1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 07:46
    Originally posted by Robrobbie
    thanks for the link but i can't find any button to actually join a ladder
    Go to the one ladder you want to join. Click "Join Ladder". Voilà!
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 08:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Go to the one ladder you want to join. Click "Join Ladder". Voilà!
    plus you'll need to look into the 'redhotpawn' version of the site if you're using something else.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 08:19
    Originally posted by trev33
    plus you'll need to look into the 'redhotpawn' version of the site if you're using something else.
    But if he found the ladder page, then he wouldn't ask the question, would he?

Okay, perhaps...
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 08:50
    But if he found the ladder page, then he wouldn't ask the question, would he?

Okay, perhaps...
    i was logged into tfc when following that rhp link and had to sign into rhp before being given any options to join a ladder. i guess that's what's going on here.
  5. Standard memberRobrobbie
    The Blues Boy
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 16:50
    thanks guys-i know it sounded like a dumb question!
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 12:09
    i was logged into tfc when following that rhp link and had to sign into rhp before being given any options to join a ladder. i guess that's what's going on here.
    You can also just type "/ladder" after the web address for TFC, or whatever.
    When the link took me out of TFC to RHP I wasn't logged in, so I saw the adverts. Adverts on the Chess Ladder page for ... DIY shops that sell ladders.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 16:212 edits
    Ok, this is pretty much ready for roll-out.

All coding and testing has been completed, so now it is a matter of just rule tweaks based on input here.

An option will soon be appearing off the community menu direct to ladders, plus a broadcast message to all subs will go out soon notifying them of the early sign up.

Once this feature has bedded in with just subs, I am considering opening this feature up to everyone, but non-subs will not be able to challenge an opponent if they are playing 6 games. They can be challenged though - essential to keep the ladder moving - so this could push non-subs to 7 games. Which I’m fine with.

edit : No tweaks required. Random colour selection will remain unless there is a back lash against the idea.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:06
    Originally posted by Russ
    Once this feature has bedded in with just subs, I am considering opening this feature up to everyone, but non-subs will not be able to challenge an opponent if they are playing 6 games. They can be challenged though - essential to keep the ladder moving - so this could push non-subs to 7 games. Which I’m fine with.
    i presume then that they'll only be allowed to join one ladder?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:45
    ...one ladder at the time?

Please, Russ, let there be a ladder specifically for non-subs. Let them have their own ladder.
    Because non-subs beginners tend to list to a ladder, but not take it seriously, as subs tends to be.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:511 edit
    ...one ladder at the time?

Please, Russ, let there be a ladder specifically for non-subs. Let them have their own ladder.
    Because non-subs beginners tend to list to a ladder, but not take it seriously, as subs tends to be.
    My intention was to only allow players who have completed 10 games to join, to avoid non-movers just signing up and not returning.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:52
    Yes, this will probably have to be the case. Anyway, sometime off yet anyway.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:17
    Originally posted by Russ
    My intention was to only allow players who have completed 10 games to join, to avoid non-movers just signing up and not returning.
    Only 10 games? Let it be at least 100 games, Russ... Before that they can quit anytime, but if they hang on 100 games, then they are serious chess players.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:49
    Only 10 games? Let it be at least 100 games, Russ... Before that they can quit anytime, but if they hang on 100 games, then they are serious chess players.
    I agree.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 12:09
    wut? that's a ridiculous figure... how long would you expect someone to complete 100 games while having a 6 max?

20 would be plenty.. plus you do anyway with the possibility of playing a provisional rating.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 12:13
    wut? that's a ridiculous figure... how long would you expect someone to complete 100 games while having a 6 max?

20 would be plenty.. plus you do anyway with the possibility of playing a provisional rating.
    There is another way to immidiately enter a ladder for a non-sub. To become a sub.

10 games isn't much. We have a lot of non-sub members playing a few games and then 'abandon' the site. 100 games shows commitment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree