Automatic draw

Automatic draw

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
12 May 08

I have a game in wich I repeated the third consecutive move and I was not aware that in order to the draw to work you had to actually claim it, why doesnt it work automatically?

ZN

Stockholm

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by Superman
I have a game in wich I repeated the third consecutive move and I was not aware that in order to the draw to work you had to actually claim it, why doesnt it work automatically?
The rule is that one of the players have to claim it, as described in the FAQ section "How do I claim a draw?".

In Wiki there are some famous examples of when a draw was claimed and when it wasn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threefold_repetition

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Zipdrive Nightmare
The rule is that one of the players have to claim it, as described in the FAQ section "How do I claim a draw?".

In Wiki there are some famous examples of when a draw was claimed and when it wasn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threefold_repetition
I read the FAQ imediatly after I made the third move and it was not a draw automaticaly, the question is if it can be implemented to be automatic, of course would like to hear opinions about it.

Of course the FAQ is not a rules section, is just an explination of how things shoud be done in this site, more like a general help, I will read further in the site rules about it.

F

Moves
12 May 08

I wouldn't want an automatic draw.
Why?
Because my opponent perhaps didn't see the draw and forgot to claim it.

Over the board, you have to claim the draw in order to get it. The same should be applied here.

Once I had three position repetition in the move 49, 61, and 65. I did see it, my opponent was surprised of the draw. But the thing is - I saw it. Therefore I deserved the draw.

ZN

Stockholm

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Why?

Over the board, you have to claim the draw in order to get it. The same should be applied here.

Once I had three position repetition in the move 49, 61, and 65. I did see it, my opponent was surprised of the draw. But the thing is - I saw it. Therefore I deserved the draw.
Yes, it's a standard chess rule. I don't see any reason why it should be different on RHP.

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Why?

I understand your position, but if the game is a Draw after the repetition, and this is a rule, then it should be automatic, the fact that a player could not notice and the oponent benefit from it is another thing.

But I will keep the majority choice.

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
12 May 08
2 edits

Yes, it's a standard chess rule. I don't see any reason why it should be different on RHP.
I understand that over the board the only calculation is betwen players, they must notice everything, from combinations, winning chances, mates in one and in two, even draws.

But what happens if a player moves a piece when he is in check and the other player doesn`t notice it, as it has hapenned, if ten moves pass, then ten moves the game must be rewinded and played again from the check position.

In RHP we have a software who decides if a move is ilegal, not allowing you to do so. the same software can be used to decide that the position is a draw.

Of course this is just a sugestion.

ZN

Stockholm

Moves
12 May 08

I understand your position, but if the game is a Draw after the repetition, and this is a rule, then it should be automatic, the fact that a player could not notice and the oponent benefit from it is another thing.

But the game isn't drawn after the repetition unless a player claims it. That's why it can't be automatic unless you wish to change the rules of chess.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
12 May 08

I understand that over the board the only calculation is betwen players, they must notice everything, from combinations, winning chances, mates in one and in two, even draws.

But what happens if a player moves a piece when he is in check and the other player doesn`t notice it, as it has hapenned, if ten moves pass, then ten moves the game must be rewinde ...[text shortened]... ftware can be used to decide that the position is a draw.

RHP or any online chess would be a mess if you could make an illegal move every time. Some people would do it every time just to cause confusion and see if they could get away with it, just like some people who offer a draw every move in a lost game. It's a waste of time.

Claiming a draw doesn't happen nearly as often as a move, so it's best the user needs to claim it... just like in OTB chess. Now that you know the rule, you probably won't miss it if you are trying to do it or the other guy is trying to do it.

P-

F

Moves
12 May 08

If the draw procedure is changed at RHP, I wouldn't mind very much. It's just not that important to fight for.

But I still want it to what it is now.

ZN

Stockholm

Moves
12 May 08

But what happens if a player moves a piece when he is in check and the other player doesn`t notice it, as it has hapenned, if ten moves pass, then ten moves the game must be rewinde ...[text shortened]... ftware can be used to decide that the position is a draw.

The difference is, a threefold repetition isn't illegal, nor is avoiding to claim it.

But I've never played OTB so I don't know about the rules for illegal moves, I'm just happy RHP doesn't allow me to make them 🙂

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
12 May 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
RHP or any online chess would be a mess if you could make an illegal move every time. Some people would do it every time just to cause confusion and see if they could get away with it, just like some people who offer a draw every move in a lost game. It's a waste of time.

Claiming a draw doesn't happen nearly as often as a move, so it's best the user ...[text shortened]... probably won't miss it if you are trying to do it or the other guy is trying to do it.

P-
Of course now that I know I will not let it pass again 😉

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
12 May 08

The difference is, a threefold repetition isn't illegal, nor is avoiding to claim it.

But I've never played OTB so I don't know about the rules for illegal moves, I'm just happy RHP doesn't allow me to make them 🙂
I think you are rigth.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 May 08

But what happens if a player moves a piece when he is in check and the other player doesn`t notice it, as it has hapenned, if ten moves pass, then ten moves the game must be rewinded and played again from the check position.
I don't believe this to be standard chess rules.

D

e4

Moves
12 May 08
2 edits

Sorry - wrong thread - 😛