1. Joined
    05 Jul '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 19:53
    if you go to the website translate.google.com google can translate redhotpawn into any language you want.
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 20:24
    Originally posted by DavidNeff
    if you go to the website translate.google.com google can translate redhotpawn into any language you want.
    Do they do english 😉
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 23:351 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The reason this is not a 'good idea' is RHP would need MANY more moderators to view what is going on in the forum and Admins would need to spend much more time looking into abusive messages sent in a foreign language.

With English only, RHP is able to at least keep track of what is going on.

That's not an excuse for the clowns in this thread, just a simple serious answer to your request and why it will probably never happen.

P-
    I think the Forums are an important feature of this site and do not agree we should only play chess.

I wonder how much the need to moderate Forums matters? Yes we could get paranoid about legal action and I have seen some pretty unpleasant posts getting properly stamped on in some discussions. However, I suspect that happens primarily when someone reports the post, rather than imagining that Russ browses the discussions pro-actively. If he does he must be getting crazy by now.

I would enjoy having discussions in other languages on the site and I wonder if that would reduce the domination of a small band of Right Wing Americans in certain discussion forums? Maybe it could be achieved by having distinct forums, where a player is prepared to volunteer some moderating role, even just to be available if Russ needs translations or advice?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 07:03
    Originally posted by DavidNeff
    No, not with quality, sometimes not even readable.
  5. ALG
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 09:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No, not with quality, sometimes not even readable.
    Indeed. It translates Finnegan's post like:

I think the forums are an important feature of this site and do not agree we should only chess.

I wonder how much the need to moderate business forum? Yes we could get paranoid about legal action and I've seen some nice unpleasant news gets stamped in some good discussions. However, I suspect that happens especially when someone post the reports, instead of thinking Russ discussions browse proactive. If he does, he will be crazy by now.

I would enjoy that work in other languages on the site and I wonder if that would be the dominance of a small group of right-wing Americans to reduce some discussion? Might be achieved by having different forums where a player is willing to volunteer some moderating role, even only be available if Russ needs translation or advice?
  6. The sky
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 23:09
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    All you need is

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

and

A B C E F G H

To play Chess
    Why are you discriminating against the d-file?
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Sep '10 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    Indeed. It translates Finnegan's post like:

I think the forums are an important feature of this site and do not agree we should only chess.

I wonder how much the need to moderate business forum? Yes we could get paranoid about legal action and I've seen some nice unpleasant news gets stamped in some good discussions. However, I suspect that happens e ...[text shortened]... to volunteer some moderating role, even only be available if Russ needs translation or advice?
    Sounds like the translator would make my posts appear silly which cannot be contemplated.

🙂
  8. e4
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 01:28
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Why are you discriminating against the d-file?
    I'm not discriminating against the d-file,
    my keyboard is that old my 'd' button is busted.

I forgot to use the 'fix' in that post.

I use the 'd' to post in the forum by copying and pasting
    a 'd' from another post.

In this case I used the 'd' from your post.

Thank you.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 12:02
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    I am wondering how difficult it would be to allow characters from Cyrillic, as well as German, to be displayed on this site. When communicating with our Russian friends, my Cyrillic keyboard is not displayed as such, but as a series of numbers, presumably the ASCII codes for the characters.
    Can this be easily remedied?
    Спасибо
    (Typed that it Cyrillic.)
    It's technically infeasible to expect players from goodness knows where using goodness knows what software and goodness knows which fonts to be able to display characters outside the standard WWW character set (which is, very more or less, ISO Latin-1). Characters inside that set more or less have to be displayable by any possible web browser out there, because if they didn't, they would fail part of the HTML Standards. Characters outside it... well, there are quite a few systems in existence which simply cannot display most of them. And even if most desktop computers could, in principle, display them, most ordinary users haven't installed a font containing all tens of thousands of characters in Unicode as their default browser font, often for very good reasons.
    As other posters have demonstrated, that default set includes a number, but by no means all, of the more common characters used in the Latin alphabet. You can rely on (almost) every browser out there being able to display those. It does not include the Cyrillic alphabet or the Thai script. What's worse, it doesn't even include U2654 - U265F, so most browsers, at least the way most users will have them set up, aren't even capable of displaying chess symbols without resorting to graphics...

Richard
  10. Joined
    08 Jul '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '10 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It's technically infeasible to expect players from goodness knows where using goodness knows what software and goodness knows which fonts to be able to display characters outside the standard WWW character set (which is, very more or less, ISO Latin-1). Characters inside that set more or less have to be displayable by any possible web browser out ren't even capable of displaying chess symbols without resorting to graphics...

Richard
    ISO-8859-1 (first - or western - latin character set) was the de facto standard for some time in the computing world, but I do believe it's been more or less deprecated by UTF-8 these days. I find it odd that there are still websites using a latin character set in an international setting.

To answer the original question, changing the character set of a website is not very difficult at all. An automated process can be written to do the conversion of the existing database into whatever character set the website owner decide to use.

I personally don't have need for any characters beyond the western latin character set, but I don't see why they should be disallowed. The argument earlier that moderation is more complicated is weak in my opinion, as you can always type messages in other languages using the western latin character set.
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It does not include the Cyrillic alphabet or the Thai script.
    Richard
    I've been asking for Thai for over a year now. It's a no go area. RHP just falls behind, yet again! 😠

Edit: And my reason for asking for it? I have 23 students at school who want to join, and speak to each other and learn, in Thai!!! 🙁

23 members lost........ amongst the many more Thais I play with, who can't be bothered to re-subscribe!
  12. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 12:471 edit
    Thank you, Meinarl and Shallow Blue, for commenting on the technical aspects of this. Helps me to understand the problem. And, do agree with the argument from Mikelom that extending the communication ability of this site would help expand the membership. I was pushing for more Russians, but Thai players would be great as well!
  13. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 22:31
    vilja mer svenska damer att sammanfoga...
  14. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 17:23
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    vilja mer svenska damer att sammanfoga...
    Get that foreigner out of here!
    People should learn English.
    (Or Australian, at the least.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree