1. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    55475
    26 Sep '07 13:27
    I would like to email or download the games of other players.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    26 Sep '07 16:291 edit
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    I would like to email or download the games of other players.
    One by one is possible, by copy and paste.
    A whole bunch is not possible, only your own.
    But I support the idea, though.
  3. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    55475
    26 Sep '07 17:03
    It looks like downloading a file would be faster and better than email. I may want to examine the games of a particular player, opening, endgame motif. The database is huge and could be a great resource for knowledge.
  4. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    16087
    26 Sep '07 17:23
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    It looks like downloading a file would be faster and better than email. I may want to examine the games of a particular player, opening, endgame motif. The database is huge and could be a great resource for knowledge.
    Have you tried the games explorer?

    It's not complete - but there are a lot of games in there for people on the site. I think the idea is it gets refreshed every so often.

    http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer

    There are also the masters games to wade through.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    26 Sep '07 18:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    One by one is possible, by copy and paste.
    A whole bunch is not possible, only your own.
    But I support the idea, though.
    Downloading somebody's entire game database IS possible. Just not through the RHP interface.

    I believe the plan is to have this implemented as part of the Games Explorer.

    D
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    26 Sep '07 19:23
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Downloading somebody's entire game database IS possible. Just not through the RHP interface.

    I believe the plan is to have this implemented as part of the Games Explorer.

    D
    Is it possible now, or is it a future plan?
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    27 Sep '07 18:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Is it possible now, or is it a future plan?
    It is possible now.

    It is also a future plan to incorporate the functionality into the GUI of RHP. Read my first post in this thread.

    D
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    27 Sep '07 21:17
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It is possible now.

    It is also a future plan to incorporate the functionality into the GUI of RHP. Read my first post in this thread.

    D
    You mean the "Downloading somebody's entire game database IS possible. Just not through the RHP interface." part?

    What interfaces are available to the game database exept the RHP one?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    28 Sep '07 11:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You mean the "Downloading somebody's entire game database IS possible. Just not through the RHP interface." part?

    What interfaces are available to the game database exept the RHP one?
    Interfaces that you write yourself, maybe. All I know is that downloading an entire user's games IS possible. How do I know this? Because a user has emailed me my entire game database in the past, which he got from the RHP database.

    There is a difference between impossible (as you stated in your original reply) and difficult.

    D
  10. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    55475
    28 Sep '07 12:52
    I could write a client code to fetch this information in a matter of minutes, but that is very inefficient and would consume a large amount of bandwidth if used extensively. Client code would have to open just as many web pages internally as you would by hand. That wastes a lot of time and computer resources. Server code would be much better for all concerned.

    Let me explain how easy this would be to implement. Now we are allowed to email our own games. The default player is the member. Adding a simple text field asking for a member's alias is all that is required (other than validation of course). So we are debating somethingn as simple as adding a single line of HTML code to the email script already written.

    Obtaining the games of masters is not my objective. You can download those games from lots of sites. It is of interest to me to download just the games of a player. It helps to study the games of an opponent before you play. And believe me most of the games I play are not with masters.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    28 Sep '07 13:40
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    Let me explain how easy this would be to implement. Now we are allowed to email our own games. The default player is the member. Adding a simple text field asking for a member's alias is all that is required (other than validation of course). So we are debating somethingn as simple as adding a single line of HTML code to the email script already writt ...[text shortened]... s of an opponent before you play. And believe me most of the games I play are not with masters.
    As I said in my first post, I believe that admin plan on including this functionality.

    I don't believe anybody is debating that your idea is a good one. Fabian said it was impossible to do at the moment, which is factually incorrect.

    As for the implementation, I think you underestimating possible problems associated with this functionality. True, it may be only 1 line of code, but imagine if every player on the site started downloading hundreds of thousands of games at the same time?

    D
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    28 Sep '07 13:50
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Interfaces that you write yourself, maybe. All I know is that downloading an entire user's games IS possible. How do I know this? Because a user has emailed me my entire game database in the past, which he got from the RHP database.

    There is a difference between impossible (as you stated in your original reply) and difficult.

    D
    Okay, now I know what you mean.

    Through RHP normal user interface it is not (?) possible right now, but if you write some code yourself, it is possible - and I know how it's done, I've done it myself to get information from another site.

    But the original question was "I would like to email or download the games of other players." and from that point of view it is not (?) possible, using any functionality that RHP offers. If the poster know some programming he would know how to do it without even asking.

    The answer stands.
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    2683
    28 Sep '07 18:04
    In Thread 73560 this question was also asked.
Back to Top