1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 15:392 edits
    Ladder rules summary.

Each player can play a maximum of 2 games per ladder.

- One is a challenge, that you initiate.
    - One is a defence, where you are challenged, initiated by a player positioned within 20 places below you.

Colour selection for the game will be random at game creation.

You may challenge anyone from the 20 players above your current position IF :

- they are not on vacation.
    - they are not already defending a challenge from another player.
    - you are not already playing a challenge.
    - you have not completed a challenge game with the player in the last 2 weeks.

If you are challenged, the game cannot be refused and it starts immediately.

On game completion :

If you win a challenge, you move one position above your opponent.

Their position may have moved up or down since the challenge was initiated, so it is possible to advance more than 20 “rungs” at once, if your opponent has beaten someone else above them in the meantime. If your opponent is actually positioned lower than you at the time the game ends, no change to positions will take place. (Otherwise a win could place you in a lower position than you currently stand!)

If you lose or draw, no changes in ladder position occur for either player.

If you leave a ladder, you must play out your remaining games. You can not rejoin until any old games are completed. If you rejoin a ladder, you will start at the bottom – there are no shortcuts.

Other comments :

Your position at the start of the month will be recorded, and progress from this position indicated when viewing the ladder. It will reset on the first of every month.

I can't say for sure how this will all work out, so I will release and tweak as neccessary. I will be accepting entrants for the ladders shortly, then sorting by rating, before opening the ladder up for challenges. At this point, all new players will start at the bottom, regardless of rating.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 16:29
    Questions about ladders:

(1) For everyone or only for subs?
    (2) Rating calculations are done as usual, or are they unrated?
    (3) Ladder games, do they have a special symbol, as clan games have, in the game page?
    (4) Do I have to challenge others, or can I just sit and wait to be challenged?
    (5) Will a Ladder Forum be created, where we can discuss ladder issues? Or do whe use the "Only Chess" Forum?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 16:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Questions about ladders:

(3) Ladder games, do they have a special symbol, as clan games have, in the game page?
    (5) Will a Ladder Forum be created, where we can discuss ladder issues? Or do whe use the "Only Chess" Forum?
    1) Subs only - again, the 6 game limit makes it difficult otherwise.
    2) Rated games.
    3) Yes, you can filter for them too, just like the other game "types".
    4) You don't have to challenge a player, but you will eventually sink down the ladder if you are not actively challenging. If you are not challenging OR being challenged (you have drifted to the very bottom of the ladder, so no one will challenge you, and you are making no effort to regain positions) then you will be removed eventually.
    5) If people like the ladder format, then yes, why not.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 16:471 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Questions about ladders:

no forum please.
  5. Here
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 17:36
    Why have a time Bank ?
  6. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 17:51
    Originally posted by Russ
    Ladder rules summary.

Each player can play a maximum of [b]2 games per ladder

- One is a challenge, that you initiate.
    - One is a defence, where you are challenged, initiated by a player positioned within 20 places below you.

Colour selection for the game will be random at game creation.

You may challenge anyone from the 20 players above you ...[text shortened]... for challenges. At this point, all new players will start at the bottom, regardless of rating.[/b]
    20 spots seem like alot to me. It just depends how chaotic you want the ladder rankings to be I guess, and also how many people are playing it.

Why not have the color choice depend on whether you are challenging or being challenged? The challenged player gets white if you want to make it harder for people to move up, or black if you want to make it easier. I like either better than random.

Given that most games will take longer than a month, especially the longer timeout ones, I don't see how the progress from the beginning of the month is going to be that interesting to display.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 17:58
    Originally posted by Jasen777
    20 spots seem like alot to me. It just depends how chaotic you want the ladder rankings to be I guess, and also how many people are playing it.

Why not have the color choice depend on whether you are challenging or being challenged? The challenged player gets white if you want to make it harder for people to move up, or black if you want to make it ...[text shortened]... ee how the progress from the beginning of the month is going to be that interesting to display.
    I'm happy to take input on these very details.

Anyone else want a smaller range of available players to challenge? It might be a good idea to start lower, and modify it up if needed. There is a still time to sort out these details.

Again, regarding the random colour? Anyone else have an opinion on this? State your preference! πŸ™‚
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 18:58
    I'm happy to take input on these very details.

Anyone else want a smaller range of available players to challenge? It might be a good idea to start lower, and modify it up if needed. There is a still time to sort out these details.

Again, regarding the random colour? Anyone else have an opinion on this? State your preference! πŸ™‚
    well if a draw means that no change on the ladder occurs then i guess white should be given to the challenger... but tbh i prefer playing with black so random works for me πŸ˜‰

you should wait and see how many people join each ladder before committing to anything, there might be a lot more people on some ladders than others and you might want to adjust the range of people you can challenge accordingly if possible on each separate ladder.

when should we be expecting this to start? (don't worry we know by now to add on at least a month on any date you give us about anything πŸ˜›)
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Oct '09 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    when should we be expecting this to start? (don't worry we know by now to add on at least a month on any date you give us about anything πŸ˜›)
    Ha! Well I may have a surprise for you there!

You need to add at least two months instead!

edit : Actually, it is nearly finished. Just some minor work and testing to finish.
  10. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 07:55
    Ha! Well I may have a surprise for you there!

You need to add at least two months instead!

edit : Actually, it is nearly finished. Just some minor work and testing to finish.
    Blimey! There's even a URL up and ready for it! http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/ladder/

Plus, the sneaky little "Ladder" icon at the bottom of the games list on the My Games page.

It really is coming soon! 😲
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 09:03
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Blimey! There's even a URL up and ready for it! http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/ladder/

Plus, the sneaky little "Ladder" icon at the bottom of the games list on the My Games page.

It really is coming soon! 😲
    LOL! I just put that text there in case someone guessed the URL - and there you go πŸ™‚
  12. ALG
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 22:05
    Their position may have moved up or down since the challenge was initiated, so it is possible to advance more than 20 “rungs” at once, if your opponent has beaten someone else above them in the meantime.
    In fact, on could move up from the 25092th place to the first, if the other player completes and wins a lot of games in the meantime.

I don't like that for chess ladders.

Also, it is possible to move down even if you win all your games; when you always play the one one place up, other players below you can challenges players above you. And if you play a very slow game, you may move down a lot.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 10:24
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    In fact, on could move up from the 25092th place to the first, if the other player completes and wins a lot of games in the meantime.

I don't like that for chess ladders.

Also, it is possible to move down even if you win all your games; when you always play the one one place up, other players below you can challenges players above you. And if you play a very slow game, you may move down a lot.
    Ok, thanks for your comments. They are noted.

Anyone else? I am surprised how little input there has been on this actually...
  14. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 16:50
    Ok, thanks for your comments. They are noted.

Anyone else? I am surprised how little input there has been on this actually...
    How are we supposed to enter this when it starts?

Will it be on the tournament list or a sent message to us explaining, and then we join from that?
    Only asking because i sometimes forget to look at the tournament list.

best regards BW
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 17:14
    Originally posted by BIGWAD
    How are we supposed to enter this when it starts?

Will it be on the tournament list or a sent message to us explaining, and then we join from that?
    Only asking because i sometimes forget to look at the tournament list.

best regards BW
    A message will go out to all subs with a link. This should happen this week, then the games can start next week once I have placed all those who signed up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree