An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
My "bleating" is that of a grown-up pushing back against a feature that lets the site down. I have no objection to being openly criticized on the forums. It may have escaped your notice but I rather relish it, especially when it is hypocritical. Anonymous thumbs are just about the most adolescent and craven way possible of expressing criticism.
Used correctly I see none of the issues you mention, just a different form of expression. They could have fears or no interest in posting, just a passing agree or disagree push of a button.

Moves
09 Mar 23

Also it’s very strange their aren’t more, wouldn’t you agree?

Moves
09 Mar 23

How many are on this site a day? Random poster’s-0, what was that number? 🤔😁

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@mike69 said
Used correctly I see none of the issues you mention, just a different form of expression. They could have fears or no interest in posting, just a passing agree or disagree push of a button.
Woodgirl and Indonesia Phil recently got about 12 anonymous red thumbs each for saying they enjoyed the Bill's Big Bag of Onions programme and helping me to make it. A supporter of anonymous thumbs said something along the lines of "If they lie down with dogs, then they get fleas." This whole grotty, puerile mentality is a blight on the website.

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
Woodgirl and Indonesia Phil recently got about 12 anonymous red thumbs each for saying they enjoyed the Bill's Big Bag of Onions programme and helping me to make it. A supporter of anonymous thumbs said something along the lines of "If they lie down with dogs, then they get fleas." This whole grotty, puerile mentality is a blight on the website.
That proves everything!

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@mike69 said
That proves everything!
It's not about "proving" something. It's the kind of thing that lies at the core of the issue. The feature facilitates meaningless, humorless, cowardly nastiness being directed at posters like Woodgirl and Indonesia Phil.

Moves
09 Mar 23
1 edit

@fmf said
It's not about "proving" something. It's the kind of thing that lies at the core of the issue. The feature facilitates meaningless, humorless, cowardly nastiness being directed at posters like Woodgirl and Indonesia Phil.
You really are the last person that should be complaining about nastiness.

As well, your incorrect "correction" to my intended grammar shows that you're no more intelligent than a green bean.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
Thumbs are not the core of the issue at all. Moreover, there’s nothing nasty about (red) thumbs; that’s just you over-interpreting something you claim doesn’t bother you but obviously does bother you.

Red thumbs are merely a symptom. Suppressing or removing the symptom does not even come close to addressing the core issue.

If I may venture to propose a sure-fire method of radically reducing the proliferation of red thumbs: quality posting. Problem fixed, and no need to code any changes.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Mar 23

@woofwoof said
You really are the last person that should be complaining about nastiness.
Can you have a quick look through FMF’s posting history and pull up some examples of this?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Mar 23

@moonbus said
Thumbs are not the core of the issue at all. Moreover, there’s nothing nasty about (red) thumbs; that’s just you over-interpreting something you claim doesn’t bother you but obviously does bother you.

Red thumbs are merely a symptom. Suppressing or removing the symptom does not even come close to addressing the core issue.

If I may venture to propose a sure-fire method ...[text shortened]... proliferation of red thumbs: quality posting. Problem fixed, and no need to code any changes.
What colour is the sky on your planet?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Mar 23

@suzianne said
What is infantile is your continual bleating about being criticized for your behavior.
What “behaviour”?

Any specific examples?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Mar 23

@woofwoof said
Thumbs are indeed feedback: Especially for those whom fear being abused in retribution.
“Abused in retribution”

🤪

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Mar 23
2 edits

Russ, the proposal from myself is the thumbing function be set for subscribers only.

In line with the limiting alerts tactic this does the same thing: I.e. keeps the function for those subscribers who value it and prevents the infantile abuse of the feature.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
I couldnt agree less.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Mar 23

@divegeester said
Russ, the proposal from myself is the thumbing function be set for subscribers only.

In line with the limiting alerts tactic this does the same thing: I.e. keeps the function for those subscribers who value it and prevents the infantile abuse of the feature.
says the biggest infant of them all.