Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 26 Sep '07 03:03
    Is there a way to know how long it take someone to play on average? I'm playing someone who appears to be accepting all players and is now up to 398 games. The result for me is that while he plays everyday, I've been waiting since the 16th for him to make a move.

    No complaints about how he plays, except that at this rate it will take about four years to finish the game. (I know, I accepted the time limits).

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=272521
  2. 26 Sep '07 04:00
    398 games isn't even close to the max that a few players have had on this site.

    The user Heng had 1700+ going at the same time once.

    It might be an interesting stat for someone's profile though. Avg number of moves per day for the past x days.
  3. 26 Sep '07 05:11
    Originally posted by erice1
    Is there a way to know how long it take someone to play on average? I'm playing someone who appears to be accepting all players and is now up to 398 games. The result for me is that while he plays everyday, I've been waiting since the 16th for him to make a move.

    No complaints about how he plays, except that at this rate it will take about four years to ...[text shortened]... I accepted the time limits).

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=272521
    I wouldn't ever agree to a game with "21 days per move. 7 days timebank." if I only have 6 games max to play with as a non subscriber. Why did you?

    Your opponent, on the other hand, is doing everything as he should. He agreed upon a game that he can have as low priority game. He has to take care of the quicker games first in order to avoid time outs.

    A 21/7 game is not for those in a hurry.
  4. 26 Sep '07 10:00
    Well, you can see how many 'moves this month' they have made in their profile.
  5. 26 Sep '07 13:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I wouldn't ever agree to a game with "21 days per move. 7 days timebank." if I only have 6 games max to play with as a non subscriber. Why did you?

    Your opponent, on the other hand, is doing everything as he should. He agreed upon a game that he can have as low priority game. He has to take care of the quicker games first in order to avoid time outs.

    A 21/7 game is not for those in a hurry.
    agreed. He hasn't done anything wrong and I'll be more careful with future accepts. My point though is that an average time would be useful. In general I would much prefer to play someone who has an average move time of four hours over 17 days.
  6. 26 Sep '07 13:17
    Originally posted by erice1
    agreed. He hasn't done anything wrong and I'll be more careful with future accepts. My point though is that an average time would be useful. In general I would much prefer to play someone who has an average move time of four hours over 17 days.
    He might have an average play time of four hours over all his games.

    There isn't any way to give you any prediction as to how often he'd play in one specific game.
  7. 26 Sep '07 16:35
    Originally posted by erice1
    agreed. He hasn't done anything wrong and I'll be more careful with future accepts. My point though is that an average time would be useful. In general I would much prefer to play someone who has an average move time of four hours over 17 days.
    A possible formula to know a persons move activity would be something like this:
    (Number of moves this month) / (Number of games in progress).
    The higher value, compared with others at the same time, indicates a more active player. Chose one of them and avoid long games.
    Stick with 3/7, or perhaps even shorter times.

    But what about this lengthy one? Give it up and start another one with a qucker player? Take the rating loss, you will regain it in a jiffy if you play much yourself.
  8. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    27 Sep '07 01:46
    Originally posted by erice1
    Is there a way to know how long it take someone to play on average? I'm playing someone who appears to be accepting all players and is now up to 398 games. The result for me is that while he plays everyday, I've been waiting since the 16th for him to make a move.

    No complaints about how he plays, except that at this rate it will take about four years to ...[text shortened]... I accepted the time limits).

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=272521
    I don't even want to know how many hours some people spend on this site / day...isn't such a site meant just to basically log on for 5-35 minutes to make a couple of moves, and then that's it? Unless you post in the forums, why even be on for 5 hrs / day (well, why even post in the forums 5 hrs a day )
  9. 27 Sep '07 02:38
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I don't even want to know how many hours some people spend on this site / day...isn't such a site meant just to basically log on for 5-35 minutes to make a couple of moves, and then that's it? Unless you post in the forums, why even be on for 5 hrs / day (well, why even post in the forums 5 hrs a day )
    RHP is a place for remotely-situated, disabled and otherwise handicapped people to find friendly opponents and belong to a community. This helps to reduce the isolation, and having a common interest in chess gives you a chance to explore other interests you may have in common.

    This may not be RHP's intended purpose, but there are a lot of us out here who are happy to spend hours on this site every day.
  10. 27 Sep '07 13:21
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I don't even want to know how many hours some people spend on this site / day...isn't such a site meant just to basically log on for 5-35 minutes to make a couple of moves, and then that's it? Unless you post in the forums, why even be on for 5 hrs / day (well, why even post in the forums 5 hrs a day )
    The idea isnt how much time they spend on-line. Honestly could care less. However the average play time gives you an indication of how often they check in and actually move.

    With some people they sign in multiple times per day and play all waiting days. I've seen other players who sign in multiple times per day, but only move a small percentage of their games. So even though they show as a multi-day player, I'm at 11+ days and waiting on moves.

    I just thought it would be a useful profile metric. The 'how often do I check' doesn't mean a thing if they only move on a small percentage of their games each time they sign in.
  11. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    27 Sep '07 15:04
    Originally posted by erice1
    The idea isnt how much time they spend on-line. Honestly could care less. However the average play time gives you an indication of how often they check in and actually move.

    With some people they sign in multiple times per day and play all waiting days. I've seen other players who sign in multiple times per day, but only move a small percentage of the ...[text shortened]... mean a thing if they only move on a small percentage of their games each time they sign in.
    What is your idea of a formula to give a number that will give any useful info to anyone?

    How do you compare a 3 day game to a 7 day game? How do you compare a 20 move game to a 50 move game?

    You have moved about 670 times in 27 days.
    I have moved about 105 times in 27 days.

    What games do I move in? What games do you move in?

    If you have an idea for a formula that makes sense, I'd like to see it... but I don't think there is a formula that will give any useful info because there are so many different ways players play with time and number of games to give a useful answer to "how often".

    P-
  12. 27 Sep '07 15:12
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    What is your idea of a formula to give a number that will give any useful info to anyone?

    How do you compare a 3 day game to a 7 day game? How do you compare a 20 move game to a 50 move game?

    You have moved about 670 times in 27 days.
    I have moved about 105 times in 27 days.

    What games do I move in? What games do you move in?

    If you have an ...[text shortened]... ays players play with time and number of games to give a useful answer to "how often".

    P-
    A formula can easily be constructed that hints a players activity on average. But as you say, individual playing habits cannot be taken into consideration.

    This month I have played 650 moves, that makes some 20 moves a day. I have some 40 games going, that makes that I make a move in every two games.

    But some games I up-prioritize, and some games I down-prioritize, so any formula can only be constructed as a statistical average. But nevertheless, it gives a hint of the activity, compared to other players.
  13. 27 Sep '07 17:42
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    What is your idea of a formula to give a number that will give any useful info to anyone?

    How do you compare a 3 day game to a 7 day game? How do you compare a 20 move game to a 50 move game?

    You have moved about 670 times in 27 days.
    I have moved about 105 times in 27 days.

    What games do I move in? What games do you move in?

    If you have an ...[text shortened]... ays players play with time and number of games to give a useful answer to "how often".

    P-
    Since you log each move and the date/time for each move I would compute it like this;

    For each move;

    Differance = Opponents move time - my move time (gives minutes/hours/days since last move).

    Update player profile with total move time by month. Making this visible adds no value. (total_move_time = total_move_time + difference).

    Divide the Total time by the number of moves per month to come up with average time. This is what I'd like to see..

    Average_move_time = total_move_time / moves_per_month.

    The result would say that one person averages 12 days per move, the next averages 5 minutes.
  14. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    27 Sep '07 17:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by erice1
    Since you log each move and the date/time for each move I would compute it like this;

    For each move;

    Differance = Opponents move time - my move time (gives minutes/hours/days since last move).

    Update player profile with total move time by month. Making this visible adds no value. (total_move_time = total_move_time + difference).

    Divide the Total ...[text shortened]...

    The result would say that one person averages 12 days per move, the next averages 5 minutes.
    It still doesn't tell you how they'd move in any particular game. I make very few moves, but could easily make a full month's worth of moves in 1 sitting in 1 game if I have an easily won position, while letting the rest of my games sit until I was ready to move in them.

    [EDIT] Possibly a better formula would calculate on average what percentage of TO a player used up in their games. But on the whole, it seems like a whole pile of computation for minimal gain. Just keep your time controls so that your opponent is forced to move in the length of time that you want him to.

    D
  15. 27 Sep '07 18:06
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It still doesn't tell you how they'd move in any particular game. I make very few moves, but could easily make a full month's worth of moves in 1 sitting in 1 game if I have an easily won position, while letting the rest of my games sit until I was ready to move in them.

    [EDIT] Possibly a better formula would calculate on average what percentage of TO a ...[text shortened]... rols so that your opponent is forced to move in the length of time that you want him to.

    D
    See thats the point. It doesn't matter how 'many moves' you make. If your openent takes 21 days to move but you respond in 15 minutes. Your move time is 15 minutes if you only make the one move in the month.

    however, your openents time will be 21 days if thats the only move he makes in the month.

    I think its very valuable info.