An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@badradger said
I couldnt agree less.
That's because you are the personification of the mentality I mentioned.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
That's because you are the personification of the mentality I mentioned.
says the man with his bag of boring onions

IP

Moves
09 Mar 23

@woofwoof said
I respectfully disagree Phil.

Thumbs are indeed feedback: Especially for those whom fear being abused in retribution.

People are not equally strong. Some may even suffer an inability to write confidently. Such do not deserve to be excised from conversations which find them offended or in disagreement.

Saying that all thumbs are personal attacks or born of cowardly ...[text shortened]... s blue.

It ignores the reality of the spectrum: A spectrum which includes "50 shades of grey".
🙂
Thanks for the respect, but nobody is forced to post here or read the forums at all, I get bored with it sometimes or too busy and bail out for a while. My point once again is that posting a red thumb isn't taking part in a conversation, it's like taking a cattle - prod to a board meeting and poking anyone you disagree with, whilst adding nothing to the discussion. (Except in my rather dubious analogy it's clear who is wielding the cattle - prod. )

I didn't say that all red thumbs are personal attacks, you are taking my words out of the context of the whole sentence.

IP

Moves
09 Mar 23

@mike69 said
Used correctly I see none of the issues you mention, just a different form of expression. They could have fears or no interest in posting, just a passing agree or disagree push of a button.
I think the operative words here are 'Used correctly...'.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
From whom?
You claim it does not matter to you, so why do you ask?

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf: With this thread, I have established a reality distortion field.

Use it accordingly.

<TDs: audience gasps, tension mounts, this is the set-up, waiting for the punch line...>

Take it to Spirituality, Spanky.

<Audience laughs, tension released, punch line delivered. TUs.>

@fmf: Posts of the angertainment kind, please.

<TDs: the audience gasps, tension mounts, this is another set-up, waiting for the punch line...>

Plays into the joke:
THIS IS THE STUPIDEST IDEA FOR A THREAD I’VE SEEN ALL WEEK ...

<Punchline delivered. Audience laughs, tension released. TUs.>

It's George Burns and Gracie Allen, Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, Morcombe and Wise .... That's the role you chose, the straight man in a comedy duo (not always with the same partner of course).

To mix a metaphor, you made the bed, own it.

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@moonbus said
You claim it does not matter to you, so why do you ask?
I am pointing out the weakness of your support for anonymity.

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@moonbus said
@fmf: With this thread, I have established a reality distortion field.

Use it accordingly.

<TDs: audience gasps, tension mounts, this is the set-up, waiting for the punch line...>

Take it to Spirituality, Spanky.

<Audience laughs, tension released, punch line delivered. TUs.>

@fmf: Posts of the angertainment kind, please.

<TDs: the audience gasps, ten ...[text shortened]... (not always with the same partner of course).

To mix a metaphor, you made the bed, own it.
What "bed"?

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@badradger said
says the man with his bag of boring onions
If you find them "boring", I suggest you take a break from listening to the show.

Über-Nerd

Moves
10 Mar 23

@fmf said
What "bed"?
Gosh.

F

Moves
10 Mar 23

@moonbus said
Gosh.
The "bed" you refer to is rendered meaningless by anonymity.

F

Moves
10 Mar 23

@moonbus said
There’s nothing nasty about (red) thumbs; that’s just you over-interpreting something you claim doesn’t bother you but obviously does bother you.
What bothers me is that this website has such an infantile feature.

F

Moves
10 Mar 23
1 edit

@moonbus said
If I may venture to propose a sure-fire method of radically reducing the proliferation of red thumbs: quality posting. Problem fixed, and no need to code any changes.
My posting doesn't need to be changed. It's got plenty of "quality". Are you, an adult, actually telling me, another adult, to change the content and style of his posts because some anonymous people are giving them red thumbs? Surely not.

Über-Nerd

Moves
10 Mar 23
1 edit

@fmf said
The "bed" you refer to is rendered meaningless by anonymity.
Gad, do I have to spell it out? I guess I do.

The ‘bed’ is role you have carved out for yourself in the forums. You made it, you sleep in it, stop complaining about it. Unless you like being the prima donna complainer of RHP, in which case, expect more TDs.

The thumbs you reap are what other people think about your online persona here.

You keep claiming that the opinions of the people who give you TDs don’t matter to you, but your repeatedly bringing up the subject and your lobbying to get the feature removed belies your claim not to care about it.

No one here believes your claim that your primary interest in getting the anonymous feedback feature removed is the improvement of this web site.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
10 Mar 23

@badradger said
says the biggest infant of them all.
Your continual infantile ad hominem attacks do not address my point.