1. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 16:012 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ouroboros: "You are free to take my scripts and convert them for use with IE."
    Thank you, but I don't know how I could do this from my end. Therefore I would like to put the appropriate tags into the original html code.
    And I say again - you are doing a fantastic job, ouroboros, I would like to take part of the result also, but with IE and not FF. And this only Russ et al can do.
    The problem, as I see it, is that it is not as simple as putting the appropriate tags into the original html code. There are no HTML tags to map country IDs to country names or player data to players. To put ratings and country titles on each flag and player nick would require a call to the database or a join on tables which would add load on the server which would slow down the entire site for everyone.

In terms of site enhancements, Russ and Chris have their own priorities. Perhaps it would be helpful if there was a public TODO list posted somewhere to see where your request is on the list. However, the beauty of Firefox, and Open Source in general, is that you are not beholden to others for things that you want. If you want something, you are free to implement it according to your schedule and your need.

By way of analogy, take the iPod. I could buy that and be locked into the features that Apple decides to put into the device. I'd have to live with the DRM that they attach to iTunes and I really don't have a say in the way it progresses. On the other hand, I could buy a Neuros, iriver, Cowon, etc. that allows you to run a custom firmware and let's me make changes. I'm not restricted by the manufacturer. I have the freedom to add features when I want them and not on someone else's schedule.

In the end though, it is up to you. Personally, I choose freedom.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 17:46
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    The problem, as I see it, is that it is not as simple as putting [b]the appropriate tags into the original html code. There are no HTML tags to map country IDs to country names or player data to players. To put ratings and country titles on each flag and player nick would require a call to the database or a join on tables which would add load on the ...[text shortened]... eone else's schedule.

In the end though, it is up to you. Personally, I choose freedom.[/b]
    "The problem, as I see it, is that it is not as simple as putting the appropriate tags into the original html code."

In my profile I can see the code for my flag as:

If I want the name of the country when hoovering over tha flag, the code would be like:

This is totally within the html standards. I don't think there would be any need of FireFox, nor very much work for Russ et al to acomplish this. In the user profile table it should be very easy to bring the info of the country as well, and present it within the img-tag. But who am I to know...?
    Russ et al is doing a great job. (You are too, if I may say so.) I don't want them to be burdened with more job than they already have.

I think you and I understand each other quite well. I also like freedom - my freedom of choice. I choose IE and, yes, I wouldn't say no if Windows came with FF. But if I were to choose whatever I want, I would want Linux and everything else with it and not Microsoft. But now things are what they are. I want the same things that I have at work, what they have at the local club, what my friends have and so on. Not a mix of everything. What MS delivers is what almost everyone have and that is good enough for me. The only things I don't want - is problems.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 17:49
    Dr Strangelove: "You don't mind being forced to use IE though?"
    No, of course not. IE comes with Windows itself. Had FF came with the Windows, I would of course used it.
    Its interesting to see how Microsoft's illegal activities work on the clueless.
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/may2000/micr-m23.shtml

Well done on helping stifle innovation, promote monopolies, support of corporate bullying tactics and illegal practices.

But then, if you want to be bullied into using inferior software, as you say, that is your choice. It's just a little laughable.

I mean, you probably got a mode of transport when you were 6, your first bicycle. With your mentality, you must be still riding that bike seeing as it serves your purpose of needing to get from A to B. Why get something which better serves this purpose when you already have the trusty bike which gets you there, thank you very much. 🙄

You may only have one toaster, but if that one toaster was a danger to your house (as IE is a danger due to it being easily susceptible by viri and spyware), possibly by having open wires, then you'd buy a new, better toaster. Similarly, if it was merely an annoyance (like IE's continuous pop-ups) by emitting smoke everytime you used it, you may also think about changing the toaster.

Your thinking is completely illogical to me, but if you're not confident enough to try new things on your PC, then fair enough.

Just don't try to say that FF has more problems that IE, which is a total lie.

D
  4. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 17:56
    "The problem, as I see it, is that it is not as simple as putting [b]the appropriate tags into the original html code."

In my profile I can see the code for my flag as:

If I want the name of the country when hoovering over tha flag, the code would be like:

This is totally within the html standards. I don't think there would be any need of Fir ...[text shortened]... the info of the country as well, and present it within the img-tag. But who am I to know...? [/b]
    You are viewing the problem from the frontend. Displaying the data, once you have it, is the easy part. Yes, you can use the 'title' attribute of the img tag to create a "tool tip" containing the country name or player rating.

But this is more of a backend database question. How is the data stored. If it is in 3rd normal form, you're likely to have a player table that only contains the country ID. You would then have a table containing the country ID to country name mapping. You would need to join these two tables to get the data which puts more load on the database. The same applies to the player data (e.g. rating) when joined with the forum data.

Of course, I don't know how the database is really structured or the load extra queries would put on the server. Only people with access to the backend can answer these questions. However, I do notice that when pulling up the 'Clan Member Info' page, it is relatively slow. I can only assume that this is because player data is being joined with clan data and the database is chugging a little harder.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 18:30
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Its interesting to see how Microsoft's illegal activities work on the clueless.
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/may2000/micr-m23.shtml

Well done on helping stifle innovation, promote monopolies, support of corporate bullying tactics and illegal practices.

But then, if you want to be bullied into using inferior software, as you say, that is your cho ...[text shortened]... h.

Just don't try to say that FF has more problems that IE, which is a total lie.

D
    This is your words. I don't agree. If you really think you have the Truth at your very hand, then we better continue this debate at "Spirituality forum".

If you object to my opinions, then I suggest you read my postings once more. Perhaps you understand better then.

If you say I am a liar, then I find it harassing.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 18:33
    You are viewing the problem from the frontend. Displaying the data, once you have it, is the easy part. Yes, you can use the 'title' attribute of the img tag to create a "tool tip" containing the country name or player rating.

But this is more of a backend database question. How is the data stored. If it is in 3rd normal form, you're likely to have ...[text shortened]... player data is being joined with clan data and the database is chugging a little harder.
    You're probably right. I don't know the internal structures of the databases RHP system uses. What I know is that one will always hold the accesses to all databases to an absolute minimum and that is probably what Russ et al are doing.

How are you doing this in FF? Do you have internal tables stored at the users systems? And update them whenever the info are available from RHP?
  7. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 18:55
    How are you doing this in FF? Do you have internal tables stored at the users systems? And update them whenever the info are available from RHP?
    I'm using a separate server, thanks to giantrobot of chessmob.org. Player information is collected when you view a game board or view someone's profile. The player data (rating and country ID) are grabbed from the page and sent to chessmob.org where it is stored in the database. Every time that you view a thread, the addon checks the local cache for the data and if it doesn't have it sends a request to chessmob.org for it. Everyone using the addon has access to the database so it is a community effort to build the database of player data.

This doesn't create additional load on RHP but rather distributes the load to your client and the chessmob.org server. Since the data sent and received is small and data is cached in the browser, the bandwidth used is kept at a minimum.

Of course, this means that real-time data is not always available and the dataset is not complete. It's my contention that it doesn't need to be complete (not everyone posts in the forums) and that it doesn't need to be real-time (rating data changes infrequently depending on the player and country data should change even less frequently).
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 19:12
    I'm using a separate server, thanks to giantrobot of chessmob.org. Player information is collected when you view a game board or view someone's profile. The player data (rating and country ID) are grabbed from the page and sent to chessmob.org where it is stored in the database. Every time that you view a thread, the addon checks the local cache for the ...[text shortened]... nfrequently depending on the player and country data should change even less frequently).
    Clever, I must say!

In your opinion, is it possible to do the same thing in IE? Or are we locked out completely from such a solution, thanks to Mr Bill Gates the almighty?
  9. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 19:34
    Clever, I must say!

In your opinion, is it possible to do the same thing in IE? Or are we locked out completely from such a solution, thanks to Mr Bill Gates the almighty?
    To be honest, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the IE architecture. I would assume that it would require creating a "new" browser that used the IE rendering engine. Firefox makes adding "extensions" or "addons" very simple.

It might be possible to create a Greasemonkey for IE script that integrates the functionality but I haven't looked into the features of gm4ie to know if it is possible.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 20:26
    To be honest, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the IE architecture. I would assume that it would require creating a "new" browser that used the IE rendering engine. Firefox makes adding "extensions" or "addons" very simple.

It might be possible to create a Greasemonkey for IE script that integrates the functionality but I haven't looked into the features of gm4ie to know if it is possible.
    This thread turned out to be a very pleasant one.
    Thank you, ouroboros, for your comment in this subject.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 20:431 edit
    Palynka: "What problems here stem from Firefox?"
    I won't go further into this line than this: When I see people having problems, they are adviced to use methods that has nothing to do with IE. Therefore I conclude the problem must be FF oriented.
    Mmm... Ever wondered that perhaps it is because with FF there are easy solutions to that problem?

Just look at this thread for one example.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 20:51
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Mmm... Ever wondered that perhaps it is because with FF there are easy solutions to that problem?

Just look at this thread for one example.
    Please, reread my opinions in this thread.
    I don't think I have to repeat myself.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 20:551 edit
    Please, reread my opinions in this thread.
    I don't think I have to repeat myself.
    I don't want you to repeat yourself. I'm just explaining to you that when a solution with Firefox is presented doesn't mean the problem was with Firefox.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 05:39
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I don't want you to repeat yourself. I'm just explaining to you that when a solution with Firefox is presented doesn't mean the problem was with Firefox.
    Which part of my statements didn't you understand?
  15. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 07:59
    Dudes, et al

Mr. Russ categorically stated a few months ago in this forum that the tooltip for country names as you hover over flags is never going to happen.

It's no big loss really. Learn your flags or get greasemonkey.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree