1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 14:45
    Since Thread 163240 is closed I Launch the idea anew.
  2. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 01:45
    The last post (BigDogg's) in that thread shows the complexity of the coding task required, given that the standard chess positions are fixed and the FR positions have many possibilities. Unless there is a huge demand for FR games on this site I can't see it happening.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 04:38
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The last post (BigDogg's) in that thread shows the complexity of the coding task required, given that the standard chess positions are fixed and the FR positions have many possibilities. Unless there is a huge demand for FR games on this site I can't see it happening.
    Only way to find out if there could be a huge demand is to implement the rules properly.

It's becoming a standard feature on turn-based chess sites. RHP errs by not fixing it, complex though the coding task may be.
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 13:09
    I would offer to do some of the coding. The algorithm is described, the coding is mainly to do the "Translation":

Quote: After castling, the rook and king's final positions are exactly the same positions as they would be in standard chess. Thus, after a-side castling (notated as O-O-O and known as queen-side castling in orthodox chess), the King is on c (c1 for White and c8 for Black) and the Rook is on d (d1 for White and d8 for Black). After h-side castling (notated as O-O and known as king-side castling in orthodox chess), the King is on g and the Rook is on f. It is recommended that a player state "I am about to castle" before castling, to eliminate potential misunderstanding. [http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/Fischer_Random_Chess.html]

The problematic Point is probably to intorduce castling Buttons as new elements, which could be usefule for the Standard games also anyhow.
  5. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 17:302 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable

introduce castling Buttons as new elements, which could be useful for the Standard games also anyhow.
    Excellent idea...excellent I say...
    Another goody would be to have tournament offers in Fischer Random as well as single games.
  6. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 17:49
    I agree the more variety the better.
  7. Joined
    13 May '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 17:51
    I love the idea of Fischer Random chess. If there was a tournament of this kind I would definitely play. Thanks for considering it!

Henry (hklee)
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 18:02
    Very good idea!
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 19:13
    Originally posted by eriron
    Very good idea!
    A big thumbs up from me.

-VR
  10. Victor, New York
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 19:40
    I agree with this suggestion.
  11. Subscribertamperman
    TAMPERMAN
    NOTTINGHAM
    Moves
    18 Jul '16 22:14
    I'm all for more choices, variety, the spice of life.
  12. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 13:18
    Originally posted by tamperman
    I'm all for more choices, variety, the spice of life.
    A while back Russ stated that "alternative chess" was in the works.
    Where did the works go?
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by LEUR
    A while back Russ stated that "alternative chess" was in the works.
    Where did the works go?
    I had developed a whole new code base for the games which supported many variants. I literally was coding up page after page from a variants book - but found it wasn't a good fit with the RHP code as it stood at the time. (And now, actually)

The vote on the subject back in 2009 didn't fill me with confidence that many people even wanted it either.

I will have a look at "crowbarring" 960 in, as the castling is the only issue*, but I can't prioritise it right away.

*And the related FEN funnies.
  14. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 17:15
    Originally posted by Russ
    I had developed a whole new code base for the games which supported many variants. I literally was coding up page after page from a variants book - but found it wasn't a good fit with the RHP code as it stood at the time. (And now, actually)

The vote on the subject back in 2009 didn't fill me with confidence that many people even wanted it either.

I w ...[text shortened]... tling is the only issue*, but I can't prioritise it right away.

There it is...thank you sir.
  15. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Sep '16 10:36
    Originally posted by Russ

I w ...[text shortened]... tling is the only issue*, but I can't prioritise it right away.

Thank you, we will silently watch and see.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree