1. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 03:401 edit
    Don't we have enough time to move when we already have the option to have a time out period of 21 days and a time bank of 28? Why even more? This site is in dire need of a featurectomy.

I'm currently playing against someone who played VERY quickly in the game that he was winning, but he started to slow down in the other game as soon as he started to lose. EVEN THOUGH he plays nearly every day, he's managed to use up his 14 day time bank with a 7 day time out. And just before his time bank ran out, you guessed it, he went on holiday.

Or so the sign says. It's remarkable how often someone still plays while on holiday, while completely ignoring the games he's losing. It's just not fair.
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 04:02
    this seems vaguely familiar
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 09:54
    Originally posted by StrayJay
    And just before his time bank ran out, you guessed it, he went on holiday.

Or so the sign says. It's remarkable how often someone still plays while on holiday, while completely ignoring the games he's losing. It's just not fair.
    Post the game with timestamps.

Why are you so desperate for timeout wins? If you want more active games, then start some more. If your opponent stalls his lost game against you while winning his won games, then it means more points for you.

BTW: I think playing on in totally lost positions is ruder than playing on during your timeout immunity period. But then, your also free to do that if you wish, like your opponent is allowed to use his vacation time any way he wants.

D
  4. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 11:49
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Why are you so desperate for timeout wins?
    I'm not desperate for time out wins, I just want to win. My rating is higher than ever (1570) and I'd like to push it to 1600. There are, however, a couple of games I'm about to lose, so I need to win some games, quickly.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: I did already apologize to the people whose games I'm stalling right now, because I'm losing them. 🙂
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 13:092 edits
    I'm not desperate for time out wins, I just want to win. My rating is higher than ever (1570) and I'd like to push it to 1600. There are, however, a couple of games I'm about to lose, so I need to win some games, quickly.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: I did already apologize to the people whose games I'm stalling right now, because I'm losing them. 🙂
    If you ARE rated 1600 you will BE rated 1600. Take your lost games now, and play some fresh games and win those.

Otherwise, you are just complaining because you are not able to inflate your rating right now.

Again, if you ARE rated 1600 you WILL be rated 1600. Play on, don't complain you should be able to win a game to boost your rating while you KNOW you have some lost games going on. If you're rated 1600, your rating will say 1600 in your profile.

Right now, you are not.

Also note: If you stall your lost games waiting to win THIS game your rating will go down MORE than if you take those lost games now. Check the math.

Also, so you know... I like the idea of getting rid of the vacation system. I make all my games 7/7 or 7/14 so I have plenty of time to vanish if I need. Unfortunately, the vote went overwhelmingly towards a vacation stystem on top of our timebank system. It's redundant all over again as well as redundant.

P-
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 13:56

Please post the game in question with timestamps.

Go to my games, Email Games, Incomplete Games, and tick Include Move times.

I'm just curious to see how extreme this example is that you want to punish thousands of other players over it.

D
  7. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 14:21
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you ARE rated 1600 you will BE rated 1600.
    I'm NOT a 1600 player, that's why it's nice to reach that rating with some luck, all the same. If only for 15 minutes. (Warhol reference intended 🙂)
  8. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 14:30
    I'm just curious to see how extreme this example is that you want to punish thousands of other players over it.
    Don't try to make me feel guilty over this. When you're a player sitting at an actual chess board, you know you shouldn't go shopping for two hours after making a move. So don't whine about going on holiday if you've had several days for each move AND a time bank.

The time bank isn't too bad an idea; something can happen making it impossible for a player to make a move. But to ALSO have 36 days (36!!! That's SEVEN workweeks!! Please tell me where can I apply for a job that'll give me 7 weeks off per year?) that you can use up at will, is just plain ridiculous. Don't start a game when you're going on holiday for 5 weeks.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 14:42
    Don't try to make me feel guilty over this. When you're a player sitting at an actual chess board, you know you shouldn't go shopping for two hours after making a move. So don't whine about going on holiday if you've had several days for each move AND a time bank.

The time bank isn't too bad an idea; something can happen making it impossible for a play ...[text shortened]... s just plain ridiculous. Don't start a game when you're going on holiday for 5 weeks.
    Don't worry pal, I think it's a great idea to do away with it too.
    If the vote had been for all members it would never have been the same outcome.

I say punish the lot of 'em! 😏
  10. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 14:52
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Don't worry pal, I think it's a great idea to do away with it too.
    If the vote had been for all members it would never have been the same outcome.
    I AM a paying member, have been for six years (one month interruption because I quit my credit card), but I don't remember being asked.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 15:151 edit
    I AM a paying member, have been for six years (one month interruption because I quit my credit card), but I don't remember being asked.
    Do you know where the votes are?

http://www.timeforchess.com/vote/index.php

It's still open.

I find it funny that it says 4 weeks, we voted on 4 weeks and that is 28 days in my book.

But we get 36 days. Thats and EXTRA 1.1428 WEEKS!

I'm getting mad NOW!

P-
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 15:18
    I'm NOT a 1600 player, that's why it's nice to reach that rating with some luck, all the same. If only for 15 minutes. (Warhol reference intended 🙂)
    Our rating is there to best reflect our rating. It's nice to see it go up, but if you play hard and learn it will go up.

As destiny has it, an user is NOT letting you win yet. This is foolish, because by math that user would have a better rating to drop the lost games and move on to a game they will win. I've done the math a few times.

There are variables that may change the results, but for the most part if you finish your lost games and move on to a won game your rating will be slightly higher than if you collect and stall on lost games.

P-
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 15:18

The time bank isn't too bad an idea; something can happen making it impossible for a play ...[text shortened]... s just plain ridiculous. Don't start a game when you're going on holiday for 5 weeks.
    Don't try to make me feel guilty over this.
    Just trying to get some facts. The fact that you won't post the pgn with move times implies that you are overstating your opponent's behaviour.

Having said that, I believe I'm well within my right of accusing you of wanting to punish thousands of players. What you want to do is ensure that players who have invested months of time in their games lose all their hard work when something unexpected comes up.

Timebank and vacation run concurrently. Your timebank will run down while your vacation is on, so to say that you are also adding on 36 days isn't strictly true.

Don't start a game when you're going on holiday for 5 weeks.
    I'm still taking part in a tournament on here which started in 2004, over 3 years ago. Do you honestly expect me to know that I'm going on holiday for 5 weeks when I entered that tournament 3 years ago?

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the unfortunately misnamed vacation flag. Do some background reading...
    Thread 71612
    Thread 69651

D
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 15:23
    You do realise that manipulating your rating in this way will mess up your ability to enter banded tournies for 100 days?

D
  15. Standard memberStrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    Amsterdam, NL
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 15:311 edit
    You do realise that manipulating your rating in this way will mess up your ability to enter banded tournies for 100 days?
    I didn't know that, but since I don't participate in tournaments it's no big deal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree