1. Joined
    11 May '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 02:52
    I've searched a bit in the forums, but couldn't find anything about this. I think it would be great to setup an aim (or other im setup-jabber, msn, whathaveyou) notifications for moves. Right now I have setup a little aim bot that read my procmail.log and shoots off an im with the subject line (soandso has moved) whenever an email is recieved to my notification address. This works great for me, but is a lot of over head sending the email. Has anyone considered the idea of incorporating this into the site? Or am I the only one that wants up to the minute move notifications? 🙂
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 03:24
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=24904

Would this suit?
  3. Joined
    11 May '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 03:35
    I had seen that, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. It's push vs. pull. While querying the site every 15 minutes (or whatever interval) would work, I think it would be better to have the site push out the notifications. This saves stress on the site because there are no unneeded queries, and it also gets notifications out quicker. It already pushes out emails, and ims are considerably smaller. Plus, a lot of people already use im, so in a lot of cases there would be no need to install extra software.
  4. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 05:30
    Yep. that would be cool . I've used aim bots to send me info when there are network problems at work.

But there are usage thresholds. When I was writing my code and testing often, aim would shut me down for a while if I banged away to heavily. There are corporate aim verision, but then your looking at cost.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 08:55
    Originally posted by fleebiebob
    I've searched a bit in the forums, but couldn't find anything about this. I think it would be great to setup an aim (or other im setup-jabber, msn, whathaveyou) notifications for moves. Right now I have setup a little aim bot that read my procmail.log and shoots off an im with the subject line (soandso has moved) whenever an email is recieved to my no ...[text shortened]... ing this into the site? Or am I the only one that wants up to the minute move notifications? 🙂
    I like it.

D
  6. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 09:03
    I've searched a bit in the forums, but couldn't find anything about this. I think it would be great to setup an aim (or other im setup-jabber, msn, whathaveyou) notifications for moves. Right now I have setup a little aim bot that read my procmail.log and shoots off an im with the subject line (soandso has moved) whenever an email is recieved to my no ...[text shortened]... ing this into the site? Or am I the only one that wants up to the minute move notifications? 🙂

praise be - another great idea!
  7. Joined
    11 May '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '05 13:55
    Originally posted by foil
    But there are usage thresholds. When I was writing my code and testing often, aim would shut me down for a while if I banged away to heavily. There are corporate aim verision, but then your looking at cost.
    That's very true. I doubt the aim folks would like the volume generated. My thought would be to use something like jabber, and just bypass aim altogether. Good clients such as gaim have no problem handling multiple protocols. But, this does make it more of a pain for people. *shrug* Well, I have my system setup to send me ims already, so I'm not desperate for it 🙂, but I still think something more integrated would be nice.
  8. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    16 Jun '05 23:51
    How about this idea ... suppose you have your board position local on your machine, and you recieved your opponent's aim move . What if you could send a move reply with aim? ( or other ) .. hmmm .. I might work on that ....
  9. Joined
    27 May '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '05 23:50
    Not quite the same thing, but along the same idea - I have my move notifications sent to a mail account (Google Mail) which has filtering capability.

I have a filter set for move notifications from RHP to be sent to my cell phone so I know a move has been made.

Something like that might work for you in the interim?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree