delete inactive members

delete inactive members

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Here

Moves
23 Mar 07

something that would help this site is if people that have not moved within the past year be deleted

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
23 Mar 07

How would that help the site at all?

b

Here

Moves
23 Mar 07

it would take off a lot of the people on "Find Player" and also when you seach by country because there are some people that I have seen who have not moved for 500+ days

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by beatlemania
something that would help this site is if people that have not moved within the past year be deleted
What if they had to go and do some kind of duty for a year and wanted to carry on when they get back? Not only Armed Forces personnel, but volunteers in third world countries? Imagine having survived drought and famine, bullets and bombs, or worse, and the thing that kept someone going was that when they got back they were going to win a game, only to find that they'd been removed?

One of my clan members in currently in Afghanistan. He hasn't played for 190 days, and he won't move for another 200 at least. He's still got 2 clan games going and his opponents haven't timed him out (yet...). I'll be happy to see him back.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
23 Mar 07

it would take off a lot of the people on "Find Player" and also when you seach by country because there are some people that I have seen who have not moved for 500+ days
So what happens to all the games they played? Do they disappear to? Wouldn't want old games cluttering up the Public Games page.

Moves
23 Mar 07

good point!

stitching you up

Moves
23 Mar 07
1 edit

maybe move them to an 'inactive player' status? They would reactivate their account instantly just by logging in or making a move, but if they hadn't moved for 3/6/12 months they wouldn't appear on searches or player tables.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by belgianfreak
maybe move them to an 'inactive player' status? They would reactivate their account instantly just by logging in or making a move, but if they hadn't moved for 3/6/12 months they wouldn't appear on searches or player tables.
Stopping them from posting in the forums would be a posative move.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
[i]positive

stitching you up

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
sorry, I don't follow. Are you suggesting that people who hadn't moved should be restricted from posting? You of course know that this would simply result in people creating games simply to allow them to post

DMM

USA

Moves
25 Mar 07

ALL, I have to say to the people who complain about this is...TOUGH!!!

S

Moves
25 Mar 07

I think most sites never delete old, inactive accounts because they can boast to having 200,000+ members or whatever, even though maybe only 50,000 may have used a site in the last year.
The boast can be used for revenue-raising motives. A site that, on the face of it seems well-populated would be more attractive to join & subscribe to than if you knew only 25% of the total membership still actually use it.
Of course a member may re-join after a year or more, but I would think this happens fairly infrequently.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
25 Mar 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
I think most sites never delete old, inactive accounts because they can boast to having 200,000+ members or whatever, even though maybe only 50,000 may have used a site in the last year.
The boast can be used for revenue-raising motives. A site that, on the face of it seems well-populated would be more attractive to join & subscribe to than if you kne ...[text shortened]... e a member may re-join after a year or more, but I would think this happens fairly infrequently.
My account was closed at another chess site because I hadn't moved in thirty days. It didn't bother me because I don't play there, but just saying that it does happen. And there are people who haven't moved in 300-650 days but post on the forums. That seems a bit tacky at best.

DS

Moves
25 Mar 07

There's a few active players I'd like to delete. 😉

R
Different

Moves
26 Mar 07

Me too...like that Dr Strangelove...who ever comes up with a screen name like that, deserves to be deleted. 😉