An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Feb 23

@suzianne said
Stalin also silenced his critics. You see nothing wrong with that.
I don't want to silence or limit the freedom to post of anyone, whether they be critics or non-critics. Stalin, incidentally, relied on anonymous condemnation.

F

Moves
16 Feb 23

@moonbus said
@divegeester

The real issue here is not thumbs. The real issue is that you (and @fmf) reap a large amount of negative feedback which you think is unfair and you suspect that it is due to a small number of posters who have multiple accounts. That is the real issue here. Eliminating the thumbs feature is not the solution; it would unfairly penalize the many posters he ...[text shortened]... d @fmf don't have to see the thumbs, but the feature remains active and anonymous for everyone else.
I object to it because I see it an infantile feature that this site ought to get rid of.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Feb 23

@divegeester said
No, I think the “real issue” here is that the thumbing feature is being abused.
So every time someone disagrees with the abuse that you dish out, they are abusing the system?

Are you being repressed, too?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Feb 23

@suzianne said
So every time someone disagrees with the abuse that you dish out, they are abusing the system?

Are you being repressed, too?
What “abuse”?

All I’m doing here is offering a solution to improve the thumbs feature on this already excellent website.

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Feb 23

@fmf said
I object to it because I see it an infantile feature that this site ought to get rid of.
Get over it. I don’t object to a restaurant serving bambini spaghetti when I order lobster thermidor. Why should you?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
18 Feb 23

@moonbus said
Get over it. I don’t object to a restaurant serving bambini spaghetti when I order lobster thermidor. Why should you?
Yours is a rubbish analogy.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Feb 23

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Feb 23

@divegeester said
OK, here‘s another analogy: I don‘t object to clowns at the circus even though I go primarily for the dancing horses.

PS For the literarily challenged: „circus“ is a metaphor for RHP, „dancing horses“ is a metaphor for actually playing chess here, „clowns“ is a metaphor for some of the people who post at the forums here, and „literarily challenged“ is a metaphor for people Shav would call a mor-on second thought, Shav has a good thread going on favorite paintings.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Feb 23

@moonbus said
OK, here‘s another analogy: I don‘t object to clowns at the circus even though I go primarily for the dancing horses.

PS For the literarily challenged: „circus“ is a metaphor for RHP, „dancing horses“ is a metaphor for actually playing chess here, „clowns“ is a metaphor for some of the people who post at the forums here, and „literarily challenged“ is a metaphor for people Shav would call a mor-on second thought, Shav has a good thread going on favorite paintings.
It’s another poor analogy doesn’t relate to anyone with an opinion on the suggestion in my OP because, and to add to your circus metaphors: the horses are in a separate tent, and the clowns are ruining the magic act, which a subset of those wishing to see the horses are also paying to see.

I’d give up on the metaphors if I were you, and just stick to trying to close down the debate about anonymous thumbs.

Moves
22 Feb 23

@divegeester said
It’s another poor analogy doesn’t relate to anyone with an opinion on the suggestion in my OP because, and to add to your circus metaphors: the horses are in a separate tent, and the clowns are ruining the magic act, which a subset of those wishing to see the horses are also paying to see.
Then why are you so desperate to stop people pointing out the clowns?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Feb 23

@shallow-blue said
Then why are you so desperate to stop people pointing out the clowns?
Non sequitur; and incongruent with the point of the OP.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 23

@suzianne said
What you're fighting against is widespread public disapproval of your posting methods.
You’re fighting with anonymous thumbs?

And your are fighting “against” … or with this alleged widespread disapproval?

F

Moves
26 Feb 23

@moonbus said
Gosh. Do whatever you want about what you think is best for the restaurant in your analogy. I won't be trying to dissuade you from lobbying.

F

Moves
26 Feb 23

@divegeester said
He was saying he doesn't object to X so why should I object to Y.

F

Moves
26 Feb 23

@moonbus said
Good for you. Your analogy involving your choice not to object to something doesn't apply to me because I DO choose to object to something.