1. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 11:56
    With the repetition of stupid questions on this site, (amongst others... What is a rec? Why did my rating go down even though I won? Why can I not start a new game even though I only have 5? etc), I propose a new feature in the posting section, limited to newbies (who can be defined in a number of different ways).

The question, which they get before the can click on post, is: I have read the FAQ, and understand that if my question is in the FAQ and I ask it anyway I will be taken out back and shot. Furthermore, I have made an attempt to at least look through Page 1 and Page 2 of the Help forum to see if my question was recently asked.

I agree I disagree
  2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 12:30
    The FAQ should be a "sticky": always at the top of the help forum.

This has been suggested before (using Russ' trick of cheating on the post date to keep an admin post at the top).

It still wouldn't help with the shockingly lazy who can't even be bothererd to look at the first few help posts, let alone page 1 or the help section.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 12:37
    Originally posted by Alcra
    With the repetition of stupid questions on this site, (amongst others... What is a rec? Why did my rating go down even though I won? Why can I not start a new game even though I only have 5? etc), I propose a new feature in the posting section, limited to newbies (who can be defined in a number of different ways).

The question, which they get before the ...[text shortened]... and Page 2 of the Help forum to see if my question was recently asked.

I agree I disagree
    Maybe a mandatory tour of the FAQ for new members would be useful.

When someone opens an account here, during the registration process they could be taken through the Help/FAQ pages and be forced to read each page before proceeding to the final steps of getting their account and username.

Of course that would not guarantee they have actually read the information, but maybe it would at least make them aware of it's existance.

Just a thought.
    Marc
  4. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 14:56

The question, which they get before the ...[text shortened]... and Page 2 of the Help forum to see if my question was recently asked.

I agree I disagree
    I see no reason to take people "out back" to shoot them. Most people could easily be shot right where they are.

Ok, seriously, I don't think people are too lazy to read the FAQ. I think they just join up and immediately want to start playing chess. So they ignore everything else, get a game(s) going and away they go. Then of course they run into a problem in the middle of a game and they think the quicketstway to get an awnser is to post a question in the forum. Of course it's not.

I like it when posters refer new people to the FAQ in responses here. That seems to work. Doesn't solve the long term problem, but it may have helped a lot of others that we never saw asking questions here.
  5. WORK
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 19:23
    Maybe this is a good time to ask.

How come my Horsey piece isnt capturing pieces as it hops over them?
    Is the program bugged?
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 22:06
    Originally posted by Weadley
    Maybe this is a good time to ask.

How come my Horsey piece isnt capturing pieces as it hops over them?
    Is the program bugged?
    The horsey piece can hop over things!?!!!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!??
  7. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 08:29
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The horsey piece can hop over things!?!!!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!??
    Only if it's a leap year.
  8. Subscriberinvigorateonline
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 10:10

I agree I disagree
    I disagree.

These questions are harmless.

Older member of the community can choose whether to help or hinder the newbie. Chess is complex and websites are confusing by nature to many. A quick question in the forum is often easier than trapsing through endless FAQ's, especially if English is not your first language.
  9. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 16:09

I agree I disagree
    What's a FAQ?

😛
  10. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 09:51
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    What's a FAQ?

😛
    Its all explained in the FAQ!
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 12:39
    Personally, I think no-one on this website should be allowed to play a game until they have passed three sets of exams over, say, five years on both the game and the detailed operations of RHP. We should also have a panel of proper RHP users who understand these things who will operate a black-ball system to keep such unworthy users out.

Alternatively, and I know this is way out there, real blue-sky thinking, but we could, just possibly, answer their questions politely and helpfully, encourage them and, above all, be patient.

Remember that we were all beginners once and that what was most frustrating when we were trying to get to grips with this most (wonderfully) infuriating of games was having some jumped so and so lecturing us about how we are doing everything wrong.

I have got off my horse now.

12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 12:57
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Maybe a mandatory tour of the FAQ for new members would be useful.

When someone opens an account here, during the registration process they could be taken through the Help/FAQ pages and be forced to read each page before proceeding to the final steps of getting their account and username.

Of course that would not guarantee they have actually read the ...[text shortened]... mation, but maybe it would at least make them aware of it's existance.

Just a thought.
    Marc
    Please! The second they "force" me to read the FAQ before I start playing is the second I say "You're not the boss of me" and get the hell out of dodge.

To this day I have still never read the Terms of Service.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 13:241 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    To this day I have still never read the Terms of Service.
    So you aren't aware of the conditions about first borne daughters and the like? Oh dear, may be now is the time...

-Russ
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 13:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    So you aren't aware of the conditions about first borne daughters and the like? Oh dear, may be now is the time...

-Russ
    ... to bear a daughter? 😉
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 15:45
    Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
    Oh, crap! I guess I've got some reading to do...

😳

P

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree