Banded Tournaments Revisited

Banded Tournaments Revisited

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Out of drinks

On Clique Beach

Moves
12 Mar 06

Originally posted by murrow
another (even simpler) fix:

instead of rating floors, how about a longer 'highest rating' memory - say 90 days? or 6 months?
I still like rating floor, but I think the longer memory idea is simple and an improvement murrow.

How about, in addition to that, if you enter a tournament, then your rating rises above the band while your waiting for it to start, you should be booted.

K
Happier Now!!

Home!!

Moves
12 Mar 06

Here is an idea, Players that manipulate the system will do so through a large amount of time-outs. If we were to credit player who win their timed out games, but not penalize the player that was just timed out, It would make it very hard for him to lower his rating very quickly, and thus, show what should be a truer rating than the one he would be at.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
12 Mar 06

But then you'll see that any (to be) lost game will end in a timeout and not in a checkmate or resignation.

N

The sky

Moves
12 Mar 06

Originally posted by Aiko
But then you'll see that any (to be) lost game will end in a timeout and not in a checkmate or resignation.
Yes, those who want to keep their rating will let their games time out when they are in a losing position, and those who want to lower their rating will resign their games instead of letting them time out.

RK

Moves
12 Mar 06

Originally posted by RookRAK
I still like rating floor, but I think the longer memory idea is simple and an improvement murrow.
If the idea of banded tournaments is to present an opportunity for "everyone" to get a chance to win a tournament - then all these ideas make such common sense I don't see where the arguments against are.

Please, a rating floor for banded tournaments and longer memory - make it two years.

If a player's abilities drop so drastically that their floor is too high for them to compete in their designated band, then they miss out on just one small part of the site. Play in clans, clan leagues, open invites, sieges or the many other tournaments - or perhaps take up Parcheesi.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
13 Mar 06

Originally posted by KJCavalier
Here is an idea, Players that manipulate the system will do so through a large amount of time-outs. If we were to credit player who win their timed out games, but not penalize the player that was just timed out, It would make it very hard for him to lower his rating very quickly, and thus, show what should be a truer rating than the one he would be at.
Two words - Rating Inflation.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Mar 06

Banded tornaments will always be a tough one. In a large tornament you must win as many as 16 games to win the tornament. This alone could move you up a band or two!
When I started playing in tornaments I found myself in the 1450-1499 band which was a bit below my average performance till then since I had been on holiday for christmas and played less games and made rather a lot of mistakes during that period.
I subscribed to the site and started entering tornaments and decided to be a bit more carefull how I play and am now rated 1633 and would have to join the 1600-1699 band and posibly compete with some players rated as high as 1750 by the end of the tornament by which time I might be back down at 1550.
Peoples ratings however do seem to naturally fluctuate between one or two bands and there is nothing that can be done about that.
Cirtainly a ban on provisional players entering banded tornaments makes lots of sense.

s

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by Crowley
Thread 39434

This has been rehashed many times, but really Russ, something needs to be done. Do you have any plans to regulate tournaments in the near future, especially banded tournaments?

I have been a member here for a long time and tournaments was one of the reasons I subscribed.
The only way I will ever win one is if I can beat peo ...[text shortened]... ideas have been proposed by me and some other members.
Something needs to be done ASAP.
Just testing which page I land on when posting a message...

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Mar 06

Originally posted by Crowley
I'll check them out over the weekend (if I can find them) and do a collation...
Nice work.

; D