1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 20:371 edit
    Thread 39434

This has been rehashed many times, but really Russ, something needs to be done. Do you have any plans to regulate tournaments in the near future, especially banded tournaments?

I have been a member here for a long time and tournaments was one of the reasons I subscribed.
    The only way I will ever win one is if I can beat people of similar playing 'strength' in a banded tournament. This will never happen if stronger players can manipulate the system.
    I know it's not always a player's fault or intention to do so, but the current system is not just not flexible enough to allow for 'fair' competition in banded tournaments.

Many ideas have been proposed by me and some other members.
    Something needs to be done ASAP.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 16:24
    I really hope I get this guy in the first round of the March 06 1500-1599 banded!

User 19172
  3. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 18:53
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I really hope I get this guy in the first round of the March 06 1500-1599 banded!

User 19172
    Tournament 1006

Wonder who's going to win this one?
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 04:02
    Well I'd hazard a guess..
    Klaus Behrmann 1817

Why isn't an average rating used?
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 06:33
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Klaus Behrmann 1817

Dude, I've been harping on about a tournament entry system rehaul for ages now, but nothing seems to get done about it.

Hopefully this continues and enough people get pissed off and start moaning about it.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 06:34
    Maybe this is the reason why banded tournaments take so long to fill up nowadays?
  7. Berks.
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 07:08
    Klaus Behrmann 1817

Thread 38866

I disagree.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 07:41
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Thread 38866

I disagree.
    Well I see you had added informtion [that he said he will resign his next round games]
    Nobody can blame a player in his position but there should be a simple solution.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 09:241 edit
    Nobody can blame a player in his position but there should be a simple solution.
    Yup, and a player resigning all his games is not the solution either.

I've never seen Russ involved in a discussion of this problem, so I don't know if any plans are (or will ever be) in place to sort this out.

Many solutions have been proposed (by me and some other people):

Maybe the tournament moderators idea has merit? Especially if no other clear solution presents itself, this is a quick and easy solution. These mods would check all the tournaments and sort out any problems that arise.
    I proposed a system where the current 30 day variable should be replaced by a weighted average rating instead. Something like this will make sure that players play in bands where they belong.

I also think any player who still has a provisional rating should not be allowed anywhere near a tournament - especially banded tournaments.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 11:09
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I've never seen Russ involved in a discussion of this problem, so I don't know if any plans are (or will ever be) in place to sort this out.
    Russ implemented something to stop p players entering banded tournaments ages ago. I remember distinctly starting a thread in Site Ideas after me and fckallie were in the final of a rookie tournie. Russ replied and said that he was in the middle of implementing this when he saw my post. Unfortunately, it was before the site ideas and help forums got split, so its gone.

There's this thread, which shows that at one time p players couldn't enter banded tournaments...Thread 17756

Somethings after breaking, and Russ might not even be aware of it.

D
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 11:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Russ implemented something to stop p players entering banded tournaments ages ago. I remember distinctly starting a thread in Site Ideas after me and fckallie were in the final of a rookie tournie. Russ replied and said that he was in the middle of implementing this when he saw my post. Unfortunately, it was before the site ideas and help forums got spli ...[text shortened]... id]17756[/threadid]

Somethings after breaking, and Russ might not even be aware of it.

D
    Sweet. Great. Though that is not what I was really referring to.

Banded tournament entry is flawed over and above the provisional player entry and should be looked at.
    Any ideas?
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 13:00
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Sweet. Great. Though that is not what I was really referring to.

Banded tournament entry is flawed over and above the provisional player entry and should be looked at.
    Any ideas?
    Well, collate some of the ideas from this thread here, and I'd be up for discussing them some more...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31221&page=4

D
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 15:17
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Well, collate some of the ideas from this thread here, and I'd be up for discussing them some more...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31221&page=4

D
    There's been about 5 or 6 threads that I can remember that had discussions about banded tournaments.

I'll check them out over the weekend (if I can find them) and do a collation...
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 20:44
    Here's a simple fix.

1) No entry into banded tourneys for provisionals
    2) Rating floors for established players (say, 200 points below highest rating maintained over x games)
  15. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    11 Mar '06 15:21
    another (even simpler) fix:

instead of rating floors, how about a longer 'highest rating' memory - say 90 days? or 6 months?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree