1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 18:25
    Sometimes one can see a player proudly present his game in progress in a forum, wanting to show something in particular about the game. Sometimes someone comments this game in a way that could bring new ideas to one of the players. This is of course violating TOS.

One way to avoid this is to have rule that says - "It is forbidden to present any game in progress in any forum or mail"
    Another way is to by code not being able to use a game link to any game in progress. This demands however an programming action from Russ et al.

An example of such a thread is Thread 62160 where any commenting has not yet been done
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 18:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Sometimes one can see a player proudly present his game in progress in a forum, wanting to show something in particular about the game. Sometimes someone comments this game in a way that could bring new ideas to one of the players. This is of course violating TOS.

One way to avoid this is to have rule that says - "It is forbidden to present any game in ...[text shortened]... mple of such a thread is Thread 62160 where any commenting has not yet been done
    Alert the original post and let the mods deal with it. It only takes a small number of alerts and it'll be gone automagically.

All in progress games shouldn't be banned from being linked. There are numerous occasions where this function has been used well.

D
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 18:53
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Alert the original post and let the mods deal with it. It only takes a small number of alerts and it'll be gone automagically.

All in progress games shouldn't be banned from being linked. There are numerous occasions where this function has been used well.

D
    Your "Alert the original post and let the mods deal with it." is good.
    If it would be impossible to use the game link with a warning text like "You are not going to ask for advice in this game in progress, would you?" one would think once more. This is one alternative.
    But until then, a new TOS 3d: "It is forbidden to link to any game in progress..." would be simple to implement.

The line between innocently showing a game with no wanting any commenting at all and the more obious "How would you do in this game" is in numerous cases more than hair thin.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 20:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Your "Alert the original post and let the mods deal with it." is good.
    If it would be impossible to use the game link with a warning text like "You are not going to ask for advice in this game in progress, would you?" one would think once more. This is one alternative.
    But until then, a new TOS 3d: "It is forbidden to link to any game in progress..." wo ...[text shortened]... he more obious "How would you do in this game" is in numerous cases more than hair thin.
    Linking to games is a great feature of the site. Asking for help in in progress games is covered in 3b.

This thread shows when linking to in progress games can be useful.
    Thread 22682

D
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 09:471 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Linking to games is a great feature of the site. Asking for help in in progress games is covered in 3b.

This thread shows when linking to in progress games can be useful.
    Thread 22682

D
    Most of us knows where the line is between commenting and thus helping. A few of us don't know where the line is and therefore can damage a lot.

A crisp clear rule that everyone can understand is never to refer to a game in progress.

I don't have any links to threads where big discussions arose where the line is between violating the 3b rule and not doing so where not known. But I know there are plenty of them.

A crisp written rule would be preferred.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 11:08
    "I can't castle when I should be able to in a game."
    "Which game?"
    "I can't post a link to it!"

"To find my latest Shuffle Chess games search for them as I'm not allowed to link to them."
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    "I can't castle when I should be able to in a game."
    "Which game?"
    "I can't post a link to it!"

"To find my latest Shuffle Chess games search for them as I'm not allowed to link to them."
    I know you know how to castle, Xanthoz.
    And I know your standard answer to this kind of questions: "Read the f*ing FAQ, !#¤*". 😀

But I see what you mean. But the answer could also be something like "Why would you like to castle when you have a mate in one?", written with innocent blue eyes.
    (I've not seen this exact phrasing, but I've seen helpful comments that helped one of the players to perhaps win the game.)

But, regardless of how you would answer, Xanthoz, the answer should have a friendly link to the appropriate FQ section.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree