1. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 00:02
    i think it would be a good idea to implement a floor rating that you may not drop below.....obviously dependent on the person and have some formula to calcualte it. it would prevent 1700s entering in 1400 rated tournaments if they have taken a break from the site for some reason( i admit im in a couple of these tournaments).....what do you guys think
  2. Earth Prime
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 01:46
    Clearly not a new idea. Then you have the possibility of a 2000 player letting a bunch of games go to timeout, he can't drop below, say, 1800, so 50 people get credit for beating a player with rating 1800, and it adds to rating inflation.

Worse. The now 1800 player could lose games on purpose. He doesn't lose anything, and his 'friends' all get big rating boosts.
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 02:31
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Clearly not a new idea. Then you have the possibility of a 2000 player letting a bunch of games go to timeout, he can't drop below, say, 1800, so 50 people get credit for beating a player with rating 1800, and it adds to rating inflation.

Worse. The now 1800 player could lose games on purpose. He doesn't lose anything, and his 'friends' all get big rating boosts.
    oh its not a new idea.....are you serious, wow i never knew that [thick sarcasm], so you dont think its a good idea, and thats fine, you gave some good reasons not to have it.....for me, i could do without the obvious statements, theyre just not needed
  4. Standard memberMcKnights
    Marshall McKnights
    Florida
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 03:24
    Originally posted by Coconut

Actually you would have a point there, but if they only drop the egilibility to enter the tourney to that rating, but the players actual rating could go below that, it just the tourney rating that wont go below that number
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 04:00
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    oh its not a new idea.....are you serious, wow i never knew that [thick sarcasm], so you dont think its a good idea, and thats fine, you gave some good reasons not to have it.....for me, i could do without the obvious statements, theyre just not needed
    such a nice person
  6. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 11:39
    Originally posted by McKnights
    Actually you would have a point there, but if they only drop the egilibility to enter the tourney to that rating, but the players actual rating could go below that, it just the tourney rating that wont go below that number
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there, each player could have an actual rating and a tournament eligibility rating, shouldn't be too hard and would be based on each players highest ever rating - I'm sure some clever bod could work out a suitable calculation.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 13:21
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there, each player could have an actual rating and a tournament eligibility rating, shouldn't be too hard and would be based on each players highest ever rating - I'm sure some clever bod could work out a suitable calculation.
    Its been done...

Read through the thread below from the linked post to see probably the best solution to the banded tournaments problem.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree