1. Joined
    06 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 20:01
    I think it would be good to introduce a new feature (Chess Ladder) to the site. This could be open to all subscribers regardless of rating. Each player on the ladder is allowed to challenge the person immediately above them, and can be challenged by the person below them. If you win you exchange places on the ladder. A draw gives no change. If you refuse a challenge then you automatically swap places on the ladder.🙂
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 05:34
    seems harmless, why not give it a try? (the answer will probably be along the lines of programming technicalities and all that, but who knows, maybe)
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 05:44
    Originally posted by Barnacles
    I think it would be good to introduce a new feature (Chess Ladder) to the site. This could be open to all subscribers regardless of rating. Each player on the ladder is allowed to challenge the person immediately above them, and can be challenged by the person below them. If you win you exchange places on the ladder. A draw gives no change. If you refuse a challenge then you automatically swap places on the ladder.🙂
    I give it a rec.
  4. Here
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 06:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I give it a rec.
    Ditto
  5. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 00:30
    Originally posted by padger
    Ditto
    Mee2 😕
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 11:29
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Mee2 😕
    It has been quite sometime since we introduced a new game "type", so I'll definitely consider this. No technical issues with this one!
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 12:12
    Like the idea & rec'd
  8. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 18:37
    sounds like a fun idea
    - recommended -
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 19:04
    What happens when

player 8 challenges player 7
    player 7 challenges player 6

and

Player 8 beats player 7 and the following day player 7 beats player 6.

You would then after the first win by player 8 the following positions

Player 6
    Player 8
    Player 7

After player 7 beats player 6 the positions become

Player 7
    Player 6
    Player 8

Poor player 8 is still in 8th place 🙁

If after multiple games you could end up with player 8 having worked their way up to 2nd place, challenges player 1 and then having suffered a few defeats in a row find themselves back in 5th place and then then beat player 1. Does player 1 then go into 5th place as they exchange places?
  10. Joined
    15 Jul '09
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 21:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Here
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 22:06
    Originally posted by adramforall
    What happens when

player 8 challenges player 7
    player 7 challenges player 6

and

Player 8 beats player 7 and the following day player 7 beats player 6.

You would then after the first win by player 8 the following positions

Player 6
    Player 8
    Player 7

After player 7 beats player 6 the positions become

Player 7
    Player 6
    Player ...[text shortened]... lace and then then beat player 1. Does player 1 then go into 5th place as they exchange places?
    The answer to this would be that you can only play 1 challenge at a time
    Therefore if player 8 challeges player 7 then player 7 cant challenge player 6
    this would promote players to challenge the player above as soon as possible
  12. Standard memberRobrobbie
    The Blues Boy
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 16:49
    Good idea
  13. New York
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 20:31
    I like this idea too. Rec'd.
  14. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 03:08
    A great idea...however, if your challenged by the person below you,
    their is no incentive for victory. A draw is better for the player above.

Perhaps a win, stops downward challenges for a certain time period.
    A draw, and you can still be challenged.

A loss, and you lose your place.

suddenly a win becomes worthwhile, to stop challenges.
    Especially if the amount of challenges is limited.

-GIN
  15. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 05:141 edit
    The solution on chessladders.com is:

1 A player may challenge any other player up to 2 places higher.
    2 Once a challenge has been made, neither the challenger nor the player who has been challenged can make or receive other challenges until the match has been played.
    3 If the challenger wins the match, he or she will move to the place previously occupied by the player that was challenged. The player that was challenged and any players in between will each move down a place.

I think it is wise to allow challenges 2 places higher, or a player who has stopped playing will block the ladder.

The stipulation that being in a current challenge stops other challenges is wise to stop things getting too tangled up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree