1. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 14:21
    Originally posted by adramforall

Who decides what is acceptable and what isn't?

...It should be the members as a whole, after the site-owners define the boundaries appropriate to a 13+ site. It's not the task of the moderators to censor other people's words, only to carry out the wishes of (1) the site owners (2) those members who are upset or offended by some other poster.

If people thinks something is unacceptable then click the Alert Moderator and say why. If the post should be removed, it will.
    ...But the Forum Moderator then has to make an impartial assessment of whether the claim is valid, or whether the alerting member has a hidden agenda. Sometimes there is not sufficient grounds and the post must be allowed to stand. A post alerted by two individuals is 99% guaranteed of removal.

All the forums are subject to, and should remain subject to, the same moderation regime.
    ...Threads often wander off topic, this is not necessarily a hanging offence, if it is apparent that the original topic has been abandoned we will move the thread to another forum, if we are alerted by an appropriate member request.

Thanks adram for providing me with the material for the Q/A format. 🙂
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 14:46
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    A post alerted by two individuals is 99% guaranteed of removal.
    😞
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 23:25
    A post alerted by two individuals is 99% guaranteed of removal.
    Imagine all the fun a 3a) could have with this. Or anyone with at least one loyal sycophant.
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 05:59
    and you two are now in the 1% list 🙂
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 12:551 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    😞
    That is a sickening indictment of Forum Moderation as practiced by some here.

Maybe it would be a good idea to limit users to 10 "Alert Moderators" a month like they are limited to 10 recs. I bet a few go over that by a least 2-3 times. And I bet a few people's alerts are limited to only certain other users. Abuse of alerts was supposed to be monitored by the Forum Mods, but it seems that this just isn't done.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 13:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Abuse of alerts was supposed to be monitored by the Forum Mods, but it seems that this just isn't done.
    Maybe it is but if you have 19 other clan mates and it only takes two to get a post removed, then there are a lot of permutations before a repeated pair is made.

Double that to two clans and they could be reporting all day long without duplicating the reporting duo.
  7. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 07:431 edit

[b]If the post should be removed, it will.
    ...But the Forum Moderator then has to make an impartial assessment of whether the claim is valid, or whether the alerting member has a hidden agenda. Sometimes there is not sufficient grounds and the post must be allowed to stand. A post alerted by two individuals is 99% guaranteed of removal.
    [/b]As usual, someone has taken a sentence out of context.

If you read the whole paragraph, the meaning is clear: a post alerted by two individuals on legitimate grounds is 99% guaranteed of removal. This statement was intended only to distinguish between user alerts and robomod alerts (which outnumber user alerts at least 20 to 1). It's my practice, at least, to read the whole thread or at the very least a couple of pages, before making my decision. I suspect that not too many collaborative alerts would survive that process.

Why didn't I spell it out in the earlier post? Because I was trying to get a lot of content into as few words as possible. I should have remembered that if a sentence is longer than 12 words many readers skip over it ...

Will I know better next time? Probably not. I tend not to learn from my mistakes, just like everyone else.

Now, my friend, you have lots more material to misinterpret, enjoy!
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 15:58
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Precisely SS - couldn't agree more.

rec'd

😛😛😛
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 16:53
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Precisely SS - couldn't agree more.

rec'd

😛😛😛
    Couldn't disagree more. "The squabbles and feuds" are what make the forums interesting." is per se off topic and couldn't "make the forums interesting".

Anti-rec.
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    Does anyone else here get the feeling that the forums are degenerating into a mess of inside politics, egos, feuds, and accusations?
    I grow weary of clicking on a chess thread that sounds interesting only to find that it's become a name-calling match within a few posts. No, I don't have to visit the forums, but it would be nice to see a higher premium plac ...[text shortened]... e of no tolerance for BS has been set by users, admins, moderators, and the group at large.
    Shut up numb nuts. 😛
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 17:263 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 17:49
    Trying to start a feud, are you? Makes you happy?
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 17:512 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 18:59
    Just don't mention religion. He goes bananas.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    31 Mar '08 19:06
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Just don't mention religion. He goes bananas.
    Physics is the new Christianity, don't you know.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree