get's older, one's tolerance does tend to shorten.
    And, as for moderating Russian, I have but a smidgen of Russian, having learned it 40 years ago, and then only superficially. It has been that long since I was in that country. So, I am not your man for the task.
    By the bye, menya zavoot William.
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 23:301 edit
    Perhaps they have gone now........?
    Nope......still us clowns here.

skeets
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 23:38
    I am not a computer programmer, but: how difficult can it be? How many people are employed by RHP to manage this site? Two? Three to five? I would think there are enough to write a simple sub-routine to accommodate our Eastern European members. ...[text shortened]... rists have taken over this thread, as they seem to do quite frequently on the rest of the Forum.
    Do you not think that the volume of people who post in the thread means that the thread stays near the top of the bunch rather than being relegated.

It is also possible that the powers that be are more likely to look at a thread with 30+ comments rather than a thread with only one of two comments.

Minimal comments show a lack of interest in the idea being proposed.

Maybe you should go and visit a surgeon to have the humour bypass reversed. 😛
  9. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 00:19
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Do you not think that the volume of people who post in the thread means that the thread stays near the top of the bunch rather than being relegated.

It is also possible that the [b]powers that be
    are more likely to look at a thread with 30+ comments rather than a thread with only one of two comments.

Minimal comments show a lack of interest ...[text shortened]... g proposed.

Maybe you should go and visit a surgeon to have the humour bypass reversed. 😛[/b]
    Very good point. The Walmart theory of business: quantity over quality.
    But then, I avoid Walmart due to their business plan. Unfortunately, it seems that it is now promoted at all the business schools. Still your idea has some merit.
    As to my sense of humour, I do have the full Monty Python's Flying Circus DVD collection. The Scots did bear a sizable number of their jokes. (e.g. Man turns into Scotsman)
  10. e4
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 00:33
    Hi Dan.

Yes call me green.

It is the way of RHP, you must seen it hundreds of times before.

Someone posts, enter the clowns, they frolic and they go away.

Eventually someone always comes along with the answer the poster was seeking.

Thread closed.

Blame Phlabitbit for not coming on sooner.
  11. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 00:45
    When one says: send in the clowns, I always think of Sondheim. Always liked that piece. They really must not have a life, mustn't they? Another popped up, as you may have noticed. But then, if that is the extent of their cleverness, it does explain my surprisingly good record here.
    Still, as the Scotsman pointed out, this thread is accumulating hits.
  12. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 02:19
    ......... this thread is accumulating hits.
    ....and clowns.

skeets
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 05:23
    Hi Dan.

Yes call me green.

It is the way of RHP, you must seen it hundreds of times before.

Someone posts, enter the clowns, they frolic and they go away.

Eventually someone always comes along with the answer the poster was seeking.

Thread closed.

Blame Phlabitbit for not coming on sooner.
    😀
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 12:34
    I am wondering how difficult it would be to allow characters from Cyrillic, as well as German, to be displayed on this site. When communicating with our Russian friends, my Cyrillic keyboard is not displayed as such, but as a series of numbers, presumably the ASCII codes for the characters.
    Can this be easily remedied?
    Спасибо
    (Typed that it Cyrillic.)
    This site does accept languages other than english - i have seen lots of different languages - just send admin a quick note if you have missing characters 🙂

(just testing this - i haven't typed in or used german for ages)
    Diese site akzeptiert Sprachen andere als Englisch - Ich habe viele verschiedene Sprachen - schicken Sie einfach admin eine schnelle Anmerkung Wenn Sie fehlende Charaktere 🙂
  15. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 17:53
    I made the mistake in misnaming this thread, and am paying for it. The title should be Accept other alphabets than English, (or Latin, or whatever).
    Yes, as has been demonstrated, there are other characters in various languages that RHP supports. Cyrillic is not one of them. Perhaps others. Chinese ideograms, Arabic characters I have no knowledge of, so I cannot comment on them. But chess was, and still is, (even though many of the Russian professionals have emigrated to the West), an especial game in Eastern Europe, so that it seems that Cyrillic should be supported on this fine, multinational site. Even though it was started in England.
    That's the point I have been trying to put forth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree