Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    07 Mar '06 20:37 / 1 edit
    Thread 39434

    This has been rehashed many times, but really Russ, something needs to be done. Do you have any plans to regulate tournaments in the near future, especially banded tournaments?

    I have been a member here for a long time and tournaments was one of the reasons I subscribed.
    The only way I will ever win one is if I can beat people of similar playing 'strength' in a banded tournament. This will never happen if stronger players can manipulate the system.
    I know it's not always a player's fault or intention to do so, but the current system is not just not flexible enough to allow for 'fair' competition in banded tournaments.

    Many ideas have been proposed by me and some other members.
    Something needs to be done ASAP.
  2. 08 Mar '06 16:24
    I really hope I get this guy in the first round of the March 06 1500-1599 banded!

    User 19172
  3. Standard member mosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    08 Mar '06 18:53
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I really hope I get this guy in the first round of the March 06 1500-1599 banded!

    User 19172
    Tournament 1006

    Wonder who's going to win this one?
  4. 09 Mar '06 04:02
    Well I'd hazard a guess..
    Klaus Behrmann 1817


    Why isn't an average rating used?
  5. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    09 Mar '06 06:33
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Well I'd hazard a guess..
    Klaus Behrmann 1817


    Why isn't an average rating used?
    Dude, I've been harping on about a tournament entry system rehaul for ages now, but nothing seems to get done about it.

    Hopefully this continues and enough people get pissed off and start moaning about it.
  6. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    09 Mar '06 06:34
    Maybe this is the reason why banded tournaments take so long to fill up nowadays?
  7. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    09 Mar '06 07:08
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Well I'd hazard a guess..
    Klaus Behrmann 1817


    Why isn't an average rating used?
    Thread 38866

    I disagree.
  8. 09 Mar '06 07:41
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Thread 38866

    I disagree.
    Well I see you had added informtion [that he said he will resign his next round games]
    Nobody can blame a player in his position but there should be a simple solution.
  9. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    09 Mar '06 09:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Nobody can blame a player in his position but there should be a simple solution.
    Yup, and a player resigning all his games is not the solution either.

    I've never seen Russ involved in a discussion of this problem, so I don't know if any plans are (or will ever be) in place to sort this out.


    Many solutions have been proposed (by me and some other people):

    Maybe the tournament moderators idea has merit? Especially if no other clear solution presents itself, this is a quick and easy solution. These mods would check all the tournaments and sort out any problems that arise.
    I proposed a system where the current 30 day variable should be replaced by a weighted average rating instead. Something like this will make sure that players play in bands where they belong.

    I also think any player who still has a provisional rating should not be allowed anywhere near a tournament - especially banded tournaments.
  10. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    09 Mar '06 11:09
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I've never seen Russ involved in a discussion of this problem, so I don't know if any plans are (or will ever be) in place to sort this out.
    Russ implemented something to stop p players entering banded tournaments ages ago. I remember distinctly starting a thread in Site Ideas after me and fckallie were in the final of a rookie tournie. Russ replied and said that he was in the middle of implementing this when he saw my post. Unfortunately, it was before the site ideas and help forums got split, so its gone.

    There's this thread, which shows that at one time p players couldn't enter banded tournaments...Thread 17756

    Somethings after breaking, and Russ might not even be aware of it.

    D
  11. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    09 Mar '06 11:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Russ implemented something to stop p players entering banded tournaments ages ago. I remember distinctly starting a thread in Site Ideas after me and fckallie were in the final of a rookie tournie. Russ replied and said that he was in the middle of implementing this when he saw my post. Unfortunately, it was before the site ideas and help forums got spli ...[text shortened]... id]17756[/threadid]

    Somethings after breaking, and Russ might not even be aware of it.

    D
    Sweet. Great. Though that is not what I was really referring to.

    Banded tournament entry is flawed over and above the provisional player entry and should be looked at.
    Any ideas?
  12. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    09 Mar '06 13:00
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Sweet. Great. Though that is not what I was really referring to.

    Banded tournament entry is flawed over and above the provisional player entry and should be looked at.
    Any ideas?
    Well, collate some of the ideas from this thread here, and I'd be up for discussing them some more...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31221&page=4

    D
  13. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    09 Mar '06 15:17
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Well, collate some of the ideas from this thread here, and I'd be up for discussing them some more...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31221&page=4

    D
    There's been about 5 or 6 threads that I can remember that had discussions about banded tournaments.

    I'll check them out over the weekend (if I can find them) and do a collation...
  14. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    09 Mar '06 20:44
    Here's a simple fix.

    1) No entry into banded tourneys for provisionals
    2) Rating floors for established players (say, 200 points below highest rating maintained over x games)
  15. Donation murrow
    penguinpuffin
    11 Mar '06 15:21
    another (even simpler) fix:

    instead of rating floors, how about a longer 'highest rating' memory - say 90 days? or 6 months?